It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 am

Greetings From the Mountains of California & a Question 

Post Greetings From the Mountains of California & a Question
Hey folks! Just picked up my Stick. It's serial number 900 from the 80s!
What's everybody's preferred way to learn the Stick? Anyone offering online lessons? I ordered some of the documentation from the web site. I dig just playing around but I know I need a more regimented approach.
Thanks!

Wed May 31, 2023 3:49 pm

Post Re: Greetings From the Mountains of California & a Question
Welcome aboard!

I'm a total newbie at this too, having just got a Polycarbonate 34" scale, '89 10-string (2758) about a month ago! I've been busy working on a restoration of it (see attached pic! YIKES!).

It still hasn't gotten any playing miles on it yet! I finally got around to ordering strings and a new strap! Now the waiting begins! LOL

From what what I've heard and seen around here as well as on line, the late Greg Howard had some incredibly easy tutorials (most of which have been posted on YouTube). He was kind of like one of the ultimate JEDI MASTERS of the instrument, knew a TON about the history of the instrument, knew Emmett personally and of course, could play like nobody's business!

But of course like I said, his videos are top notch and easy to understand!

Again, welcome!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ZenJim wrote:
Anyone offering online lessons?

Steve Adelson offers online lessons via Skype. Check out his post from earlier today: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16634

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Wed May 31, 2023 9:29 pm

basscapes wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I'm a total newbie at this too, having just got a Polycarbonate 34" scale, '89 10-string (2758) about a month ago! I've been busy working on a restoration of it (see attached pic! YIKES!).

It still hasn't gotten any playing miles on it yet! I finally got around to ordering strings and a new strap! Now the waiting begins! LOL

From what what I've heard and seen around here as well as on line, the late Greg Howard had some incredibly easy tutorials (most of which have been posted on YouTube). He was kind of like one of the ultimate JEDI MASTERS of the instrument, knew a TON about the history of the instrument, knew Emmett personally and of course, could play like nobody's business!

But of course like I said, his videos are top notch and easy to understand!

Again, welcome!

Thanks Basscapes. I had a white polycarbonate back in the day for a brief while but had to sell it for "reasons." Wish I didn't.
Your case looks pretty bad. My current Stick I bought used and the case was literally turning to dust. That crap got everywhere. Took me a day to clean it and restring it. Sounds sweet though. Now I have to put new foam in the case.
I've been checking out some of Greg's videos on You Tube, good to know he's a good source.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am

baggetthouse wrote:
ZenJim wrote:
Anyone offering online lessons?

Steve Adelson offers online lessons via Skype. Check out his post from earlier today: https://stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16634

Thanks baggetthouse!

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:09 am

ZenJim wrote:
basscapes wrote:
Welcome aboard!

I'm a total newbie at this too, having just got a Polycarbonate 34" scale, '89 10-string (2758) about a month ago! !

Thanks Basscapes. I had a white polycarbonate back in the day for a brief while but had to sell it for "reasons." Wish I didn't.
Your case looks pretty bad. My current Stick I bought used and the case was literally turning to dust. That crap got everywhere. Took me a day to clean it and restring it. Sounds sweet though. Now I have to put new foam in the case.
I've been checking out some of Greg's videos on You Tube, good to know he's a good source.

No problem!

Luckily at my Day Job, I was able to snag some seriously good packing foam that I can cut to fit (as another stockist here did.

Only issue is that mine is WHITE! LOL

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As always, YMMV, but I’ve made pretty good progress from Greg’s instructional videos on basic technique and have been working my way through Greg’s “Tapping Into Bach” method book. Getting to a point where Mr. Adelson is probably going to get a call.

I was trying to connect with Greg for some in-person instruction when apparently his illness got worse, but you can do a lot with the materials he’s left us.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey ZenJim, and all,

I have used instructional materials by Greg Howard, Bob Culbertson, and Steve Adelson, which are all phenomenal....but also taking face to face online instruction provides something printed or video materials do not: direct feedback from your instructor on your performance, techniques, concepts etc.
Personally, I have been working with Steve Adelson via Skype, and the direct feedback from Steve immediately moved my playing light years ahead. That's what has worked for me.

Wishing you a lifetime of enjoyment and creativity on your Stick journey!

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:20 pm