It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Hello from Santa Cruz 

Post Hello from Santa Cruz
Excited to join this community and hopefully soon purchase my first stick and... wondering if there is anyone i the monterey bay area or san jose area / silicon valley area who would be willing to introduce me to the instrument?

i have experience playing keyboards, guitar, bass, and percussion so this seems like a natural fit and fun challenge!

I'd like to make the right purchase decision on the first try regarding 10 vs 12 string, wood vs railboard, active vs passive pickups, etc. plus I also have a 1/2" shorter index finger on my right hand due to an accident and am wondering how this might limit my abilities.

The lead time for a new instrument is quite long! but it seems there are some limitations for tunings, string gauges, or other issues with some of the older used instruments. (around what serial number do these issues become non-issues?)

I will of course dig through previous board posts, but any pointers to discussions or other resources comparing instruments, pickups, purchasing used, etc. would be greatly appreciated :))

Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Hello from Santa Cruz
Welcome!

A Stick purchase, especially if ordered new from Stick Enterprises, can involve so many variables that your head can spin...analysis paralysis definitely lives here. :-) It also doesn't help that some of the used instruments out there, that might be worth considering, are over-priced. As part of your research, be sure to look at sold instrument data, which I believe Reverb.com can provide.

Generally speaking, when considering used instruments: IMO, if there's one feature to use as a litmus test, it's the adjustable truss rod. After that, again IMO, it's the adjustable "3D" bridge, which lets you adjust intonation and provides flexibility for changing to different string gauges (ie light/medium/heavy).

Other tidbits: a well set-up Stick holds resale value very nicely. If you spend money on a good instrument, new or used, you can probably get most or all of it back if you decide to sell it and get a different one. Finally, a well set-up Stick, even if you eventually decide you want a different configuration, is still going to be awesome to play. Assuming it's in good condition, "This was a terrible purchase!" isn't something I've ever heard someone say about a first Stick.

Shameless plug for the Tap In Time podcast...we did a pair of episodes aimed at the first-time Stick purchaser not too long ago that might be helpful. The first took it on from a philosophical standpoint, and the second dived into some of the specific details/options.

https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-1/
https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-2/

Enjoy the journey, it's a wonderful instrument!

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dean Kobayashi might be able to help too - I know that he headed up the NorCal Stick Circle for a while.

There is also a FHF on that topic too:

Hopefully it is a process that brings joy and learning - stickists peeps are pretty friendly so run those eBay and reverb.com adds by us - no shortage of (mostly) good opinions =)

Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

great stuff! exactly what i was looking for. thank you both :)

Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:38 am