It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 pm

Hello again! 

Post Hello again!
Hi Folks ...
I had a 10 string graphite years ago, and sold it. It was too synthetic for me somehow, nothing wrong with the instrument, we just didn't gel. Did make some good sounds, though.
Just bought an early wooden stick, #617, but not received yet. Planning to approach this in a more structured fashion this time, and I love the feel and patina of older instruments.
The machine has a very basic bridge arrangement - a piece of steel with slots, and it has 10 saddles which are slotted screws. Wonderfully medieval.
Hope you're all well and ... sticking to things...
Jas

Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:47 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Hello again!
I like the vintage Sticks as well. They have a good tone and are fun to play. When you get your Stick, please post some photos. I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

Sticky Fox wrote:
Hi Folks ...
I had a 10 string graphite years ago, and sold it. It was too synthetic for me somehow, nothing wrong with the instrument, we just didn't gel. Did make some good sounds, though.
Just bought an early wooden stick, #617, but not received yet. Planning to approach this in a more structured fashion this time, and I love the feel and patina of older instruments.
The machine has a very basic bridge arrangement - a piece of steel with slots, and it has 10 saddles which are slotted screws. Wonderfully medieval.
Hope you're all well and ... sticking to things...
Jas

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Are you going to Stick it out this time? :D

Glad you're here, we can't wait to talk tuners, pickups and harpsichords with you...!!

Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank you @WerkSpace and @earthgene !
Pics will arrive, I'm super excited and keen to learn and share. I've also picked up a beautiful NS/Stick today. Again, not arrived yet but it'll be an interesting addition to my '80s Steinberger, and the Stick.
Stay well, friends.

Stick #617

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sticky Fox wrote:

I'm intrigued by the 'piece of steel with slots'? My 1985 #1642 only has the slotted screws. The 'rings' of the strings are retained in slots cut in the wood of the Stick itself (see bottom pic in this post, which was taken after I'd changed the original screws for a Baritone Melody set).

I'll be very interested to see your pics when your new (to you) Stick arrives. :)

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

David, I believe that he is talking about the tail of the instrument.
Mine is the same. See attached photo.

DavidWS wrote:
Sticky Fox wrote:

I'm intrigued by the 'piece of steel with slots'? My 1985 #1642 only has the slotted screws. The 'rings' of the strings are retained in slots cut in the wood of the Stick itself (see bottom pic in this post, which was taken after I'd changed the original screws for a Baritone Melody set).

I'll be very interested to see your pics when your new (to you) Stick arrives. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
David, I believe that he is talking about the tail of the instrument.
Mine is the same. See attached photo.

That would make sense. Thank you. I imagine that would mean that at some stage it had probably been back to Stick Enterprises?

Jas: As 'Stick returner' you're probably aware that if you contacted Jeff at SE with the number of your Stick he may be able to give you a bit of background? Probably at least when it was manufactured & maybe more? I'm sure they'd also be delighted to know of its new home (& might ask for a couple of pics for their archive).

Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:21 am

David, WerkSpace,
I am indeed talking about the tail. I will attach a picture, and you'll see the first thing I must do is give it a clean ... !
Notwithstanding that, you have given me valuable advice. I'd like to know more about it, and I'd like to share its provenance with the Most Honourable Curators of Medieval Stick Lore.
I can't help feeling, though, that she would benefit from a refreshed tail. A proper bridge would be a significant improvement. Is that heresy?

S. F.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stick #617

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sticky Fox wrote:
I can't help feeling, though, that she would benefit from a refreshed tail. A proper bridge would be a significant improvement. Is that heresy?

I believe that the spirit of Emmett would be right behind such a move. If you watch the memorial service video (you can find it from http://stick.com/news/emmett_in_memorium/) you'll hear Grace telling a tale about very very early Stick that came into the shop not long ago. It was one from the very first production batch. #3 if I recall correctly? A lot of people would have been wanting to put that into a museum. Not Emmett. He was keen to give it a full refurbish to make use of all that had been learnt & developed in the meantime and have the instrument leave the shop as playable as possible.

Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:09 am

David,
That is absolutely what I needed to know. :D It's not about history, money or logistics. It's about Emmett's vision (he reminds me in some ways of Steve Jobs, actually). I genuinely believe that his idea extends past wood and metalwork to how you use, own and cherish such an instrument. He clearly rejected the obsolescence approach to business, which is so refreshing!
I'll see if I can buy a bridge then - there's a fabulous one pictured on the site.
http://stick.com/about/innovation/bridge/ (pic attached below, too).

Grateful for your insights. I'll check out the 'memorium' link - thank you!
SF

Stick #617

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:25 am