It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

Another newbie from Metro Detroit 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Another newbie from Metro Detroit
Android, what do you mean in your last comment? Am I the only one that doesn't understand why you're mentioning the NJ bass center when we were talking about Oz's in MI?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Most likely referring that The Bass Center in Edison Jersey is more equipped than Oz's in Detroit. Anyway its milk sops.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Disjointed thought process YOU ARE SUPPOSSED TO READ MY MIND. I'm just sayin' runnin' in to a Stick in a Music Store is an odd occurance and anyone looking for that kind of Stick might be interested the guy is repudible he met Emmett at NAMM years ago and he gets Sticks from time to time. My post sounded weird when I re-read it...anyone want details PM me

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

what is milk sops

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've never been to Oz. Or Detroit. Love all music stores. Just sayin' Bass Center has some twisted shit. Along with lefty basses and the Stick I mentioned, and some nifty guitars, he had a BOOTSY BASS

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ah got it. You have to know Steve Oz to really know the heart and soul of the Michigan Stick playing community. Oz is a musician on a spiritual level, providing inexpensive lessons for kids (or free), awesome workshops for kids of all ages and he is a big time Stick advocate, perhaps one of the greatest. Just look at the Stick community in MI?

There are many awesome players from the region. Many. But only when I went to an Interlochen, did I see up close the connection that people in the area had to one another and their journey with the instrument.

Interlaken (however you spell it) - you gotta go at least once in your life. If you're lucky, you'll get a stroll with Glenn Poorman who will tell you all about inland seas, the importance of the cherries in the local economy, how to MIDI, how to properly look and how to make sense of your Rane Stick preamp if you have one.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Milk sops is a old English expression; = spilt milk := or like "no biggy". Being I got buddies in" jorsey " and I'm a lefty bassist might make a trip.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

As much as I love Jersey it's a wasteland of STUPID. (ie BonJovi across the river from me!. and my g.f.'s father was his gym teacher "Hey mister T, I finally cut my hair") I would love to be in an area that understands musicians playing music not "another cover" band I mean, WTF? Detroit or Austin, I'm ready to hitch my ride to trailer. I'll get there and sell tacos

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Gusset wrote:
Awesome, welcome aboard!

I'm always interested in learning the background of folks on the forum. Any chance of getting a few sentences of musical (and other?) biography?

Cheers!

So I’m mostly a guitar player, but I’ll try to play anything. Guitar, bass, mandolin, a little keyboard ( enough for rock and roll). Mostly self taught, but from a pretty musical family. I have reached that point in life where it’s easier to buy stuff than make time to play it which is how I ended up with all my gear... :D

My first job was a Peavey (my other musical weak spot) and had my cubicle neighbor insist that I listen to King Crimson. I wanted a stick ever since....

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
As much as I love Jersey it's a wasteland of STUPID. (ie BonJovi across the river from me!. and my g.f.'s father was his gym teacher "Hey mister T, I finally cut my hair") I would love to be in an area that understands musicians playing music not "another cover" band I mean, WTF? Detroit or Austin, I'm ready to hitch my ride to trailer. I'll get there and sell tacos

Some great musicians come out of Jersey, naming one of my favorites Al Dimeola.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery