It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Greetings from East Derby, CT !! 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Greetings from East Derby, CT !!
Hello friends….

Well, it took me a good 6, 7 months… but I finally got the Ironwood Stick that I have always wanted, and soon I look forwards to ordering new strings among other things from the fine people at Stick Enterprises once I get caught up on a few things.

I already have a few posts going here, so I’ll try and be brief but at the same time give you some insight of where I am at.

I’m from Brooklyn NY, [actually I'm originally from Germany] and spent a very good portion of the 1980s absorbing everything there was to absorb with the downtown NYC experimental art and music scene, performance art as well, where it was not unusual to see individuals playing their stringed instruments on the ground with mallets…..

By the late 1980s, I was making my own solo recordings in a bedroom studio I had going, tape based of course, and then by the 1990s I was in Connecticut furthering my studio ventures, and on occasion playing in actual bands, doing gigs… and bouncing back and forth between what was happening in New Haven and what was happening in Brooklyn.

About 12 years ago, it became apparent that I needed a much necessary break in music, with music.
About 9 years ago, it became very apparent that this was to happen, but not just yet… as I immersed myself one more time in the New Haven Experimental/Noise scene for one last time.

But now – I am coming to the end of a break of several years of complete inactivity, which during that time I crossed paths with a very special dog who needed a very special home, and it was the best deal I ever made, for my dog was able to rescue me from going further down the wrong path….

So, this year I’ve been firing up studio equipment to only find out that much of it needs servicing from sitting too long, also a serious ground fault problem is plaguing me – but that’s ok too, that just means I need to clean out all the dust inside my 1970s/1980s studio arrangement.

The Chapman Stick is an instrument which I became aware of around 1982, maybe 83… through Tony Levin’s magic with King Crimson, especially with Discipline… which is an album I still play quite regularly.

I believe these Ironwood Sticks hold real magic, and have a very special sound unlike anything else.
I also have all kinds of other instruments, and truth be told have an absolute fondness for Celtic folk music, harps, lyres, dulcimers, all things medieval so to speak.
Thumb pianos too… kalimba I think is the correct name.

So, I’ve been reading this forum for a while now…. and at the same time learning everything I can about the history of the Chapman Stick, and before you ask yes I will be ordering books from S.E. as well…..

Musically, I’m a huge fan of anything that makes me feel alive.
Like Sonic Youth, Philip Glass, Suzanne Vega, Jane Siberry, King Crimson, Trey Gunn Band…. Tony Gerballe…. Flipper, PiL, Wire… not to mention old friends from NYC the False Prophets…

But I also like what was happening in the late 1970s early 1980s which could be loosely termed Ambient Music.
Brian Eno, Harold Budd, Jon Hassel, all the artists on Obscure Records, Cluster, all the SKY records artists….
Of interest, while I was raised on Classical Music, today it is this kind of music which I listen to most.
I definitely am attracted to solo female voice and harp as well…..

As far as Stick players, obviously Tony Levin, and also Trey Gunn when he was with Fripp and Sylvan… and the first leg of the double trio KC tour before we switched to a Warr…

As far as other Stick players – let’s just say that I can’t wait to purchase a copy of this: “The Holly and the Ivy” by Greg Howard and Angela Kelly.
*Something about that cover just tells me that this will be truly one magical recording !!

As for me, I don’t plan on doing any performances outside of my own studio, truth be told as I age… my favorite concerts are sitting in my garden as the sun sets with a glass of beer, and listening to all the night sounds, while gazing the night sky, and enjoying the companionship of my dog, who is now getting older with me so I really make it a point to spend lots of time with her.

But I do feel I do have something to offer, if nothing else a very different perspective on things, since I come from a very different musical direction than most.

Although I’ve been involved with music since 1982, I still cannot read music, or even read notes.
I do completely understand things like tunings in 5ths, Major 3rds… as far as string relationships go, and also to this day can’t play popular cover songs even if my life depended on it.
But it nothing else, I am so happy to have finally acquired a nice mid 1980s Ironwood which I know will serve me well for many years to come and will most certainly be one of the few instruments I own which remains 100% bone stock.

I look forwards to reading lots of posts here, and I’ll comment on occasion – as I can tell already that there’s some really great people here - probably with too much detail than actually necessary, but that’s just the way I am….

Big George,
East Derby CT

PS… oh yeah, I’m not on line all the much so if someone writes me, or comments on something – it might take a day or two before I can properly reply.

Cheers Mates !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greetings from East Derby, CT !!
Welcome here!!! You have a very wide musical pallet. I especially like you knowing of Jon Hassell. I have ALL of his recordings and Earthquake Island is my favorite... Sorta reminds me of the early Weather Report years. Greg Howard is my main teacher, and I can not say enough about how he teaches and what he embodies about the instrument in all ways. Living in Seattle I have also been fortunate to study some with Trey Gunn, as he lives here. He also does Skype if you're interested! Again, welcome and enjoy your new musical vistas that lie ahead for you.

Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thank You, and yes.... Greg seems to be the man, I just ordered the Christmas CD he did with Angela Kelly on flute, and once S.E. gets in his instructional Stick video, I'll order that as well.

Jon Hassel's music totally changed my life.
I got into him right after Fourth World Vol 1 Possible Musics came out.

I believe he is still very much involved in music today.

Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Speaking of Trey... he gave me [possibly without realizing it] a very important lesson on humility.
I met him a few towns over when both himself and Joe Mendelsen [sp??] were doing an in-store record signing, and I brought of all things a late 1960s Coral 8 string bass, which I converted from a 4 string, then swapped the E and A strings around, to make things more interesting [I've been doing that for years, divided fingerboards even on 4 stringed instruments] and Trey was like, what is that - an electric bazoki ??
So I told him the story behind it, how I added the 4 octave strings [which can be tuned anyway one likes, for droning...] and Trey was like, well that is an unusual tuning - as it was completely detuned because the neck has two non adjustable truss rods.
Anyhow, Trey signed it for me... I got his Untune the Sky CD/DVD which both he and Joe signed.
I feel terrible today for not giving Joe more attention, but I had no idea at the time who he was or how great of a person/musician he was/is...

So anyhow, later on after the KC show at Toads Place, Trey is outside and I wanted his autograph again - and did not have a pen.

Trey looked at me with absolute disgust and said "you want everything" and I realized he was 100% right and my night was ruined because of my stupidity - and I was sober too !!

That was in 2003, and very recently I have come to terms with what Trey told me that night, and in a way my life is better now because of that exchange.

That being said, I could never ask Trey for a lesson, because I could never look him in the eye, because I still feel terrible from that night.

But Greg on the other hand, he seems like a very good teacher - and should the need arise where I need some guidance he will be the first to know....

Greg has already helped me by answering on another thread exact placement of the fingers vs the frets on the fingerboard.

I realize that everyone is going to have a different opinion there, as I myself have several opinions stemming from 25 years of electric bass playing where it all boils down to desired tone and accuracy.

Thanks again for your kind words.
You are truly lucky to have been able to study with Trey.

One of my long time musical collaborators out of NYC was taking the Guitar Craft classes in NYC around the same time Trey was, actually maybe a little afterwards so I see where Trey gets some of his ideas from as well.

Cheers...........

Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes... one thing I appreciate about Trey is his clarity and directness. IMHO... I would snag 2-3 lessons with Greg, sooner than later... And here is why... He can start you out in a way that will be useful and meaningful in this new endeavor. Spend the $ and the time to do this, you will not be disappointed. Then, Greg's, Free Hands video program is free and available on Youtube. That is what I would humbly suggest.

Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

lol Well, I guess next time you will have a pen when you ask for an autograph, lest you incur the wrath of a tapper... (oooo so scary!!)

I guess Trey COULD have just said "Sorry bro, I don't have a pen..." He should have been thankful that A) you knew who he was and B) extra thankful that maybe, just maybe that you paid money for some of his works.

Ah well, some folks are grateful for the opportunities and privileges of having their music heard and some aren't - easy as that.

Anyways, pleased to meet you! Looking forward to hearing you!

Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again, and good to see a mention of Brian Eno, the most significant musician in my life.

Fri May 17, 2019 5:02 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Mine too.
Listen, I saw that link you posted... I'm going to check that out a little later.
Happy we crossed paths again.

Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm