It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:35 pm

Hi 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Hi
Hi, i live in the United Kingdom.

I don't actually own a Stick, but have been in love with the instrument since the early 1990s when i discovered it as King Crimson enthusiast, and later through Trey Gunn's albums and his work on the Sylvian/Fripp collaboration.

Around that time i tried out a Stick at 'The Bass Centre' in London.
I am in a very bad long term financial situation so i have no hope of ever owning one, however if i did it would probably be a 10 string Grand tuned in a single region all-thirds tuning.
What i have done since the 1990s is own and modify 5 and 6 string basses for single region full-range tapping. I have used fifths tunings a lot (inspired by Robert Fripp) to extend the range of the low string count.

More stuff about me:

I have a physics degree and come from a family of engineers and musicians.
I have an obsessive interest in innovative and ergonomic guitar design.

When i started using the internet around 2003 i joined many extended range bass groups and discussed tunings, gauges, tensions a lot.

Around that time i discovered the D'Addario tension guide which was the most significant discovery in my musical life. Understanding the physics, since then i have worked with the maths of tension to design and discuss string sets.

Around 2008 i became interested in microtonality and the history of tuning systems. Through this i have a good understanding of the maths and physics of strings and tonal systems.
I have refretted 2 instruments to have 24 frets per octave (quartertones).

I have developed a special all-thirds tuning and system of playing that allows various microtonal and 'Just Intonation' tonal systems to be played on normally-fretted instruments. Maybe i'll share this here, as a tapping instrument with lots of strings is ideal for this.

Last edited by ixlramp on Thu May 02, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Hi
Welcome! If you’re the same ixlramp as on Bass Chat and Talk Bass then we’ve likely been on each other’s threads in the past, I certainly recognise the handle. I used to frequent those forums in the early noughties (less so now).

Where about in the UK are you based? I’m up in Nottingham.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i am 'ixlramp' on Basschat, Talkbass, Sevenstring and Tappistry forums.

I'm very careful about disclosing personal information, so publicly all i'll say is 'UK'. I appreciate the friendly inquiry though, and your reply :mrgreen:

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Come on Mr.dont be a spectator,the humbling experience was good for me.be adventurous.add it to your resume. Its all good.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hello ixlramp !!
I remember you from Tappistry, we were discussing tuning in 3rds... and well, now that that forum has ceased to exist I figured this would be a good time to move over here, not too mention that just a few hours ago, I took delivery of my very first Stick, an Ironwood from April of 1986.... which has made me very happy since this particular Stick is incredible as this may sound the Stick of my dreams.
I hope you are well.
Cheers !!
Big George Waters

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Tue May 14, 2019 4:43 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, good to see you here, especially since we had some good discussions on Tappistry, which was then abruptly closed down. I'm going to make a topic about Tappistry in the Teflon section.

Fri May 17, 2019 4:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Heads up on the thirds tuning. It is a taboo subject on this site. Here’s a link to the last thirds discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12016&hilit=Thirds

Fri May 17, 2019 6:07 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yup, I can see that… Christ, that thread is just plain nuts !! …and all because someone asked a question ??

*Well, the discussion I was referring to up above here happened on a totally different forum, regarding a totally different instrument that I made a point of purchasing because it was set up that way which really opened up some very exciting playing possibilities which I never even previously considered.

Also – I suppose now is a good time to reiterate that I bought my Ironwood Stick for a specific reason, and that’s because I am in love with the specific sound it makes when in its original Classic configuration, so no worries there.

Thanks for the tip.

I will refrain from having an open mind here from this moment on.

It's all Good.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
I will refrain from having an open mind here from this moment on.
As an alternative, you might consider the merits of not giving a bad moment such a heavy weight in forming an opinion.

That's a broad brush you're painting with.

Just sayin'.

(note: a group of Stickists, including many folks in the thread you've just read, recently contributed financially to replace a stolen instrument with a brand new one, for a player who tunes his instrument in thirds.)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat May 18, 2019 11:11 am
Contributor
Contributor

Big George Waters, don't let that thread get to you :mrgreen: Most agree it got silly and most support the use of alternative tunings. Please don't be discouraged by it, i appreciate your open mind. I think Markussz's post was meant humorously and to point out the sillyness of that thread.

Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 pm