It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:19 pm

Hello Folks, Another Newbie Here .. 

Post Hello Folks, Another Newbie Here ..
I've been bitten by the Stick bug recently after watching some remarkable videos on YouTube.
Hello to Greg! Just ordered your DVD.

I'm an old guitar/bass player with lots of hands on experience tinkering with luthiery . I acquired a stick like instrument off of E-Bay to begin my journey. The previous owner sold it as a ten string bass, but I found it to be totally un-playable. The action was way too high and non-adjustable.
The good thing is the body itself is well made, consisting of two maple and three mahogany strips, with a black fingerboard. I've stripped it all down, removed the thin frets and sanded the paint off it, to reveal a very nice striped ebony fingerboard!
I'm hoping to make a playable stick using the classic 10 string tuning. I've ordered jumbo fret wire to start the project. Maybe I should start a project thread? Do you folks think it's worth it that I should start my stick adventure this way?

Last edited by flag400 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello Folks, Another Newbie Here ..
flag400 wrote:
I've been bitten by the Stick bug recently after watching some remarkable videos on YouTube.
Hello to Greg! Just ordered your DVD.

I'm an old guitar/bass player with lots of hands on experience tinkering with luthiery . I acquired a stick like instrument off of E-Bay to begin my journey. The previous owner sold it as a ten string bass, but I found it to be totally un-playable. The action was way too high and non-adjustable.
The good thing is the body itself is well made, consisting of two maple and five mahogany strips, with a black fingerboard. I've stripped it all down, removed the thin frets and sanded the paint off it, to reveal a very nice striped ebony fingerboard!
I'm hoping to make a playable stick using the classic 10 string tuning. I've ordered jumbo fret wire to start the project. Maybe I should start a project thread? Do you folks think it's worth it that I should start my stick adventure this way?

it's possible i guess, but it's not going to be easy and i would pretty confident in saying you will, in all likelihood , not end up with anything nearly as easy to play or sounding as good as a chapman stick.

your best bet would be to go for a used stick if you find a new one to be too rich for your blood. stick.com has very good refurbished ones for sale with some frequency.

(update) at the moment it doesn't look like any used ones are available. it would be worth posting a query to see if anyone is willing to part with one. i suspect there might be people on the board that would be willing to sell one if they are getting a new railboard :)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

8-) I will probably do that at some point . . A new stick is not in the cards right now, plus the fact I'm not even a player yet, but I'm sure in time I will be . . I know this build will never be as nice as the real deal, but hopefully it will be at least playable. . . :?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Flag400,
Congrats on your Stick journey! I'm right behind you! ;-)
Well, now that you've already modified your instrument by removing paint, etc, you might as well continue working on the instrument, see what you can do to make it more playable. As a luthier myself, I think no matter what, you will learn a great deal about stringed instrument design by working on the instrument in your hands. Though it will never be a Stick, this project may perhaps begin your journey towards a real Stick, while also applying and improving your luthiery skills along the way.

Hmmmm....One important question: does your instrument have a truss rod?
And also, what is the scale length? Just curious.

Cool project.

Good luck, and yes, may you could start a "project thread" and other luthiers and experienced Stick players could join in. There are quite a few of talented and experienced luthiers and inventors here that might make suggestions. Good luck and congratulations.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm

:) Thanks Billy for your encouragement!

My stick does not have a truss rod, but it is thick, 1 3/4 inches. It is perfectly straight thankfully. I'm planning on using light gauge strings in classic tuning, which puts the heavy strings in the center of the board, so it shouldn't bow or twist out of shape, (in theory anyway!).

It is 34" scale. When I get a chance I will start a project thread and welcome all the wisdom and suggestions I can get from you nice folks . . :mrgreen:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It looks hopeful but it's gonna hafta be perfectly straight UNDER FULL STRING TENSION so you might want to think about installing a truss rod BEFORE doing the fret job. Take a look at some close-ups of the Stick truss: it is solidly anchored at one end and can pull OR push at the other - VERY important. Good luck it won't be a Stick but it will be FUN. When you start your build thread go to "Teflon" (non-stick, get it?)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
It looks hopeful but it's gonna hafta be perfectly straight UNDER FULL STRING TENSION so you might want to think about installing a truss rod BEFORE doing the fret job. Take a look at some close-ups of the Stick truss: it is solidly anchored at one end and can pull OR push at the other - VERY important. Good luck it won't be a Stick but it will be FUN. When you start your build thread go to "Teflon" (non-stick, get it?)

I always wondered why the heck it was called Teflon... thanks!

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Flag,
Yes I think if you want to make your instrument be as playable as possible, you'll probably want to install a truss rod.

By my reckoning, you could probably remove the fingerboard, cut a channel for a truss rod using a dremel tool (which I've done before, a handy tool to have and not too expensive) or a regular router. And then install a truss rod in the channel, and re-attach the fingerboard. There are lots of instructional videos on how to accomplish this on You Tube, and also on the Steward MacDonald website....great resources for luhiers.

The concern I would have about removing the fingerboard is that you would have to heat it up to remove it, and if the heat is not applied quickly and properly, it might cause the laminated body to become unglued and then de-laminate too

Hmmmmm...so maybe you could simply finish your fret installation, and string the instrument up with really light gauge strings and see how much the neck bows under tension....if the neck is as thick as you say, and is also composed of several laminated pieces, the neck may not bow at all, and you might not need a truss rod afterall!

Hey, Flag, yes, please do start a thread in the "Teflon" section of Stickist, so we can follow your adventures in modifying your new instrument...on the road to Stick acquistion! Good luck!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You can put the truss in the "back-way" like the Stick. It makes for the "both-way" adjustment. Brilliant.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
...it would be worth posting a query to see if anyone is willing to part with one. i suspect there might be people on the board that would be willing to sell one if they are getting a new railboard :)

I put an ad of sorts here a few months ago, looking for a used 10-string with Stickup @ 36" scale. I purchased one (still waiting on SE to finish with fret dressing and repairs). But there are at least two others out there at very fair prices ($2000 or less), each were bamboo.

Put an ad/post requesting instrument sales. Or, contact me via PM and I'll see if I can find the emails of each individual if you're interested...

https://brianbaggett-chapmanstick.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bar info: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 am