It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

I made the leap, in blind faith... 

Post I made the leap, in blind faith...
Hello, everyone-

Just placed my order for a rosewood 10-string Chapman Stick in matched reciprocal tuning with ACTV-2 pickups (also drilled for PASV-4), bronze polypearl dot inlays, dual MIDI, Hipshot black/gold open-gear tuners, med ga strings, hard case, stick stand, lap dawg, training materials... the works.

I am victim of the all-too-familiar story of having heard Tony Levin on Discipline and Three of a Perfect Pair (actually my VERY first experience was an audiotape bootleg of a live concert which included erroneous song names such as Plain Vaseline for Frame by Frame!).

Mainly I am a lifelong pianist, keyboardist, amateur composer and more recently drummer whose interest in the Stick was greatly rekindled by happening upon Greg Howard videos on youtube followed by intense listening to him, Adelson, Bottomley, Jim Meyer, Culbertson, Stick Men, and Crimson again.

It dawned upon me, and Mr. Howard has said it, how similarly it is played to keyboard (in spite of it being taken up by so many bass players and guitarists). For some reason that is when I first thought: what if I tried to learn it? Then I made the leap, in blind faith, without ever having laid a hand on a Stick.

So that's my story. Looking forward to delivery, though I am anticipating up to 9 months for delivery, and looking forward to further reading, learning, and interaction on this forum. Meanwhile I am also binge-watching every Free Hands Friday episode and basically watching all things stick on youtube, reading all things stick on the internet, reading the Emmett biography book, and collecting any and all stick CD's I can locate.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: I made the leap, in blind faith...
Eighth_Lake_Music wrote:
Just placed my order for a rosewood 10-string Chapman Stick in matched reciprocal tuning with ACTV-2 pickups (also drilled for PASV-4), bronze polypearl dot inlays, dual MIDI, Hipshot black/gold open-gear tuners, med ga strings, hard case, stick stand, lap dawg, training materials... the works.
It sound like you've made an excellent start on tricking out your first Stick. A rosewood 10-string was where I started as well.

Now you have the long Stickwait. Feel free to ask questions while you wait. Check out Bob Culbertson as well if you haven't already heard of him. And there's lots of others. Welcome to the forum!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Welcome !

where are you from?

don't think you will reach 9 month wait
now days it is around 4-5 month

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am

paigan0 wrote:
Eighth_Lake_Music wrote:
It sound like you've made an excellent start on tricking out your first Stick. A rosewood 10-string was where I started as well.

Now you have the long Stickwait. Feel free to ask questions while you wait. Check out Bob Culbertson as well if you haven't already heard of him. And there's lots of others. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much and encouraging to know you also started with a rosewood 10-string. I love Culbertson - my favorites that I have heard so far are Hocus Pocus and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am

Boaz wrote:
Welcome !

where are you from?

don't think you will reach 9 month wait
now days it is around 4-5 month

I should have mentioned - I am from upstate New York (Saratoga). I sometimes make my way down to the NYC Metro area and noted that Mr. Adelson is somewhere around there... potential in-person lesson opportunity. (Several folks seem to give lessons by Skype as well.)

You are probably right about the wait time - that is a conservative (pessimistic) estimate by me. I am told rosewood beams are not in hand at the moment. 4-5 months might be what it turns out to be.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome. The Eighth Lake near Inlet, N.Y.?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congrats on your new adventure
I'm always available for inquiries and lessons. Your creative journey is about to take off

Steve A

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome!!!! It’s a great community!!

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Welcome, welcome!

Looking forward to hearing of your stories and discoveries.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, everyone. Amazing to see my favorite stick players commenting in this very thread!

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 am