It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Hello Again? I am back connecting-never stopped playing :) 

Post Hello Again? I am back connecting-never stopped playing :)
it's a long story...
Hello fellow Stick enthusiasts!
I used to belong to Stickwire and have attended 6 or 7 amazing seminars... I have met many
of you through one of the two. Greetings to new members...
The Last I attended was the 2006 Ann Arbor Seminar - then I fell off the map. I was quite ill
for some years from a ruptured appendix. 2006-2010 were very hard. 8 days in the hospital
with my abdomen open to drain the poison.
I was bed ridden a couple months - but TWO amazing things - I could still make some money as I was giving permission from surgeon to play the weddings and other performances I had booked but I could not lift anything. I would get dressed, be driven to the event - sit down and play with a lap bar. Then back home to bed :) I finally had a roadie!

The second was getting a phone call from Yuta and Emmett Chapman to wish me well!!!
That day felt like Christmas and so did the next! A real lift to my spirits and totally unexpected :)
I was happy to be alive but did have complications and side effects from the initial peritonitis
as well as the surgery. Was able to return to almost my normal schedule of things after
months. Mostly because the different (self employed) work I did wasn't hard on my body anyway.
I had a right wrist bone fusion and nerve damage from previous a injury... clumsy and back luck
:)
"Delayed adhesions due to peritonitis" is the term for this condition. Internal scaring is the way I think of it. No problems with digestion but with the muscles and organs around it! I couldn't breath while eating (with a side of crippling pain) so loss of appetite was huge. By 2010 I was 110 pounds and almost felt like giving up. I could barely keep up, so lost touch with many people.
In July 2010 I finally felt I was actually beginning to recover! I will always have adhesions (like my wrist) but WOW what a difference.
If anyone reached out on Facebook or other mediums and got little or no response - it was not personal or intentional - I just couldn't. I did try a few times only to stop trying. It's easier to engaged now and wished for :)

I still have trouble with eating and so on but I am much more active and doing things that are good for me such as music, meditation, playing live meditations! ...
Happy to be reaching out to the larger community again. It's great thing that people share their
Knowledge and passion for this instrument. Tips, tricks and encouragements.

I shared a Youtube link to my other passion (in equipment) - building my pedalboard for my Stick ( NS cello, base...) Just finished it recently. I did the first demo video - working on more.

I will also post info tomorrow in Announcements about a performance I am doing in Bowmanville
Ontario (near Toronto) at an art gallery next Sunday April 8th. One musician joins me for
some songs, we play to projected videos (artistically edited).
I will start searching through back posts to try and catch up on what I missed :)

Jason Brock

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello Again? I am back connecting-never stopped playing
Welcome back!

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome back, Jason! Nice to meet you! I've joined since you left and tried not to raid the frig too much, but any cookies you left were eaten long ago. Can't wait to hear more from you. Saw your pedal board posting and thought it was absolutely awesome (I have questions but I'll ask over there.)

Where do you call home these days, Jason?

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good to hear you're on a better road for your future. Last we met was probably 15-20 years ago?
Keep moving forward with your music and most importantly your health.
Keep in touch

Steve Adelson

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Welcome back!

Thanks! I remember you from the Stickwire years. Great to see some familiar names!

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 am

paigan0 wrote:
Welcome back, Jason! Nice to meet you! I've joined since you left and tried not to raid the frig too much, but any cookies you left were eaten long ago. Can't wait to hear more from you. Saw your pedal board posting and thought it was absolutely awesome (I have questions but I'll ask over there.)

Where do you call home these days, Jason?

Thanks - Nice to meet you too - I am back in North Bay Ontario. About 3.5hours north of Toronto.
I did move out west again to Nelson BC (in the mountains). It was beautiful but choose to
move back to be near family. Really hard being that far away when there was illness in my family.

I was meant to be here at this time...

Thanks for your kind words about the pedalboard video! I want certain tones and effects that
inspire me.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:01 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jason Jason Jason. So nice to hear your voice (so to speak)! I think the last time we saw each other was in Niagara Falls yes? The BassLab Seminar that Greg Holmes put on there?

I watched the pedalboard video the other day and loved the music. As always you've got the gift. I recall during the all day outdoor show in Ann Arbor with all the big names playing that people kept walking up to the merch table and asking where they could find the Jason Brock CD.

So ... glad to have you back. Hopefully we can meet up face to face at some point. It'd be great to catch up.

What are the details on the Bowmanville show? One of our former OHL boys is from there so I might try and send his family over to catch some of it.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Lee Vatip wrote:
Good to hear you're on a better road for your future. Last we met was probably 15-20 years ago?
Keep moving forward with your music and most importantly your health.
Keep in touch

Steve Adelson

Thank You Steve! You are one of those who share - your knowledge, stories and music.
Much appreciated!
I think it was 2001 or 2002 when we met! Doesn't feel that long ago.
I remember specific lessons and tricks from seminars you taught... the" ker-chunk" technique!
Sort of a ghost note- giving a forward motion...
I hope I get the chance to attend another class of yours!
Thanks for your encouragement - again!
Jason

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am

gpoorman wrote:
Jason Jason Jason. So nice to hear your voice (so to speak)! I think the last time we saw each other was in Niagara Falls yes? The BassLab Seminar that Greg Holmes put on there?

I watched the pedalboard video the other day and loved the music. As always you've got the gift. I recall during the all day outdoor show in Ann Arbor with all the big names playing that people kept walking up to the merch table and asking where they could find the Jason Brock CD.

So ... glad to have you back. Hopefully we can meet up face to face at some point. It'd be great to catch up.

What are the details on the Bowmanville show? One of our former OHL boys is from there so I might try and send his family over to catch some of it.

Hi Glenn! Great to hear from you too :) I think the BassLab event was 2004 or 2005? Not sure.
I do know about 3 weeks after the 2006 seminar and outdoor concert is when I got sick. It
had been building up to that. It was gangrenous when they took it out! Crazy.

I had so much fun at that event! You did such a great job of welcoming people to learn!
My family enjoyed them too. Great memories.

I am sad I can't make this years seminar. I am booked to play a very special event here in
North Bay - our Hospice fundraiser. It is a "butterfly release" show at the waterfront. Annual
show I am booked for. Last year was an emotional event ...

I know we'll get the chance again. I'll stay in the loop for next year or another one this year.

I will post in the events area soon about the show - It is at the (VAC) Visual Arts Centre of Clarington
in Bowmanville. Our Duo is called "HYPERBOREAL" April 9th, 2pm.
Here is the blurb :

HYPERBOREAL
We create soundscapes synched to video projections. We invite listeners to come with us as we allow the sounds from our computers and musical instruments to conjure and resonate with images from nature, found footage, and silent film clips. Jason Brock is a professional musician and video artist who plays Chapman Stick and Electric Cello. Dermot Wilson is a performance and video artist who creates spoken word pieces and plays the Yamaha Midi Controller, saxophone and flute. Together we are: Hyperboreal.

Dermot has his paintings there for his exhibition too. Really amazing art that revolves around
circles!
I am guessing it will last about 1.5hrs or so.

Thanks too for your kind words Glenn. I also really enjoy watching and hearing you perform.
Your style of writing and playing inspired me from the very beginning.

Talk more soon

jason

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Welcome back, it's good to hear your health is improving!

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:48 am