It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Hello from a Born Again Stick-er 

Post Hello from a Born Again Stick-er
:roll:
After a mere several years, I have decided to actually play my stick and hopefully learn to play it well. Seriously, I bought this beautiful instrument years ago thinking "how hard can it be?"
So, as frustration and finger cramps entered my life, I began to question the sanity of anyone who would willfully play this thing. I became petulant. With the stick covered in silk and sitting in its “spot”, I resumed my piano playing; an instrument whose pedigree precedes even the TV show "What's My Line?"
I finally got over my tantrums, remembered how much I loved the sound of my Grand Stick, cleaned up the stick and the amp, displayed photos of Greg and Bob for inspiration, and
I am pleased to report that I’ve been practicing, well, tomorrow will be my second day.
As soon as I heard about the Interlochen workshop my vacation plans changed from Maine to Michigan. I'm planning to attend, I look forward to seeing Greg again and meeting more of you folks. At Glenn's suggestion I am reintroducing myself here and will hopefully become more involved in all things stick. You’ll recognize me at the workshop, I'll be the one still trying to get a non-buzzing sound while the rest of you will be having lunch. It's nice to be back in a community of like-minded people, that is, people who don’t think a stick is…a stick :oops: :evil: and assume I either hit a drum or a cymbal or even another stick with it.
My name is Harry; originally from Da Bronx, but emigrated to Queens some years ago.
Cheers!

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello from a Born Again Stick-er
welcome back :D
Heading to Interlochen with those guys should provide a lifetime of inspiration.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Hello from a Born Again Stick-er
There are so many dimensions to the Stick. One of them is that it makes us face our learning!

(Sound of Kung Fu music and Caine sitting motionless on a mountain top)

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Cheers, Harry! Best of luck on your journeys. It's a wonderful road and destination and journey that also has some potholes and detours along the way. And also coming from piano, it took me a bit to let go of my piano and get into Stick. It's HARD at first! (Like any new instrument. With 10 ten strings. And two sets of tunings. And two hands at once playing different things.)

But I'm enjoying the hell out of the Sticks now. And I'll be at Interlochen this year as well, so I'll see you there!

Rock it out, Harry!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scronk wrote:
There are so many dimensions to the Stick. One of them is that it makes us face our learning!

(Sound of Kung Fu music and Caine sitting motionless on a mountain top)

This seems appropriate. I'll just leave this here...

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Welcome back, Bronx Bomber. Mebe we can get some kinda ad-hoc thingy goin' in these parts for Stickists in the tri-state area. I'm in Central Jersey. We're alot closer to each other than out in mid-west or Californy. Invite Steve Adleson to submit his expertise. I'll lure him with the promise of some of the best mexican food he's ever eaten. (I've won awards for my cookin'. Not my playin'.)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Paigano hahahaha i love kung fu
Android. Tri statesman here from apple country down for jamming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:03 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've taken long detours from the Stick since I got my first one in '87. I took time out to study conga, tabla, and piano. And be a husband and father. And cook, housekeeper, pool guy, etc.

Anyway I've been able to take my experiences from other instruments over to the Stick, so no worries there. But ultimately if you want to play the Stick you've got to put some years in, so get a teacher. I figure I could teach someone else in three years what it took me thirty to get under my fingers.

R

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:41 am

Hey, I want to say thank you for the welcome and the warmth

Each of you has given me something useful to think about and in some cases probably act upon.

Interlochen is a lock and I'm locking forward to it!

paigan0, I shared your post with a Kung Fu friend. He found it most amusing and says it hits the nail on the head :-)

Now it's off to work on stretching some fingers. Sure would be great if I could have one more joint added to each finger of my left hand. I would change my internet name to aTLaTL

Hope to see you soon!
Cheers,
h

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stop by and say hi at one of our N.Y. gigs.
Playing near Queens tmw at Inatome restaurant in Valley Stream 7-10

Steve A

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery