It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Stick it to Toronto! 

Post Stick it to Toronto!
Hello everyone,

I am a brand new (as of a week ago) Stick owner in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've been admiring and - to be honest - lusting after a Stick for the past 15 years but never really had the time or opportunity to get one until just recently. I've now received my 10-String Grand (bamboo, ACTV-2), and I'm realizing just how deeply lost I truly am! I'm an amateur drummer who has a few other stringed instruments on which to noodle, but this has TEN STRINGS! Just count 'em! I did. Prior to the laying out of the MasterCard and right after the Stick arrived and I realized I'd purchased a TEN STRINGED INSTRUMENT! But I'm okay...

Here's my Stick Day first experience:

Frightening or not, I'm very excited to be having this experience. I've been trying my best to ask my fingers to move in such a way that allows me to make a sound that doesn't offend anyone - in particular my wife. It's gonna take some time.

Here's my Day Two experience:

Toronto tends to be a bit out of the way for many things, yet I'm hoping there are a few Stick players nearby who get out and show off their Stickness. I've already heard from one, so I know I'm not completely alone in the wilderness.[1]

Coming from the world of percussion, there may be a natural inclination to attack the instrument in a percussive way. It's possible I may be in over my head with this, but that's part of the fun of learning: I will have an experience whether I am ultimately successful or not.

So, good day (eh?) to all, and here's to a great new experience with such a unique and challenging instrument with such a diverse community.

Tim.

[1] For those curious, Toronto is a cosmopolitan city where we have electricity, plumbing, and the occasional grumpy person... but they tend not to stay for too long.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick it to Toronto!
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum.
You're not alone.....we have a few other drummer/ Stickists here on the forum......Luc Bergeron and Konrad Park (stickrad), prolly a few others I dont know about.

Great unboxing video, congratulations on your purchase.

Again, if you ever want to hook up, let me know.....Im an hour away in Brantford. I have 10 days holidays in mid February, I'll pm you with my phone number,,,,,,

cheers,
kevin

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Awesome, man! Looking forward to future vids! Rock on...

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tim, I loved your unboxing video. Excellently done! Very humorous and good production as well. Congrats on #6532!

Like you, I bought my first Stick without ever seeing one! Actually, I ordered my Railboard and couldn't stand to wait 6 months, and got my 10-string rosewood off Ebay from Japan about a week after I put in my Railboard order. So I really bought two Sticks without seeing my first one. :ugeek:

And a couple of months ago, I bought an NS/Stick without ever seeing one in real life. But I've been extremely pleased with my Sticks and I'm sure you will be as well. Congrats and can't wait to hear more!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

kevin-c wrote:
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum.
You're not alone.....we have a few other drummer/ Stickists here on the forum......Luc Bergeron and Konrad Park (stickrad), prolly a few others I dont know about.

Great unboxing video, congratulations on your purchase.

Again, if you ever want to hook up, let me know.....Im an hour away in Brantford. I have 10 days holidays in mid February, I'll pm you with my phone number,,,,,,

cheers,
kevin

That's awesome, Kevin. Thanks for reaching out, both here and via YouTube! I'm currently enjoying a stint of being free from the shackles of the technology industry after 15 years at my previous employer, so I'm taking advantage of the downtime to try new things. Let's see if our free times line up. I'd love to talk Stick.

I got your PM. I'll shoot over a text later on and we can look at coordinating something.

Tim.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:28 pm

paigan0 wrote:
Tim, I loved your unboxing video. Excellently done! Very humorous and good production as well. Congrats on #6532!

Like you, I bought my first Stick without ever seeing one! Actually, I ordered my Railboard and couldn't stand to wait 6 months, and got my 10-string rosewood off Ebay from Japan about a week after I put in my Railboard order. So I really bought two Sticks without seeing my first one. :ugeek:

And a couple of months ago, I bought an NS/Stick without ever seeing one in real life. But I've been extremely pleased with my Sticks and I'm sure you will be as well. Congrats and can't wait to hear more!

Thanks so much, Steve. With so many people telling me how ridiculously excited I seemed regarding my new instrument, I thought I'd capture on video just how annoyingly correct they were. ;)

Three Sticks is definitely bold, good sir. I think I'll start small with just one! I have a bad habit of collecting instruments. There are a few drum kits scattered throughout my condo with only one set up for playing. Even though Sticks are relatively small, I don't think my wife would appreciate yet another habit...

Tim.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Jayesskerr wrote:

You say that now, but just wait... ;)

Tim.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

HI TIM!!! :D

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

harrison wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

You say that now, but just wait... ;)

Tim.

I think your videos are awesome! Y'know, I too ordered a Stick without really having seen one. Kevin Keith's railboard video was what pushed me over the edge... I like your energy, I bet you get really good at this instrument!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mine was also a 'video-inspired' purchase.

Sheesh, it seems like there are more of us here that bought a Stick without ever having picked one up than those who tried one before buying.

:D :D :D

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am