It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Stick it to Toronto! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stick it to Toronto!
Welcome to the stick, and to the forum.....

...and, ummm....

The Leafs suck :P

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Sacrosanct wrote:
Welcome to the stick, and to the forum.....

...and, ummm....

The Leafs suck :P

That's the game with the ice, little black rubber disk thingee, and the non-musical crooked stick, right? :)

I would have taken it more personally had you said, "Toronto FC sucks!", but it's demonstrably true over 10 years.

And... uhhh... thanks! ;)

Tim.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hi Tim. Welcome. Your videos were great. I also was going to just buy a stick without seeing it. I was prepared to do just that but Gene put me on to Kevin and I got to play an actual stick. I visit Toronto from time to time. I live in Guelph so If you ever want to pop over you can contact me. Bring your stick and some headphones. My neighbours in the next house called the bylaw people cause they said all they could hear was bass. It wasnt that loud but I got caught. Damn . At least I hope what I was playing didnt suck. LOL

If we ever get enough stick players around we could host a hockey "stick" night in Canada. eheh

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:16 am

earthgene wrote:
HI TIM!!! :D

HI GENE! :) I've been watching your FHF videos. Great work on those. I hope there's more to come.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Try playing in your basement...

My recording studio is in my basement. I often play at 2am and rock the room so loud that things fall off the shelves. I've asked my neighbor's if they hear me play and they don't know what I'm talking about. So, I used my looper to play some tracks while I went outside at night to listen for noise. The neighbors were right, you can't hear a thing from outside my house.
Jzzb8ovn wrote:
Hi Tim. Bring your stick and some headphones. My neighbours in the next house called the bylaw people cause they said all they could hear was bass. It wasnt that loud but I got caught.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 am

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
Hi Tim. Welcome. Your videos were great. I also was going to just buy a stick without seeing it. I was prepared to do just that but Gene put me on to Kevin and I got to play an actual stick. I visit Toronto from time to time. I live in Guelph so If you ever want to pop over you can contact me. Bring your stick and some headphones. My neighbours in the next house called the bylaw people cause they said all they could hear was bass. It wasnt that loud but I got caught. Damn . At least I hope what I was playing didnt suck. LOL

If we ever get enough stick players around we could host a hockey "stick" night in Canada. eheh

Thanks so much!

I live in a condo, but due to the strategic positioning of my unit, I can make quite a racket. I draw the line at putting normal heads and cymbals on my drum kits, though. I use Remo SilentStroke heads (with normal resonant heads on the bottom) and Zildjian AE cymbals instead, which still gives me the ability to use my acoustic kits. I also pull the plug on loud playing at 22:00.

As the listing of Stick players in the GTA/Southern Ontario grows, I'm wondering if we should arrange something in the Big Bad City at some point. I know there's an event in Vancouver in May, but that's a costly proposition for a casual meetup. Canada's a big place!

Tim.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome Tim! I too am a drummer, been playing for over 50 years now... Gah!!!! That sure as hell makes me old! Anyway, I still play in a band, but I had a burning desire to try a Chapman Stick since I was blown away at a Blue Man Group show some 20 years ago. It only took me 2 decades to take the leap - also I might add, without ever seeing or trying one in person! I purchased a 10 string on EBay, noodled for 3 months without a clue, then took skype lessons for months ( with Steve Adelson) which got me on the right track. My initial fear was that I was too old to take up a new instrument.... One month shy of 65! I figured if I could play one song after 2 years, I'd be thrilled. Well, one year later I have about 20 songs that I can stumble through, and it's getting better all the time. Steve convinced me that 12 strings were better than 10, so I ordered and received a 12 string, and I've not regretted any of this!
Enjoy, don't get too frustrated, and I humble suggest lessons ASAP so you don't fumble with it like I did for 3 months! There are several great teachers on the forum, you will be real pleased no matter who you choose.
Cheers!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 pm

HI,
Is your 10 string still for sale?
Thx

Sun May 27, 2018 5:23 pm