It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

New member from South Australia 

Post New member from South Australia
Greetings all,
Just joined and hope to draw on all your valuable stick knowledge and experience with a view to purchasing my first stick sometime soon. My background is that of a guitarist and percussionist do you can see why I would bore drawn to the stick. Difficult to source here in SA so any ideas welcome. At this stage, looking for a 10 string stick, maybe a railboard? Look forward to chatting with you guys soon.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:18 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: New member from South Australia
Welcome mate. From Canada

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome! If you are in SA, have you seen Andy Salvanos perform around Adelaide? Great guy, I have seen him live at a seminar in Melbourne six years ago. (Note, I'm in the US) Good question about the ten string, I play a Grand 12 and NS at 8. If I were to add a 10, the Railboard is an amazing feat of engineering in my opinion. I've never seen a string instrument with action that low and not buzz. I've tried out several Railboards, really nice, but part of me also likes the feel of a normal Stick. Also, I play guitar&bass as well and the comparison of a Railboard is not the same as comparing an aluminum neck guitar or bass to a wooden counterpart. The Railboard is a radically different design that just happens to be Al. The PASIV pickup is also a bit different than the PASIV on mine. We have a good size Stick community where I live, so I have had the opportunity to see many generations of Sticks, and the Railboard is one of my favorites. My personal opinion would be if you are really into new technology and you want a ten string, go with the Railboard. Or if you need the lowest possible action, then it's a no brainer, there's no other instrument out there with action that low that I know of.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:12 am

MichNS wrote:
Welcome! If you are in SA, have you seen Andy Salvanos perform around Adelaide? Great guy, I have seen him live at a seminar in Melbourne six years ago. (Note, I'm in the US) Good question about the ten string, I play a Grand 12 and NS at 8. If I were to add a 10, the Railboard is an amazing feat of engineering in my opinion. I've never seen a string instrument with action that low and not buzz. I've tried out several Railboards, really nice, but part of me also likes the feel of a normal Stick. Also, I play guitar&bass as well and the comparison of a Railboard is not the same as comparing an aluminum neck guitar or bass to a wooden counterpart. The Railboard is a radically different design that just happens to be Al. The PASIV pickup is also a bit different than the PASIV on mine. We have a good size Stick community where I live, so I have had the opportunity to see many generations of Sticks, and the Railboard is one of my favorites. My personal opinion would be if you are really into new technology and you want a ten string, go with the Railboard. Or if you need the lowest possible action, then it's a no brainer, there's no other instrument out there with action that low that I know of.

Thank you for your thoughts... And yes I have met Andy who was happy to chat and confirm that getting a sick locally was nigh on impossible... Looking at the railboard very keenly now... And yes I'm interested in new tech especially regarding playing... Appreciate the advice

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:13 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Welcome!

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Rotur.

Welcome Welcome!

Well at least you've got a stick buddy close by in Andy Salvanos. That's something that not everyone in au can say.

Looking forward to your sounds!

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yep, Hi from Sunny ( Joke ) Melbourne, good to see your power is on again in Adelaide.
This forum is great , so enjoy.
Hard to find one locally as you know, though it has happened, best to order from Emmett and set a timer on your phone for the big day. I see you have caught up with Andy.
Cheers
B :D

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The original people of the island-continent must have been excellent Frisbee players because of what evolved. You have a shot at your target ("boom"), then your weapon comes back to you ("erang" as in "comes around" from the original language).

Now we have the Railboard, hopefully soon to take that land by storm. We export it to you. The music comes back to us. It's all promotional.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:23 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I love Andys music. Kev-C put me on to him.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Many thanks for the warm welcome folks...nice to feel included. Looks like my first stick will be a Railboard and it will be some time before anyone hears it as I'm coming from day care on this one despite musical chops in other areas...looking forward to my new venture with great anticipation and excitement

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:45 am