It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Insults from smug stickists 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Insults from smug stickists
Whups... this is a serious thread.

ummm... Back to practice, sorry.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't know what this is all about but, I disagree.

For 20 years, I've found stick players to be the most supportive group of people, to each other AND musicians of all...even other tap/touch guitars.

And the expense thing...I've never made tons of money, having worked in the non-prof humanitarian sector, and later carpentry/remodeling. As much as I'd LOVE to have a new Stick (36" scale, different pickup, railboard, etc...) I've had only one this whole time. It has served me well and still does...1996 made laminated maple w/ Stickup.

Older used ones come up all the time in very affordable price ranges. And they work well.

Don't let new prices and/or message board comments deter you.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:07 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with Brian. The stick community is, by and large, one of the most supportive musical groups I have ever been a part of.

However, there is a bit of jazz/fusion/prog bias here that some might find off-putting if you are an extra sensitive person or just come in with a chip on your shoulder. Also, there are a number of hardcore gearheads that may sound a bit snobby in their passion for high end gear.

The fact of the matter is that sometimes it can be intimidating to come to a place where people already have close relationships, even online. There have been plenty of times that I've read things here that have made me shake my head, but I just avoid those discussions. I haven't ever felt the need to call anyone out over it. It's a shame the the author of this thread felt the need to do so, but I don't think the mods need to strike it from the record. The opinion is still valid in my mind.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Last edited by Sacrosanct on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sacrosanct wrote:
The stick community is, by and large, one of the supportive musical groups I have ever been a part of.

However, there is a bit of jazz/fusion/prog bias here that some might find off-putting if you are an extra sensitive person or just come in with a chip on your shoulder. Also, there are a number of hardcore gearheads that may sound a bit snobby in their passion for high end gear.
I'd second both of those assertions: the Stick community is great, and statistically very supportive, but people can also be as intimidating as hell, especially if you wander into one of their pet peeves or pet issues or pet obsessions--myself included!

I always felt like a 2nd-class musician around other musicians being self-taught, and then went to music school, and now I'm the one that can sound elitist, because I learned some words for stuff other people know by ear. I feed the children as a technical writer (well, supervisor of tech writers, now), so I can string together a sentence, and know a big word or two, so that can seem intimidating as well to people who may only see one post or two by me (each one 8-12 paragraphs! Hah!).

And while I'm sharing about how you people suck, which I just decided this thread should be, for the record, "Paigan Productions" and "paigan0" are named after a fiancée who died in a car accident (the name's not uncommon in Australia/NZ--I've known two "Pagans" and now one "Paigan"): please don't take my user name as an "attack" on whatever your religion is. Yes, that happened. AWKWARD! :oops:

Edits to add before anyone else replies: And what's up with the Sausage Fest around here? Doesn't anyone without a Y-chromosome ever post about Sticky Stuff? (I know that the females play just as awesomely!)

But I love the heck out of this forum, for all of our mutual warts and faults and alien abduction interests--I counter with the fractal videos, so we're all good! :) Please accept my apologies in advance when I offend (but you still suck! :lol: )

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

wut

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

So i could afford to fly to Spain and meet 40 stickists ranging the those who have made it their whole life to those who had just learnt to hold one, a diverse and wonderfully supportive collection of humans from across the planet, all with their own stories and lives, but with a common thread. Just like this forum ( mostly )
Back to practice. Moving on.
:ugeek: :D

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I'm quite happy with this forum.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 am

Stickhead wrote:
I'm quite happy with this forum.

I've been lurking around since August of this year and haven't ever encountered any insults in the main forums, nothing but stickists helping stickists and the occasional attempts at humor and ribbing between friends. I've ventured into the Lounge a couple of times and that's a different story...things can get a little heated there.

I really like the zero calorie sparkling water drink "ICE", manufactured in WA State. Like is says on the side of the bottle...

"As in life, chill for best results"

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

chainhomelow wrote:
what i think we have here are a bunch of priveleged dickheads who have the means to afford such instruments, but are not worthy > listening to their stuff is pure horror.

Hey Andy.
Can you explain why you feel this way? We're all kind of in the dark here as to the meaning of your post. Did someone here on the forum disrespect you in some way?

cheers,
kev

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You reap what you sow. Give love and you will receive love back. I send you love now and hope that you find it wherever you decide to go.

Editing to add for paigan0... I am a proud owner of a Y-chromosome!!! :lol:

9/5/11... proud owner of Stick #6085, a "Classy" Wenge 10 with Stickup and glow linears!!

=/=====>

So Cal. Stick Seminar 2012 @ Mira Costa
FHA 2013 - Bel-Air (1 day)
FHA 2014 - Bel-Air

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next