It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Photo collages of Don's and Pat's stick 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Photo collages of Don's and Pat's stick
It’s a bit daunting when you’re not used to it, but you’ll get the hang of it. The tricky part is figuring out how to sight it properly - it’s explained in the video but takes some getting used to.

If everything is back to what Emmett setup, it’s very likely that adjusting the truss will fix any buzzing. Start with short and quick movements with the truss wrench, don’t make huge changes until you figure out how it’s affecting things. It’s fairly easy to see the changes to the fretboard once you get used to it. And you’ll definitely notice it when playing once you’ve had more time with the instrument.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:06 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Regarding the serial number, you're right, it'sa '90s Stick.
The '70s would have had a serial painted in gold, and there would be several other identifying traits (trapezoid logo, guitar frets, likely a wooden pickup and belt hook among other things)
Your Stick is made sometime between my bubinga #020 (1989) and shedua #511 (1991).
Also the truss rod is not retrofitted, it's introduction was the reason Emmett started over at #001, so tour stick is born with it.
Are you shure about the wood? It looks a bit brownish for padauk, but it might be the photos. From that era it could easily be bubinga or shedua as well.
Only way to know for sure, including the day it was completed is to ask SE, they have very thorough records.

EDIT in an attemp to make this post slightly less nerdish, I'll second what the other said about the truss. On my main stick, shedua #511, I use it at least once a week: I set the action to optimal and then tune it up ;)

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shedua511 wrote:
Are you shure about the wood? It looks a bit brownish for padauk, but it might be the photos.

Ok, it's a 90s stick - guess he made some with a flat top head. Cambria's purchase description said padauk. I did enhance the photo color a bit, so maybe it's that.

AND...all of you urging me to adjust the truss - I did it. I loosened it in small increments until the bass string stopped buzzing. Maybe about 3/4 turn in all. The bass string is great now! I didn't actually sight the neck yet, but I will - I know how to do that from guitar. I also have to verify intonation across the fret board. But now Pat is playing, and she won't give it back ;)

Thanks again you all. What a great group this is.
Don

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:47 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

DonAndPat wrote:
Actually, I have always been afraid to mess with the trusses on my good guitars ...

Accurate Stick setup is so important that I consider truss rod adjustments as important and as necessary as tuning your instrument (although the truss obviously isn't adjusted as often as you tune.)

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:14 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

rwkeating wrote:
DonAndPat wrote:
Actually, I have always been afraid to mess with the trusses on my good guitars ...

Accurate Stick setup is so important that I consider truss rod adjustments as important and as necessary as tuning your instrument (although the truss obviously isn't adjusted as often as you tune.)

Completely agree here!

I understand your trepidation. I remember buying my very first acoustic guitar when I was very young and asking the guy in the store what the allen wrench was for. He answered "Throw that in the trash and if your neck ever needs adjustment, bring it to me." A common theme among guitar techs and certainly the results can be catastrophic on a guitar when you don't know what you're doing and start torquing the truss.

The Stick isn't a guitar though. Furthermore, with the length of that neck it's not a matter of if you'll need to make adjustments but when. Changes of season, changes in humidity, changes in temperature. All these things play a part in sending things off.

You simply have to learn how do this and get comfortable with it. It's really easy and will leave you playing a well adjusted beauty of an instrument 100% of the time.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

DonAndPat wrote:
Shedua511 wrote:
Are you shure about the wood? It looks a bit brownish for padauk, but it might be the photos.

Ok, it's a 90s stick - guess he made some with a flat top head. Cambria's purchase description said padauk. I did enhance the photo color a bit, so maybe it's that.
Don

I can't help myself, more neediness coming... The rounded headstock was introduced in 1992 :)
If Cambria said padauk, you can rest assured that it is correct.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

gpoorman wrote:
rwkeating wrote:
DonAndPat wrote:

Completely agree here!

I understand your trepidation.
You simply have to learn how do this and get comfortable with it.

Thanks Russell and Glenn. (big fans of you both, BTW) I was bringing the guitar mentality to the stick. Adjusting my truss was very easy and fruitful.

Don

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Congratulations, Don and Pat! Got mine today!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

paigan0 wrote:
Congratulations, Don and Pat! Got mine today!

Yay, now you have to post pics. I will be interested in hearing about your first experiences with it.

Don

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DonAndPat wrote:
gpoorman wrote:
rwkeating wrote:
DonAndPat wrote:

Completely agree here!

I understand your trepidation.
You simply have to learn how do this and get comfortable with it.

Thanks Russell and Glenn. (big fans of you both, BTW) I was bringing the guitar mentality to the stick. Adjusting my truss was very easy and fruitful.

Don
sniff, I'm so proud of you guys!!

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next