It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

Paigan Productions, or Stephen Sink, introduction 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Paigan Productions, or Stephen Sink, introduction
Hi, Stick community, my username is paigan0, named for my production company, Paigan Productions. My real name is Stephen Sink (call me Steve). My apologies for the length of this intro.

I am a self-taught multi-instrumentalist. My real father is a classical pianist in Hollywood but my parents were divorced when I was 3 (messy divorce) and Mom never wanted any of her 6 kids to be like Dad, so music was actually discouraged in our house, even though Mom played accordion every Sunday at church. I started playing piano when I was 14 and I used to break into churches at night to play their pianos that sit there all week long lonely and unappreciated until being used for 30 minutes Sunday morning by blue-haired little old ladies (hi, Mom!). I figured out chords and scales and somewhat mastered two-hand independence.

Then later, I went to Kansas State and studied music composition, and Digital Sound Synthesis, and studio recording. I learned to read music and learned names for the chords I’d figured out and learned some things I probably never would have figured out on my own (like the circle of fifths and whatever a German sixth is), or how to write for instruments that I can’t play, like flute and viola, then learned to play several random instruments, like viola, flute and recorder (I was in a live Renaissance Ensemble that played period instruments such as recorders and flugal horns). I learned a lot about studio recording.

I was in several rock bands as the lonely keyboardist, and was kicked out of a metal band because they wanted to play more guitar-oriented songs. I love guitar and guitar music but couldn’t play anything but keyboard and random classical instruments such as viola at the time. Oh sure, I could run my Fender Rhodes ’76 electric piano through a guitar amp and jam out some awesome power chords, but there was just no way I was going to do heavy metal covers playing keyboard. But I wanted to rock out and be cool, like the guitar players.

Later I discovered New Age Progressive music, such as George Winston, and Fresh Aire, and the like, and finally got a name for this style of music I’d already been doing for several years. I just called it and continue to call it “Stevemusic.”

I’ve always had a problem with pitch control, but I have a nice deep baritone radio voice that many have told me is a “classic sexy radio voice,” and I been looking for years for some awesome vocalist to pair with and make sweet, sweet music. Finally, I started using my own voice as spoken samples in songs, and then discovered Autotune. Now my pitch problems are over and I can just sing and not wince when I play it back (after extensive studio cleanup).

Here’s an example of my recent studio work and of my singing. https://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1/s ... you-and-me I’m playing all instruments and that’s me singing as well. I rock a mean drum machine and Native Instruments Maschine (and Pro Tools, and samples, and anything and everything I can get my hands on to make music with). That and more at: https://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1/

So, I’m primarily a rock composer, mainly rock instrumentals that should probably be songs, and a New Age Progressive instrumental composer. Two very different styles of music.

I’ve got an album of piano-only music called “Paigan Productions Presents Piano Pieces,” or PPPPP, which you can find at all your major e-stores. I’ve got 3 or 4 rock singles that I’ve put out, playing all the instruments and singing, and they are really popular in Eastern Europe, according to iTunes sales (I have no idea why). My “catalog,” or at least what I’ve released so far: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/step ... d719263449

I’ve created thousands of pieces over the years, all original work. I do no covers, and can barely play anyone else’s songs at all anymore, even though I’ve learned and played hundreds that I’ve now forgotten.

I self-taught myself to play bass and then acoustic and electric guitars, but hate to pick, and always complain that I’ve got to use my right dominant hand to do nothing more than pluck the stupid strings. I usually use my fingers or hand to strum, rather than using a pick. I hate using a pick. I like to tap ala Eddie Van Halen just because I can and it’s a quick way to play something close on the guitar that I can do on the piano.

So I play guitar chords and record them, and sample them, and cut and paste them all about my composition, while never actually sitting down and playing a complete song or piece on the guitar. I prefer to solo on the keyboard, but have no problem laying down guitar or bass rhythm tracks.

Okay, that’s a long-ass background, sorry.

Flash to last week:
I’m a huge technology buff. I was reading reddit.com last week, when a video hit the front page of Vincent “Stickman” Warren playing and demonstrating a Stick for an indy.com contest. I was absolutely blown away. Here was someone playing both bass and melody at the same time on a guitar, but with the range of a keyboard, and by tapping, rather than picking or plucking.

Then I saw the incomparable Bob Culbertson playing Clapman’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” and said, “O.M. F’ing G, that is the instrument I’ve been looking to play all my life!”

Greg Howard, Kevin Keith, Bob Culbertson, Rob Martino, Glenn Poorman, Tony Levin, Free Hands Friday episodes, State of the Sticks videos, every video at Stick.com, anything and everything Stick related (and there’s really not very much out there, unless y’all know of some videos I haven’t found yet.) I've binged on everything Stick related I could find.

As soon as I saw Emmett Chapman demonstrating the Chapman Stick, and how one made a tone by just tapping the strings, I knew that this was going to be my next instrument and that I was going to master the heck out of it (positive attitude!)

So I put in an order for a new blue Railboard with the MIDI melody pickups. I hadn’t yet gotten an estimate from Cambria, but I’d heard it could take as long as 7-10 months to get one. I was not going to be able to wait that long.

Free Hand Friday #42 or 44 (How to buy a Chapman Stick) told me that you could find them on Ebay, although they are usually expensive, broken, or snatched up in minutes. Checking several times after I put in my Railboard order, I saw just that: too expensive, too broken, or already long gone.

Finally, Saturday morning I saw a 2010 10-string Chapman Stick on Ebay from an American jazz guitar player living in Japan. I actually recognized that it was Japan just from the picture of the doorway behind the Chapman Stick. I lived and worked in Japan for 3 years teaching English (I also have a Master’s in English Composition and Literature, which was more marketable than getting a Master’s in Music). He had played the Stick maybe a dozen times, had actually taken some lessons from Greg Howard back in Virginia, but since he was now in Japan teaching jazz guitar, he didn’t have the time or ability to devote to the Stick. It sat in its case for five years. I got the Stick, a case, a stand, 3 or 4 books, and some videos, and a stereo cord for around $1800. The listing was up for 13 minutes before I closed it out by buying the Stick.

The Stick is on its way now to me and will be here Saturday. So, as someone who has never touched a Chapman Stick, and never actually seen one live in the flesh, or the wood, or whatever, I have one coming Saturday. Oh, and then Monday, Cambria emailed to let me know about my blue Railboard order, which I still want (even though I already bought a wooden one and I’ve never touched or played one), would take about 3-6 months. I’d probably need most of that to pay for the Railboard after buying the EBay stick, but I’d take it tomorrow if it was ready!

This will mark the 5th or 6th new instrument for me, depending on how you count, over thirty years or so (I’m 45!). I plan to throw myself into learning the Stick and my goal is to be able to play at least one of my own piano compositions on the Stick within 6 months (hopefully before the Railboard arrives). Honestly, I’d be surprised if it took a week, but let me not talk smack before I’ve even seen a Stick.

So, that’s my very long story. This is my new obsession and I will be throwing my full intellectual and physical abilities into mastering this darn thing. I’ll be probably bugging people on the boards, and as soon as I get to a point where I feel lessons would be most productive, I plan on taking lessons. I’ve self-taught myself enough to know that even on days where I think I’m a musical genius, I could always benefit from lessons. Then I watch jazz players and think I suck, or watch Bob C. play his board and instead of being intimidated, I’m encouraged at the sonic possibilities.

I’m by nature a very supportive and non-competitive musician. As they say in Japan, yoroshiku onegai shimasu, or “Please take care of me. Help me to help you!”

I appreciate in advance your help and support.

Oh, and this should go under new gear but: I don’t even own an amp anymore, as I plug right into the board and use NI Guitar Rig and other digital solutions. I’ll be bugging people about amps, but that’ll be down the line a bit.

Cheers!

Stephen (Steve) Sink
Paigan Productions
Detroit, Michigan

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Paigan Productions, or Stephen Sink, introduction
Welcome! Detroit? Wow, you are right in the middle of the biggest concentrations of Stick players outside of LA. There are a bunch of guys here on this forum from there. They should be chiming in very soon. Your experience resonates with that of a lot of us. Starting with your music background is wonderful and you will make rapid progress.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Oh, one little fun point.

paigan0 wrote:
So, that’s my very long story. This is my new obsession and I will be throwing my full intellectual and physical abilities into mastering this darn thing.

You'll be the first, then. :D

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"Mastering" is an ongoing condition, and a destination along a journey that one always moves closer to but never reaches. Unless you're Bob Culbertson (I'm sure he gets better every day, if that's possible).

I had no idea that Michigan had a Stick community. Why in the heck have I never heard of it, then? Not the community--the instrument. I did see that there was a big meeting in Interlochen last July. Would have been nice to go.

That's very exciting, that's there's other Stickists in Michigan. Thanks so much!

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Steve,

I split my time (well ... more like 70/30) between Novi and the Traverse City area. Was gigging pretty solidly both solo and with a band playing Stick from 2000 until around 2010 when the band stopped. I've done solo gigs in the area since then but not very many.

Gary Jibilian was still a Detroiter when he started playing the NS/Stick. He played bass with Thornetta Davis and played NS/Stick in a duo with Detroit drummer Todd Glass. Gary has, of course, since relocated to LA and works for Stick Enterprises.

Steve "Oz" Osburn owns Oz's Music on Packard in Ann Arbor. Oz has played since the late 70s and has been kind of the center of all things Stick in Michigan. Currently there is an informal get together that happens the 3rd Thursday of every month. It is frequently moved or cancelled though so best thing is to get an email address to somebody who can let you know when these things are happening (preferably Oz or Steve Balogh [MichNS]).

The Interlochen gathering happens every other year so you just missed it. We used to do a yearly gathering in Ann Arbor though and are talking about starting those up again on a small scale during the "in between" years (so in other words, next year maybe).

We should talk once your instrument comes and you have some time with it.

Oh ... Bob Culbertson plays the Ann Arbor Art Fair every summer. You just missed him this year but he'll be back.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nice to meet you, Glenn. I actually saw that Oz's Music carried Chapman Sticks on their website and emailed Oz about getting a Railboard before I ordered direct from SE. He mentioned he was also waiting on an order from them.

If we're actually holding out our hands like snowmitts and pointing out state locations (Michigan!), I actually live near Warren and work out of Troy, but "Detroit" means more to people.

Question: I'm going to need a new set of strings when my Ebay 2010 # 5968 arrives this Saturday from Japan. I've obviously never re-strung a Chapman (since I've still not seen one). Should I take it to Oz's, or can my local music shop hang with this?

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You said the instrument is coming this weekend? Have you already ordered a set of strings for it? We can get together here in Novi and look over the general condition and setup of the instrument as well as changing the strings.

Ironically enough though, I got a text from Oz right after I hit "Post" on that last message that the monthly get together (which I hate to admit I generally miss) was pushed to next Thursday. This probably works for me too so if you're up for a drive to Ann Arbor next Thursday around 8:00pm(ish), you could probably meet at least a couple of other players as well.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
You said the instrument is coming this weekend? Have you already ordered a set of strings for it? We can get together here in Novi and look over the general condition and setup of the instrument as well as changing the strings.

Glenn, thanks for the offer but this is a crazy weekend and week for me. My family's been out of the country visiting inlaws in Japan (long story) and come back Tuesday. Finding a Chapman Stick on EBay from Tokyo while my family was visiting Japan is the world's greatest coincidence, or at least mine. Family doesn't even know about it yet.

I haven't even ordered strings yet. It's set up with the original 5-year old medium gauge strings in Matched Reciprocal, which I'll probably keep in that tuning.

Is SE the best or only place to get the right strings?

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
Is SE the best or only place to get the right strings?
YES! Emmett went thru many trials and tribulations to get the right strings (they're made by D'Addario, exclusively and to Emmetts specifications)

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ah, http://stick-enterprises-store.myshopif ... tring-sets. Thanks!

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery