It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:55 pm

Hello! Stick as an upgrade to jazz harp - weird, huh? 

Post Hello! Stick as an upgrade to jazz harp - weird, huh?
Hello!

And so another new Stick artist is born!

It's strange, but it's like I've searching for this instrument all my life. As an Alto I've been carrying the melody and harmony around in head simultaneously, and have been looking for a way to sing both at the same time. So I dabbled ardently for years on piano and on acoustic and bass guitar. They eventually lead me to take up the jazz harp. That instrument's in-built limitations taught me harmonics and key progressions, but I wasn't entirely happy with it.

So I took the plunge and bought a classic Chapman Stick! I'm just now learning chords and where the notes are, but I have a feeling that this is an exciting new page in my affair with music. I'm blown away by how intuitive and logical the Stick is, and by how portable and versatile too! I'm stuck! :mrgreen:

For those interested, my musical tastes are eclectic: with threads of folk, ancient, world and goth/dream-pop music woven together, with preferences for strong melody in verse, but using unusual and historic musical forms. I think the stick will lend itself brilliantly to all this weirdness I love.

So hello! There's an introduction from another new one!

Bea

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Hello! Stick as an upgrade to jazz harp - weird, huh?
Yeah, guess it's a little more portable than the harp. i have two, and i refer to the DBR as a bass harp occasionaly. so get yer freak on, yer in for the ride of your life. i find the more i put in, the more i get back. happy tappin.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Bea, thanks for posting. I met a fantastic harpist up in the Fresno area, she was playing at a friend's wedding and she was amazing! I was very inspired by her selection of songs - I have since added Clocks and What a wonderful world to my repertoire since seeing her play.

I think that you are right, the instruments cross over nicely. Be sure to post some pics of your new rig and videos when you can!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Edmar Castaneda is a friend of mine. He's a fantastic jazz harp player. Check him out.
Steve A

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery