It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:43 am

stePH introduces himself 

Post stePH introduces himself
Hello, my name is Stephen (not pronounced "Steven"). I own a Stick that I bought in 2000 ... #1154, teak with paua inlays, standard 10-string tuning, and the GK-2A MIDI pickup. I call her "ki-KI", short for kirei na SUTEKKI ("Lovely Stick"). Here she is the night I picked her up at my mom's house where I had her delivered ...

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't just run a cable from the MIDI pickup to my Yamaha keyboard, instead having to spend another six hundred fish on a Roland unit ... but whatever. Anyway, things run away with themselves and I ended up doing little more than dabbling with the instrument for a while, and I hadn't touched it all for the past five years until last Sunday (though it's been on my mind for a few weeks now).

So I'm working out of Greg Howard's The Stick Book (which I got along with Free Hands when I bought my Stick), having to transpose the melody excercises since they're written for baritone melody. But since I'm due for some new strings now (it's been almost nine years) I figure I'll go with that tuning when I restring. As my first instrument is bass (had my Carvin 5-string since 1992) I think I'd make more use of one lower string than the top string currently on ki-KI.

It just kind of sucks that I'm still a beginner after almost nine years ... but whose fault is that? :? Looking forward to sticking with it this time ... hence, joining this little community here.

Last edited by stePH on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: stePH introduces himself
Welcome to the forum, Stephen. And welcome back to the Stick! :D

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks! I actually came around to the Stick in an indirect way. I'd been aware of it since seeing an ad for it in Keyboard magazine back in 1984 or so (you know, quarter-page with Tony Levin saying "The Stick is the wave of the future") but didn't give it any thought until much later, after discovering Dream Theater in 2000. It was while attempting to learn the bass part to "Scarred" (my favorite DT song) that I realized John Myung was tapping and holding two upper strings with his right hand while playing a bass part with his left hand. I dug out the old "CHOPS!" issue of Bass Player from around 1992 or 1993 and re-read the article on two-handed tapping, began working on the exercises therein, and got to thinking about the Stick (I was already listening to Liquid Tension Experiment by then) ... it wasn't long before I'd taken the plunge and ordered the instrument I would christen Kirei na SUTEKKI. My only regret is that I didn't spring for a 12-string "Grand" when I had the bread.

(Incidentally, John Myung is also a Stick player ... but while he's an absolute monster on bass guitar, his Sticking is strictly amateur from all I've seen and heard.)

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Welcome!

Another big DT and LTE fan right here. I've seen some footage of John playing the Stick, but nothing ever really substantial. I think it would be great if DT played Acid Rain one night and John pull out a Stick.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stePH wrote:
So I'm working out of Greg Howard's The Stick Book (which I got along with Free Hands when I bought my Stick), having to transpose the melody excercises since they're written for baritone melody. But since I'm due for some new strings now (it's been almost nine years) I figure I'll go with that tuning when I restring. As my first instrument is bass (had my Carvin 5-string since 1992) I think I'd make more use of one lower string than the top string currently on Ki-KI.

It just kind of sucks that I'm still a beginner after almost nine years ... but whose fault is that? :? Looking forward to sticking with it this time ... hence, joining this little community here.

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the forum.

If you need any help when you make the switch over to Baritone Melody, please feel free to ask.

Also, I teach lessons via skype if you're interested. Sometimes a lesson to get going can make a big difference.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Stephen - Another welcome back. Whenever you get near Seattle hit me with a note. I have a Rosewood Grand and a neat little studio in a forest just north of town. There's a couple of videos on my site and on Facebook you might enjoy.
Sean Rhys Stirling

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

BTW is there no thread for introductions/delurks? Or is this it? Other boards I frequent have dedicated "member bio" threads where the n00bs can introduce themselves, and it's a great resource for getting to know the folks on the board quickly.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 am
Site Admin

Welcome aboard to our community stePH!

You made a great point about having an Introductions subforum...so one is now created and your post is now the first :D

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks, Manny!

Let's update that 9-year-old picture above ... I just took this about an hour ago.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:39 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Stephen! Welcome to the best and supportive music community in the universe! You will always find welcome ears and eyes to help support you in your journey.

Don't worry about "not picking up the Stick" for awhile. It's like riding a bike without a seat, you never forget! :D I originally got my White Polycarb in 1989, formed a group around it, and then got led "astray" producing CD's for other artists, getting major airplay, and went back to guitar for the whole "unplugged 90's" thing. Then came the "errant" e-mail from Glenn Poorman, whom I am eternally grateful and honored to call friend, to come to Ann Arbor for a Stick Seminar in 2000. Bob Culbertson, Jim Lampi, Greg Howard and Jim Reilly put me on the right course to seeing all that this wonderful instrument of Emmett's can do.
I couldn't be happier either in my playing, performing or my camaraderie that Manny's incredible forum provides. Finally, you'll love Baritone Melody for its deep sexy soulfulness. ( I play Bari Melody and for solo and chords it is the way to go)

You have found your friends and your home. Welcome!
Dave Brosky - Pittsburgh,PA

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery