It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Insurance for Stolen Instruments 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Insurance for Stolen Instruments
"Accidentally left my Chapman Stick in my car. When I came back, the window was smashed. Looked inside and there were two Sticks there!" Steve Adelson, p. 53 Stickology, Mel Bey

This is the heartbreaking part of this wonderful forum, and thankfully we don't see too many entries here.

Being a studio partner at Discmakers, they send me articles and feeds which are helpful.
Here is a FAQ on instrument insurance. and Yes, I have my Sticks insured through my homeowners policy.

http://blog.discmakers.com/2014/05/music-instrument-insurance-questions-answered-in-english/?utm_campaign=EA1422&utm_source=DMAudio&utm_medium=Email

hope it helps,
Dave Brosky

Wed May 28, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Insurance for Stolen Instruments
Dave, be sure your Sticks actually are insured.
In the UK Musical instruments are most definitively excluded from home contents policies.
I have a separate policy to cover my instruments amd Amps.
Home contents policies tend to be ok with things the average person keeps at home (Computers/bikes/jewellery etc) but instruments seem to be considered as professional equipment.
A few of my friends think they are covered under home contents policies, but have never really asked the correct questions to the insurance company. I did- and was specifically told that my instruments weren't covered.
Getting back to Steve A's joke, I'm also covered for leaving instruments in cars!! As well as world wide travel, and they are currently paying out on a string bass that got damaged.
I don't want to worry anyone but it might be worth checking.

All the best from the uk!

Steve

Red Grand Railboard 7164 "Iron Man" June 21 2018

Thu May 29, 2014 1:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Having been through my share of fires and thefts, I have done some time in the insurance claims realm. While I was playing "professionally", it was presumed that a separate policy was necessary for instruments, amplifiers and musical accessories.

A good read Drbo, thanks for posting.

Thu May 29, 2014 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I had a secondary policy through a specialty underwriter which was coordinated with my renter's insurance. I plan to get that going again at some point so that my future Stick will be covered.

Fri May 30, 2014 9:28 pm