It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

Railboard® R-Block™ operators manual 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Railboard® R-Block™ operators manual
Werkspace, THAT is the funniest thing I've read since......forever!

Thx for the great cheer, and the ohm enlightenment....!
Dang!

cheers,
kev

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hahaha almost sounds like dr dirty john valby

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Resistance is futile

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Let the electrons flow

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good job Greg for making this available. Will this manual also work for the soon to be released 12-string Railboard? (hint, hint BSharp)

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sorry for restarting an old post, but for sake of completeness and continuity I figured it was better to post it here instead of starting a new thread.

I have a question regarding the volume controls on stereo/mono mode and the way the switch works.

STEREO MODE
In stereo mode each pickup is controlled independently. Turn each side’s volume pot clockwise to increase the volume. Turning the volume knob all the way counterclockwise mutes the pickup’s output completely.

This is crystal clear, as it is the way my stick works. However, the following is understood, but I still have some questions:

MONO MODE
In mono mode the controls of the R-Block are interactive. The volume controls become “pan” controls, routing the mixed mono signal of both pickups to either one of the two outputs or both, depending on how the volume controls are set. A trimpot between the bass pickup’s midrange frequency and volume controls can be used to balance the volume of the bass pickup relative to the melody pickup. There are three basic “pan” configurations for the mono mode:
1. Both volume controls at maximum: each pickup is assigned to both outputs.
2. Melody volume at maximum and bass volume at minimum: both pickups are asigned to the melody output.
3. Bass volume at maximum and melody volume at minimum: both pickups are assigned to the bass output.

Here the melody/bass knobs become left/right volume know, while being both pickups at full output the entire time. Thus, not allowing to regulate the volume independently. The only way would be to use a trimpot to set a relative volume among bass and melody. Correct?

Does anybody know how the switch is wired? For the aforementioned to happen both signals need to be shorted at some point in the signal chain. I've been going over different options and came up with the following.

1. Shorting after the volume pots. This would send the exact same signal to left and right and won't allow the "pan" or "balance" to be adjusted. However, one can still regulate the volume of each pickup fairly independently.

2. Shorting before the volume pots. This would allow different signals to be sent to left and right and thus "balance" the stereo sound. but at the cost of not having a fast way of regulating the volume of each pickup.

I understand that option 2 if how it is done in the R-block and option 1 is what I'm getting by partially inserting a mono jack on the stereo output of my stick and what I'll get after making a TRS to TS cable.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:54 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Villex is at work on a modified R-Block circuit that should make mono panning more straightforward across the stereo spectrum without a volume drop when both bass and melody volume controls are full on. It's not an issue when just one side is on, which is what most would expect anyway from a mono mode.

Best choice at present is to send the combined mono signal through either the bass or melody side - an advantage over most stereo/mono systems. It's all passive (unless phantom power is admitted) and it's a challenge to create all the balances needed for uniform panning in a passive circuit. Still, my long time Villex friend William Khanagov always takes on such challenges and makes them into his ethic - passive "magnetic circuitry" with unusual capabilities in volume boosting and frequency focus.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

will the Railboard ever have 4 pickups like the pasv4?

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:29 am
Contributor
Contributor

Ahhhh! I see!... I just tried for the first time, using a mono guitar cable from the railboard to a bass amp.... couldn't get the bass and melody side balanced... The bass side was much lower in lever than the melody regardless of where the controls were set. Now I realize I need to use a stereo cable with just one side plugged into the amp for mono. 8-)

BSharp wrote:
Villex is at work on a modified R-Block circuit that should make mono panning more straightforward across the stereo spectrum without a volume drop when both bass and melody volume controls are full on. It's not an issue when just one side is on, which is what most would expect anyway from a mono mode.

Best choice at present is to send the combined mono signal through either the bass or melody side - an advantage over most stereo/mono systems. It's all passive (unless phantom power is admitted) and it's a challenge to create all the balances needed for uniform panning in a passive circuit. Still, my long time Villex friend William Khanagov always takes on such challenges and makes them into his ethic - passive "magnetic circuitry" with unusual capabilities in volume boosting and frequency focus.

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am