It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Railboard® R-Block™ operators manual 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Railboard® R-Block™ operators manual
Robstafarian wrote:
greg wrote:
As far as input impedance goes, my experience with the Stickup and the Rane AP-13 showed me the "mic input" channel was a little too "crispy-crunchy" in its tone because the input was very high, something like 15 MegOhm. So I guess I'm not sold on the idea that the impedance can't be "too high."

Your memory is a bit off. The mic channel input impedance is only 20 kiloohms, thus your problems were caused by the input impedance being too low. The piezo channel's input impedance is five megaohms.
Right you are Rob,

My memory is off, but not my argument. The piezo input on the AP13 was 5 MegOhm, and I thought that was too crispy crunchy sounding, so they lowered it to 1.7 for the SP13. I asked Steve at Rane to lower the impedance a bit from the piezo level.

Here's a link to the SP-13 manual: http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/sp13dat.pdf

He was really into the idea of one of his designs being so well-suited to The Stick.

Thanks for the correction. Please consider what I'm saying about the effect of the impedance being too high on the tone.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
My memory is off, but not my argument. The piezo input on the AP13 was 5 MegOhm, and I thought that was too crispy crunchy sounding, so they lowered it to 1.7 for the SP13. I asked Steve at Rane to lower the impedance a bit from the piezo level.

Here's a link to the SP-13 manual: http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/sp13dat.pdf

He was really into the idea of one of his designs being so well-suited to The Stick.

Thanks for the correction. Please consider what I'm saying about the effect of the impedance being too high on the tone.

I have the data sheets, schematics, and manuals for both the AP-13 and the SP-13 (as I mistakenly bought the former and have considered modding it into the latter). I do not see how input impedance can be too high, but I will dig into the subject in the coming days.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sounds like you need a lesson in capacitance and inductance, Rob! hahaha your posts are kind of funny... I think that perhaps you need to spend some time in the real world, maybe build a coil, play with some relay circuitry. Lol Move to Canada, I will apprentice you!

Ohm's law; affect one variable, and you affect the others, it is as easy as that. Meander off in to piezoelectricity and all kinds of things happen, but the physics don't change no matter how you try to control your voltage drops; Change your resistance and voltage and amperage will change. This remains true when you change the other variables. I deal with big, and small electricity on a daily basis for a living... No need to overcomplicate things, now is there? Lol

The manual is great, Greg. Thanks, man. It conveys the information required and I, for one appreciate it.

Now I gotta get back to being terrible at Stick...

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Sounds like you need a lesson in capacitance and inductance, Rob! hahaha your posts are kind of funny... I think that perhaps you need to spend some time in the real world, maybe build a coil, play with some relay circuitry. Lol Move to Canada, I will apprentice you!

Ohm's law; affect one variable, and you affect the others, it is as easy as that. Meander off in to piezoelectricity and all kinds of things happen, but the physics don't change no matter how you try to control your voltage drops; Change your resistance and voltage and amperage will change. This remains true when you change the other variables. I deal with big, and small electricity on a daily basis for a living... No need to overcomplicate things, now is there? Lol

Passive musical instrument pickups are quite complicated, as they are LCR circuits which interact with other resistors and capacitors (passive volume and tone controls). By all means, school me on LCR circuits or point me to a suitable reference: I did not get to where I am by refusing to learn new things.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
I have the data sheets, schematics, and manuals for both the AP-13 and the SP-13 (as I mistakenly bought the former and have considered modding it into the latter). I do not see how input impedance can be too high, but I will dig into the subject in the coming days.

There are places where specs and rules run smack into aesthetics... aesthetics, in this case a desired tone, often wins...

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol Where are you exactly, Rob? Chief manual reader? Armchair quarterback? Here is an example of "complicated" on which I will be spending my day...
Ohm's law, start there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:23 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

...lol I meant that in the nicest way possible. Hahaha

But is there any way we can maybe be a bit less critical of a really cool resource that Greg went out of his way to create for everyone?

I mean...

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
...lol I meant that in the nicest way possible. Hahaha

But is there any way we can maybe be a bit less critical of a really cool resource that Greg went out of his way to create for everyone?

I mean...
Scott, Thanks but it's totally cool. I asked for feedback, and I'll make use of as much of it as makes sense to me. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol ok. I shuts up...

*closes pie hole, goes back to practice cave...

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

greg wrote:
There are places where specs and rules run smack into aesthetics... aesthetics, in this case a desired tone, often wins..

Aesthetics are the result. Rules explain the result. The tone is not an accident, but a predictable occurrence from an understanding of natural law.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next