It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

Railboard vs stick 

Post Railboard vs stick
I live in a country where I won't be able to test a stick before I buy it. My question is what are the differences between the Railboard and the stick? Soundwise, playing comfort etc ;) :?:

Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Railboard vs stick
I will write a better reply when I have more time. For now, you may as well read something I wrote previously about the way the Railboard feels.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for such an unexpected quick response.
Reading you it seems that the Railboard is a more comfortable choice. I have gotten fascinated by the beauty of the sound and also the completeness of what you can do. I am a keyboard player and when I looked close at videos I realized that in many ways it's similar to playing a piano. So I want to give it a try. I am assuming that it sounds as good as the stick. i saw somewhere that Chapman himself recommended a higher tuning than the stick which made me wonder a bit about the sound. Is it the same?

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I will get back to you later tonight. I am only writing this because you will see that I will have created a long post after this. I mean no disrespect: the long post I am about to create will be almost entirely pasted text.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:11 pm
The Railboard is hands down the best Stick I have ever owned and played, no side effects like wood grain pulling out, no fret ends being exposed or any others related to wood expansion / contraction, the Railboard may be a bit cold or "hot" depending on where it's stored, and it might be a bit "heavy" but these are by no means complaints. The ten strings and their spacings are much to my liking. In the active mode (I play thru a Mackie 802VLZ4 mixer) the sound is superb. Nobody ever answered my query as to whether or not the pickups will switch on 24V or 15V Phantom Power, no biggy, Mackie's 48V.

I'd like to pose a question to all participating in this thread, this is a "for my information only" and does not reflect any experienced problem => fret ends are grounded as well as any non-finished instrument parts (including scratches thru the finish), is there any possibility of shorting 48V phantom power to ground thru me ?? Having worked in the TeleComm industry for 24 years of my life so far I know what it's like to short -48V thru me to ground, instant vocabulary change to say the least :D

I'd absolutely go with the Railboard, fantastic instrument !!!!!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

txtouchguitarist wrote:
I'd like to pose a question to all participating in this thread, this is a "for my information only" and does not reflect any experienced problem => fret ends are grounded as well as any non-finished instrument parts (including scratches thru the finish), is there any possibility of shorting 48V phantom power to ground thru me ?? Having worked in the TeleComm industry for 24 years of my life so far I know what it's like to short -48V thru me to ground, instant vocabulary change to say the least :D

There is no risk of that, provided your amp has a proper ground connection:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGokkrsO_Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg[/youtube]

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:28 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

One thing I like with the Stick is that it allows having two pickups on each side. I'm just finding that sound a too important color on my performance palette to consider a Railboard in its current shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I tried a Railboard and was impressed by the sound and engineering. To be completely honest, it didn't feel very nice to hold and play. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but wood all the way for me. And yes, I'm still a Stickup tragic!

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

adde65 wrote:
I tried a Railboard and was impressed by the sound and engineering. To be completely honest, it didn't feel very nice to hold and play. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but wood all the way for me. And yes, I'm still a Stickup tragic!

Cheers,
Andy

I've owned a rosewood Stick with a Stickup, a Polycarb with a Stickup and My current Stick is a 12 string Graphite Grand with the original PASV4 pickup. The Graphite Grand is by far the heaviest Stick I've owned which in my eyes is a negative. That said, even with the weight it feels solid as a rock and doesn't get effected much by humidity and weather changes and that's a BIG plus. I've never played a Rail Board (I would love to try one) but I don't think it would be as heavy as the Graphite Grand and I assume it would also not be effected much by weather and humidity changes. And in regard to pickups, as much as I like the PASV4 I actually prefer the Stickup and kind of wish my grand had a Stickup! If I ever bought a WOOD Stick again it would have a Stickup.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery