It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm

Stickology page 37 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Stickology page 37
Just wanted to share an "Aha!" moment.

I decided to experiment with the way I play a particular song. Currently I've been doing this specific tune two handed bass, but I wanted to try it out with a simpler bass line and add melody side chord support behind the guitarist's solo on part of the song.

I'd read the Polychords section of Stickology before, but had yet to actually apply it to a song of my choice. Progression is Dm -> Am7 -> Gm7 -> Am7 -> Dm. Re-read the section, took a few minutes to lay it out manually to make sure I understood the theory (rather than just springing from Steve's example of the same chord form), then tried it out.

I know this isn't new to many here, but... :o Wow, that's really slick, fits in really well!!! (Steve, if you're reading this, thanks man!)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Stickology page 37
Victor,
Every discovery is a GREAT discovery! and
every "Aha" moment is........ Priceless!

congrats and I love to hear these - the Stick will teach you!
Dave B "DBro"

Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Steve's materials are really great "meat and potatoes" information... He has great knowledge of theory and interesting insights on how to build polychrords. He really inspired me to dig in and get a better handle on theory, and not to be afraid of it!. Hail STEVE! :ugeek:

Tue May 05, 2015 10:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For sure! I have had quite a few AhHa moments in my lessons with Steve, polychord stuff featuring.

Tue May 05, 2015 12:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gang,
in case you a scratching a bald spot, stop- you don't want to go that paint route!
Steve's book and videos like the True Fire and Ultimate Stick are great, but to whet your whistle this is what Victor was talking about-

Polychords are a chord on a chord, or for us slug it out in the trenches give me something I can use on the gig, they are an easy way to remember and play more complex chords at the drop of a hat. ( or spray can- put that down!) :D

Victor talked about a progression or a series of chords in a certain order,
Dm7 -> Am7 -> Gm7 -> Am7 -> Dm7
a Dm7 - the d is the (root) - f (3rd note in the scale lowered a 1/2 step or flat 3rd) - a (fifth note in the scale)- and a c (7th note the major scale lowered a 1/2 step or a flat 7th a/k/a Dominant 7th) typical major scale for D ( think any Tom Petty song) d-e-f#-g-a-b-c#-d
here we use the f natural and c natural which are both flattened or lowered.

if you look at the upper notes past the root- you have f-a-c, or an F chord. voila violin viola

so you can think of major chords with just different notes in the bass so the above would be
F/D bass- C/A bass- Bb/G bass and back to C/A bass and finally F/D bass

Squeezy Peezy- OK, take your 2nd note in the chord and make a major chord and you get your Dominant minor 7th chord. d-f make an f chord. boom. that's all there is to it.

Use some close voicings and you got a hip cool sounding jam track with easy to remember chords and your bass notes within 3 frets and not all over the map.

Makes for great jamming and now you FREE YOUR MIND to have fun and try different rhythms and dynamics to make music enjoyable and listenable to both you and your audience!

howboutcha, hope this helps,
Dave B "DBro"
Lessons by SKYPE, Google + and Pony Express ( you bring the shovel!)

Tue May 05, 2015 3:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thu May 07, 2015 5:04 pm