It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 am

Airline Travel, recent 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Airline Travel, recent
Thanks Rob :) It's the same lengh than my acoustic bass but a lot thiner.... Shouldn't be any stress on an airplane :)

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu May 21, 2015 12:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

No problem,

Gig bag in overhead.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Rob.

Thu May 21, 2015 3:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Greg,
Note that on some international flights, the overhead bins have been shorter and it would not fit.
greg wrote:
No problem,

Gig bag in overhead.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Rob.

Thu May 21, 2015 8:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

On my last travel to Vancouver there was no issue getting my NS on the plane. The NS is about the same length and size as a guitar so it doesn't draw as much attention.

I flew on Air Canada and they were being very strict with carry on bag sizes. Everyone was required to put their carry on bad in the test fixture before entering the jetway to make sure it will fit.

On my way out I put my NS over my shoulder and went right through. Not sure if they just didn't see it or they let me through. I made sure I was ready to get in line as soon as they called my group to board. I did buy my ticket directly through the airline so that I would have a better boarding position and did cost me a few extra bucks.

On the way back the agent at the counter (before getting through security) gave me a gate check tag for my NS just in case there is no space. I really didn't want to because I thought that would be the flight crews decision but I didn't argue and went with it. At the gate I was on the ready to get in line as soon as my group was called. As I was getting on the plane one of the flight attendants did see the gate check tag and asked if I wanted to gate check it but I politely let her know that I wanted to see if there is space first. She didn't seem to mind at all and let me through. I found a space in the overhead and had no issues.

From this, and other, experiences flying with my Stick I have found that the crew is most understanding and will do what they can to accommodate you to get your instrument on the plane and in the overhead bin. However, I think it is the passenger's responsibility to try and do everything possible to get on the plane as early as possible by getting to the gate early, put yourself in a position to get in line early, and buy a ticket which puts you in a better boarding position. The last item will most likely cost some money and may not be feasible but it may be worth the money...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

From the Australian perspective my Alto flies a couple of times a month, sometimes domestic or to Asia, it's a little shorter which helps , one of the reasons I got it. I agree with some others though and board early or get a seat near the rear to board early depending on how they do it. I also have a small backpack. Nine times out of ten it's no worries, just on one route with small boeings that are always full where some at the gate get a bit " funny" about 2 items. I stay polite and always get through. It's bubble wrapped in a stick soft case which I also line with heavy cardboard as I pack it. so far so good. 87 days to the Mallorca trip, maybe I should take the standard rather than the Alto.....
Having it over my shoulder of course makes it a little less obvious sometimes, but not always!

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Airline Travel, recent
I just got home today from a gigg In Bilbao. The plain was very small (one seat on one side, two seats on the other., 19 rows total)
As usual they tagged us at the check in counter so that we would have to hand over the instruments at the airplane. As we always do, we were first getting out of the bus and reaching the airplane stairs. This time however the flight atendant didn't let us board first and told us to wait. We were all a bit worried by that but then she explained: the plain wasn't full so she wanted to see where everyone would seat to put the instruments not in the overhead compartments, but strapped in the empty seats. She never once considered that the instruments would go anywhere else but the cabin. My point: never stress, never start an argument, and always leave your request to the flight crew - they work with musicians every day and if you're polite, they will go out of their way to accommodate your instrument.
:)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

bachdois wrote:
I just got home today from a gigg In Bilbao. The plain was very small (one seat on one side, two seats on the other., 19 rows total)
As usual they tagged us at the check in counter so that we would have to hand over the instruments at the airplane. As we always do, we were first getting out of the bus and reaching the airplane stairs. This time however the flight atendant didn't let us board first and told us to wait. We were all a bit worried by that but then she explained: the plain wasn't full so she wanted to see where everyone would seat to put the instruments not in the overhead compartments, but strapped in the empty seats. She never once considered that the instruments would go anywhere else but the cabin. My point: never stress, never start an argument, and always leave your request to the flight crew - they work with musicians every day and if you're polite, they will go out of their way to accommodate your instrument.
:)

Wonderful story.
I think that many of us, me included, focus on what can go wrong and quick to be the first one to speak up and demand things. As you said, "they work with musician every day." They know the rules and regulations. They want to make your flight as pleasant as possible. Just let them do their thing and the outcome will most likely be a pleasant surprise.

But... as the saying goes... Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Prepare by having extra packing around your stick should you have to gate check. Get on board as early as possible. Know that (at least in the USA) you have the right to have your instrument in the overhead as long as there is space. Ask the crew to talk with the captain as many of them are musicians as well and may have some space for your stick. At the end of the day, be prepared for worst case to gate check...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery