It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Airline Travel, recent 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Airline Travel, recent
you mean the closet in the cabin right ?

still safe..

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks everyone, for telling your most recent airline stories. When I first started searching the forum for info on flying with my stick, most of the posts were from several years ago. It seems now that airline policies regarding instruments have gotten better, and the flight attendants are also more "in tune" with us! I spoke with a few other musicians as well before I flew.
I am happy that there is now new information to settle the nerves of anyone who will be flying with their stick. I was very uptight thinking I would have to gate check the stick, but honestly, the only one who seemed worried about it at the airport was me!
Cheers,
Rand

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 am
Contributor
Contributor

Boaz wrote:
you mean the closet in the cabin right ?

still safe..

Yes, but they were being extra cool in doing that.

My Bass always gets checked with the baggage.
The iSeries case is wonderful. Waterproof, has TSA latches.
I'm going to look into finding an iSeries case that would hold the Stick in it's gig bag.

Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sometimes they let us put the instruments in their own closet, the one for the flight atendants clothes, but they have to be in a real good mood. Another way to go at it is to have a really good flight case and just let it fly with the rest of the luggage.. I have a friend that builds me all the cases I ever need. He works with carbon fiber but he'll be making me one out of Kevlar for the stick cause I ride a lot in a bike and plan to take it with me everywhere. They are super light and so incredibly strong one can drive a truck thru it :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sounds interesting... Does he have any plan to build a run of those cases?

Mon May 04, 2015 4:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Don't see why not. Anyway I think SE hard cases should handle anything fligh companies throw at them :) will you be in Mallorca's seminar? If everything goes according to plan and I get my railboard in time I should bring it along with me in the kevlar's case. One of the main advantages with carbon fiber / Kevlar, is that he builds these cases anyway we design them. I have another friend ordering one with a compartment for his own clothes, not just his guitar. Very practical since airline companies only allow one luggage anyway: this way they don't bother you :)

All Links:

Mon May 04, 2015 5:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

No problem to take your stick on board if it's in a gig bag and you don't have any other hand luggage with you.

Just watch for the people boarding the plane who love to RAM their Samsonite in the overhead bin AFTER you've put your instrument in it.

You can also decorate your gig bag with a huge MUSIC INSTRUMENT sign, which (if they can read) might help them be a little softer with other people's stuff.

Nice thing when you're flying with your stick is that it gets a free health check when going through security.

Attachment:
x-ray stick.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 05, 2015 7:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

A product I would LOVE to see is a Kevlar "glove" for a Stick in the gig bag: pretty much the same dimensions, but much more portable that a fight case (I still have indents in my hands from carrying around the fight case in France a few years ago!).

Tue May 05, 2015 8:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hummmm... Actualy that's a pretty great idea..... What i was thinking of was something In the lines of a gigg bag made of kevlar but that you could carry like a back pack.

All Links:

Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Glad you like the idea, and I hope you realize it :D
What I would really like was to have two slots or some other way to be able use the gig bags' strap for transport: something that would allow yu to have it inside the Kevlar for shipping, but then you would extract the strap for transport.
I'll be at Stick Camp too, perhaps we can brainstorm a little bit about it ;)

Tue May 05, 2015 10:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next