It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

Airline Travel, recent 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Airline Travel, recent
Since there have been recent questions (from me!) concerning airline travel and the Stick, I just thought I would add my experience traveling on Jet Blue to Florida a few weeks ago.

I packed my stick with bubble wrap in side the soft case, just in case I had to check it. I do own the hard case as well, but was really loathe to check my Stick as baggage. I had previously looked up the new flight regulations concerning carry on of musical instruments which has finally been passed into law. Unfortunately it is rather vague, and says that if there is room in the overhead, the airline is supposed to let you bring it aboard. Of course I was apprehensive, knowing the ruling was just finalized (April, 2015). So I downloaded the link to my email and kept a copy on my phone "just in case", so I could show it to the flight folks if I was hassled.
At curbside check-in, the baggage handler looked at the case and said " Is that a rifle or a weapon?" I laughed and said: "Nope, it's a musical instrument". He said "Oh, ok." Boom... end of story! I carried it through security, they scanned it and narry a word. We went to the gate and when it was time to board I was really nervous about making sure there was room in the overhead. I knew the flight would be full, I was seated toward the front of the plane, thus would be one of the last to board. I started getting really nervous!
But as luck would have it, Jet Blue boards wheelchair and disabled first, VIP passengers next; then if you paid for 'wide seats, extra room' you go next (at 85$ a pop, my wife and I decided against that!). Then, they board "families with kids, active military, and *those needing extra time to board* ".. oh yeah! My wife and I got in line, approached the ticket agent, and I was ready to explain my situation, but... they never asked for a reason, or batted an eyelash! We went aboard, and had no issues with my stick in the overhead. A few curious looks, but that was it!
Same procedure on the return flight btw, and same results. I actually have a hip issue and was going to plead my case based on upcoming surgery (and a bit of an accentuated limp :shock: ), but the need never arose.

If you are flying with your Stick, I would suggest that there will not be any issues in boarding with it, as long as you have room to put it in the overhead.
HTH,
Rand

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Airline Travel, recent
Excellent - this was a great post. Thanks for sharing!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the post man. I think I'll be traveling with my Stick quite a bit this Summer, and though I do have a hard case for it, just like you said, checking it as luggage makes me feel uneasy.

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:01 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

The last time I flew (Delta) there was no overhead space available - before I had a chance to ask a flight attendant about it, I noticed I could just slide it behind the last row of seats and the back wall (which would be too narrow for someone to put anything but a very small bag).

I always get a window seat at the back of the plane as it lowers the boarding group and I always upgrade to group 1 if possible (often offered as a $9 or so charge).

Worst case scenario was needing to check it as I boarded the plane (I wrap the instrument in a large towel inside the soft case), and it was available as soon as I got off the plane along with strollers, wheelchairs, etc., I don't think it goes with the normal checked luggage.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi :)
From my experience, boarding musical instruments in airplanes is not a big deal most of the times. It kind of depends more on the airlines and the people at the check in counters than on anything else.
There are a few tricks we might use anyway, just to be on the safe side:
1 - Don't take it to the check in counter. If they don't see it, they won't ask you about it.
2 - Make shure your instrument is the only hand luggage you have.
3 - If they ask you about hand luggage, tell them you have a backpack but a friend is keeping an eye on it, back at the cafeteria across the hall.

If you happen to take it to the check in counter and they ask you about it:
a) Allways smile and agree to anything they say, just as long as you don't send it on those terrifying baggage belts.
b) Let them put whatever baggage label they whant to: you can always remove it.
c) Tell them you will leave the final decision to the airplane crew: they Always allow instruments to board the cabin, they will be nicer and less stressed (they haven't had to deal with stressed passengers for the past 6 hours). They will even put it inside their own clothes cabinet.

4 - Be one of the first people getting inside the plane. Some companies will start boarding from the back of the plane. Others just don't care. Choose your seat acordingly.
Anyway, up front, there is allways more room (don't ask me why, there just is).

5 - Finally, if there really is no avaylable room in the overhead compartment, the next best thing is to check it at the airplane door: It will be available as soon as you get off the plane, those things are handled with a lot more care (specially because the passengers can see them beying handled) and they wont go with the normal checked luggage. They will go in a special pressurized compartment.

Anyway, think of it like this: Anything with a smaller width than the body of an acoustic guitar will be just fine. Even if it's a bit longer.

Hope this helps :)
Cheers
Rodrigo

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Always, Always be prepared to "gate check" your Stick. Most guys here have success getting it onboard.....but consider yourselves lucky. The new rules should help though.

cheers,
kev

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Coming back from America to Indonesia with the still perfectly in tune poly carbonate stick that sat in my brother's garage for ten years we flew on Cathay airways. I didn't want to carry it since we have a baby plus her necessary accouterments so we checked it in the old style flight case after loosening the strings. The kind of case which feels and looks like it was made from the sides of a Peavey bass amp. Didn't lock it since, security is authorized to break locks which are locked. Arrived in Indonesia no problem.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:18 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

very usefull info.
i'm going to Mallorca stick seminar this summer
and was quite nervous about arguing wheter i can get the stick inside the cabin

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boaz wrote:
very usefull info.
i'm going to Mallorca stick seminar this summer
and was quite nervous about arguing wheter i can get the stick inside the cabin

I imagine that the final flight conections to the island, will be full of guys with a stick on their backs :)

Mine will be from Barcelona to Mallorca :) I haven't made that travel in a long time but usually, this kind of internal flights, are operated by really small airplanes, with tiny overhead compartements. My guess is that, for that particular last bit, We'll be hard pressed to hand them the instruments at the gate. Anyway, I've always managed to carry my acoustic bass with me on such planes, but then again, usually there's not that many instruments trying to board. :)
It will be a funny way to meet stick players: everyone trying to convince the cabin crew to let us take the sticks inside with us :)
looking forward to meet you there :)

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:30 am
Contributor
Contributor

I fly my '69 PBass in an SKB iSeries case.
I HATE carrying a bunch of stuff on planes/during layovers and having to fight for overhead bin space.

Just went on a flight to Australia and the overhead bins were substantially shorter than US planes. Our Guitar player had a gig bag that wouldn't fit (several other musicians on the plane too) and they put all the instruments in a closet.

Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 am