It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

Mirrored 4th lower tuning? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Mirrored 4th lower tuning?
I am interested in the mirrored 4ths tuning but I want a solid playable Low D.
Will I get the best tone on a D by sticking to the standard low B string or could I cheat up a bit?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:07 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Mirrored 4th lower tuning?
If you want the lowest tappable note to be the D, probably best to get a custom set of strings from Stick Enterprises, Emmett would be able to pick out the best gauges based on the pitches you want.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rob

I'm trying to get my head around what mirrored 4ths would look like on a 10 String with a Low B and what the melody side should be tuned to.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like to tune the lowest melody note a fifth above the lowest bass note, which gives you nice three note power chords across the lowest bass string and two lowest melody strings (you can play them with one finger).

As you may be aware, using a low B and tuning to mirrored 4ths on a 10 string will greatly limit the chord possibilities with the left hand (it will be in a muddier pitch range), if you just want to do bass lines it's ok.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Understood about the Bass Chord voicings.
But even having access to a 10th above the bass is useful to me.
I'll be running a pretty thick Bass side tonally and I like the easy scale access that the 4ths allows.

Mocking it up on paper, I am thinking about what notes I can access with my left hand on the Melody side while playing bass notes.

I'm starting work on an unconventional Pop/Rock record.
My goal is to be able to perform it live with Stick and Drums and a singer.
Holding Bass notes while arpeggiating with eh left hand and melody in the right hand isn't something I will need often.

I get more of a pounding bass cycle going with fills in the right hand leaving a big open space for the singer. Will likely add some Synth in to augment.

I have been experimenting on a borrowed NS Stick and have found that it would be nice to have more strings :)
Been finding some very interesting sounds can be made using muting, extreme effects, feedback.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:27 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Maybe try a low D on the bass side at the X fret

This puts your bass low E at fret 2, right on the inlay, a great reference point.

If you want a low melody range, then use the Deep Baritone set on the melody strings, this will put your guitar low E at fret 5, far enough away from the bass low E that you can execute unison parts (think Zepplin)

http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/dbm/

Otherwise, jump up the the MR tuning on the melody, which will give you a higher range, although without the "low guitar string"

A low C on the bass side would also be cool. Low B strikes me as "arbitrary" since we don't have open strings, and the inlay pattern on the Stick doesn't really comport to what you see on the bass any way.

Just my 2 cents.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Nice.
Trying not to have a random arrangement on the melody side:)
I do really like the tone of the Baritone range.

The NS Stick actually plays about as high as I need...I just run out of strings sometimes.So 10 or 12 strings would be great.

RE: Led Zep
I was trying play "Black Dog" in Unison octaves and was imagining playing it with inverted Bass! Yikes.

greg wrote:
Maybe try a low D on the bass side at the X fret

This puts your bass low E at fret 2, right on the inlay, a great reference point.

If you want a low melody range, then use the Deep Baritone set on the melody strings, this will put your guitar low E at fret 5, far enough away from the bass low E that you can execute unison parts (think Zepplin)

http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/dbm/

Otherwise, jump up the the MR tuning on the melody, which will give you a higher range, although without the "low guitar string"

A low C on the bass side would also be cool. Low B strikes me as "arbitrary" since we don't have open strings, and the inlay pattern on the Stick doesn't really comport to what you see on the bass any way.

Just my 2 cents.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:56 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Was just working on a song where i hit th e1st fret low C on the last note.
Was pretty cool through a big amp.

P.S.
Your "2 cents" are worth more :)

greg wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 pm
Contributor
Contributor

OK...

Finally getting to try this on my new (to me) 10 String Stick!
I had an extra set of strings to experiment with.
I just put an 8th String in the 9th position and a 9th in the 10th.
Will consult Emmett about the best gauges to use is this 'sticks'.
The 8th string could be slightly thicker and the 9th string feels slightly heavy but the tone is nice and round.

I am getting better separation with my hands (not stepping on each other with the voicings I am wanting to get) and my Bass lines are right under my fingers and just inverted.

My Bass Side:
D
G
C
F
Bb
Melody side is Standard

This gives me Right Hand Power Chords 3 Frets up from the Bass Strings.
Because the Bass is in 4ths, the power chords continue across the neck as I move up to the next Bass string. Easy Math.

The 1st and 6th Strings are 3 Octaves apart.
1st String 2nd fret dot E and 2nd string 7th fret dot E are also 3 octaves apart.
D on the X Fret 6th String and a D on the 1st String 12th Fret at the Dot.
Then I have A at the 6th String 7th fret (at the Dot) and A on the 2nd String 12th Fret at the Dot.
The same Symmetry is at the 7th and 17th Frets.
Making it even easier for a 'rock player' is that these notes are all commonly used.

Going to play like this a few days.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

This reminds me of why I tune my NS a half step down. I wish the NS has the X-fret because I want to tap the "open" string. I found that many tunes I was playing had open string notes but playing on the 5th fret was causing my hands to be very close to each other.
I play the low D quite a bit but I play a different instrument...

Also, i have experimented with good results by using the Whammy DT to tune up a forth or down a fifth to get an "extra string"...
I have found that over the last two years the tunes I write fit very nicely into the string available on the NS.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Tue May 19, 2015 1:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery