It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 am

resale experiences? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post resale experiences?
I'd like to try a stick. I've read that Stick Enterprises will buy back sticks, and that they retain their value well. I was hoping for a bit more concrete data on what a worst case scenario of buying and reselling a stick (if I don't like it) might cost me.

If I buy a stick (new or used) from Stick enterprises and sell it back to them after a year, what am I likely to see as the cost for my year of sticking? I take care of my stuff, assume the return condition would be like new except for scuffs on a case.

I'm considering a 10 string classic or 12 string grand, actv-2 setup.

Thanks for any info.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: resale experiences?
Hi JDT. Sticks maintain their value quite well. You can judge this for yourself by using the advanced search on eBay. Simply enter Chapman Stick as the keyword to search on, then check the sold listings. What you will see are Sticks that range in their feature sets and age, ranging from $1250 up to $2800, not including shipping.

Many people negotiate an "or better offer", but as of late, the demand for Sticks is up. What you won't see in the sold listings are Sticks being sold by people who have not researched the instrument and the market for the instrument. These are generally pawn shops or "pro" eBayers that have legacy 34" instruments that are being solicited as vintage.

Don't be that buyer.

It is helpful to understand the improvements that have been made to the instrument over the years. Simple things like a metal bridge, rails and a good setup add value whether you are purchasing or selling. Greg hosted a nice FHF session on purchasing a Stick, very in depth but worth your time for certain.

If you purchase directly from Stick Enterprises, you are guaranteed a good setup, which means, you don't have to ship the instrument back to Woodland Hills and then wait for the work to be done. This is a big selling point when it comes time to sell the instrument - which does not necessarily have to be sold back to SE. SE is an independent operation, so you'll need to read up on their return policy.

Of course, everyone here is going to tell you the same thing. Go for it. Then, start planning your next purchase :D

There are many people interested in the Stick, people that want a good instrument at a fair price. Seeing as how demand is up, it's a win-win right now. If you are learned up on the instrument, the delta on what you pay and what you sell it for could range from +/-$100, which is not bad. You can make a little or write it off as a rental.

Either way, keep us posted on your thoughts. Lots of friendly faces here to help you with your next step.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'd add, a few weeks ago I contacted Emmett about used / returned Sticks in stock (I was interested in a used SB8) and he had no used / returned SB8s available, and last time I checked the web site it didn't list any used Sticks available at all. Best bet is to call SE direct and speak with them, they will let you know if anything used is available. If you get one directly from them it'll be like new! Also on resale, you will get a very good resale from the forum members or e-bay. I ASSUME you wouldn't get quite as much if you traded it in or sold it back to SE because I ASSUME they need to buy wholesale to sell retail. Mind you, the last statement is just my assumption ... I need to make sure that is clear. So I ASSUME if you buy and decide to sell you make get more money from e-bay.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ray you are exactly right. SE needs to be profitable, so there is markup on the instrument. Not as gnarly or spineless as the markup you might see if you were trading something in at Guitar Center (and mind you, I like GC and the people that work here in the local Murrieta store), but it's business.

That said, I would wholeheartedly agree that you will get a better price (pronounced more fair) on the Stickist (AFSTG if you are in Europe) or on eBay if you have thoroughly researched the instrument. There are many potential Stickists who are anxious to get a Stick and not have to wait 3-6 months for a new instrument.

I see that nine Sticks have been sold on eBay since January 1, 2015. There are 2 up there that are older 34" scale instruments who are asking for ~$2500 and a third just went up undercutting them at $2399. These can be otherwise ignored.

If you look closely, you will see a fourth instrument at $2400. This person knows what they are doing as this instrument is only 2.5 years old and they are asking a fair price. Chances are this instrument's intonation is still in decent shape, has rails, 36" (with xFret), truss, PASV-4 and lists the gauge of string as well as the tuning. There is also a 10-string Tarara with an ACTV-2 for $2100. Great deal.

These latter 2 sellers will get a quick and fair deal, unlike the other 3 gold-digging eBayers who have not read up on the instrument and the market for it. They will continue to post their bid in hopes that someone will make an impulse purchase.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, thanks for the replies.

I'd already viewed the FHF 'how to buy a stick' episode (pretty much all two hours of it, I guess that's how you know somebody is interested). I'm mostly just trying to figure out what kind of hit I'm likely to take if I have to sell it, since I sure can't keep it if I don't use it. I guess watching the ebay listings will give me some clues. The ones you pointed out where instructive.

I notice the listings tend not to mention anything about the belt. I often see people wearing some kind of belt for the belt hook, are those generally included in stick sales? I don't see them listed in the accessories section on the stick site.

I'm guessing a belt hook and the elastic band of sweatpants isn't a winning combination.

Thanks,

Dave, the 'd' in jdt.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

jdt wrote:
Hi All, thanks for the replies.

I'd already viewed the FHF 'how to buy a stick' episode (pretty much all two hours of it, I guess that's how you know somebody is interested). I'm mostly just trying to figure out what kind of hit I'm likely to take if I have to sell it, since I sure can't keep it if I don't use it. I guess watching the ebay listings will give me some clues. The ones you pointed out where instructive.

I notice the listings tend not to mention anything about the belt. I often see people wearing some kind of belt for the belt hook, are those generally included in stick sales? I don't see them listed in the accessories section on the stick site.

I'm guessing a belt hook and the elastic band of sweatpants isn't a winning combination.

Thanks,

Dave, the 'd' in jdt.

The belt hook comes with the Stick, it's up to you to supply a belt. Personally I just use my regular pants belt everyday.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

jdt wrote:

You could incorporate that into a stand-up comedy routine along side your solo set!

Everyone has their personal preference as to what kind of belt they like to use. Weight lifting belts are popular, as is just another regular ol' pants belt.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery