It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 am

Stick Tunings 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick Tunings
I started thinking about the different Stick tunings and how to decide on which tuning works for a particular style of music or song structure. http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/

A thought crossed my mind, that with a pair of GK-3 pickups, selecting the different tunings would be as simple as spinning the patch wheel on a GR-55. This would allow tunings to be changed in seconds. Any thoughts?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Stick Tunings
Ive been considering this myself actually. I own the VG-99, and have used it on occasion to play bass on the melody side. I was thinking a crafty tuning, or all 5ths would be interesting. Of course a GK on the bass side would allow 4ths tunings. I think I would rather go with the boss GP10 on that side however. But Im not a fan of Roland synth sounds, even on the GR-55, so YMMV.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Yea you can re-tune with MIDI or better yet the VG-99's non midi pitch shifting. I don't think the pitch shifting will sound nearly as good as a normal Stick. IF you are going for only midi then its an ok idea and in that case look at the GI-20 or similar units so you can use outboard synths and soft synths. Also, there will be some latency unless the VG-99 pitch shifting is impeccable. I have never heard a perfect string pitch shifter, you can get close but you need to feel the tactical feel of the stick. Also if you did not know the lowest bass strings are the worst for latency and tracking pitch. I do enjoy changing tuning's on the melody side with my GK-2, but then its only midi sounds. Not quite the real deal. Hope that helps

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:56 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

the VG 99 and Boss GP 10, and the modelling aspects of the GR-55, use the GK pickup, but does not MIDI, so there is no latency involved. Like I mentioned I have played with the alternate tuning on the melody side, and have liked the results. Now, that said, I have used the factory presets, including emulating for example a jazz or P bass, so it didnt sound like a stick in a different tuning.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery