It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:12 pm

To Railboard or not to Railboard, that is the question 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post To Railboard or not to Railboard, that is the question
Guys help me out here… I have a lovely Bamboo Grand/Stickup that I love. I have the funds for a new Stick, and thought of the Railboard… I tried them @ FHA and was not won over, however the door is not closed….
1. I found the instrument cold to the touch and of course the Feel was quite different.
2. The sound intrigues me and the palate of colors it can produce seems satisfying.

any of you guys out there have both wood and Rail and could comment. thanks so much.

Fri May 09, 2014 8:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: To Railboard or not to Railboard, that is the question
I don't have both but I do have an opinion. I want 12-strings. I tried a Railboard at Interlochen last summer and I think I could deal with the feel and weight, but not 10-strings. I chatted with Emmett about this once and he prefers the original 10-string design and I think that's fine for a 4ths/5ths tuning. I use a mirrored 4ths tuning and it just doesn't work without 12-strings. Do you have a short-scaled Stick?

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Eric…. I have your old Bamboo Grand! And I lean toward what you were saying… I want 12 strings as well…. Thanks… and by the way, I just love that STICK!
randy
:mrgreen:

Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I have a Railboard and I like it a lot. It's just so solid and in tune and it feels like it will stay that way at least a couple hundred years. The intonation,action and tuning stays put to say the least. That's a welcome feature on any stringed instrument. It sits on a stand in my music room and I never have to tune it much - just pick it up and play. Lotsa cool tones and has a nice bright twank I really like as well as a mellow setting like what Greg gets out of his. I wish I had 12 strings but I certainly don't need them at this point and could conceivably be happy with this for the rest of my life. When I first got it I thought it was gonna be a problem that the frets didn't stand out color-wise but the more I play it the less of an issue that is. It's got some heft to it but I normally play sitting down cello style with one of my Lap Dawg gadgets so the little extra weight just gives it a lower center of gravity and helps balance it when you play like that - kinda like riding a Honda Gold-Wing. The string spacing is about like a 10 string Grand if you're into that. Lotsa room to roam. I like mine just fine.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have both wood sticks and a Railboard. My wood sticks are 10 stringers (Alto and 10 string Grand). I like the feel of the railboard, especially the thin, sculpted out neck. If I were you, I would hold off on the Railboard for now. My guess is a 12-string model will be offered within the next year or two. Me, I can't wait that long....I have an order in for a 12-string ash model...

Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

When it comes in 12 string I will buy one: I use the high string on the bass side and the low melody string all the time, I really "need" them.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't own both a wooden Stick and a Railboard right now, but I did for a short time.
In my case, my love for my Railboard has as much to do with physical comfort while playing as anything else. The spacing of the strings and the thinness of the instrument have really done wonders for my meat hooks ... um, hands. If you don't have larger hands, and you feel perfectly comfortable on wooden Sticks, why go for a Railboard?
If you like how the R-Block sounds enough for you to consider getting a Railboard, I might suggest getting a wooden Stick with an ACTV-2 pickup. From what I've heard on some Kevin Keith videos, the sounds of the ACTV-2 and the R-Block in active mode, while not identical, are in the same ballpark. (If you haven't seen Greg's "Meet the Pickups" video in a while, maybe go back and revisit it, and see if the ACTV-2 might float your boat.)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat May 10, 2014 4:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks so much for your replies, they were all very helpful.

Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
Eric…. I have your old Bamboo Grand! And I lean toward what you were saying… I want 12 strings as well…. Thanks… and by the way, I just love that STICK!
randy
:mrgreen:

It makes me happy to know that my old bamboo is being played and enjoyed. Usually when we let instruments go they disappear and we always wonder how they're doing. This is better, thanks.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat May 10, 2014 7:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Railboard would be a great addition to your 12 string. The neck is wider than a normal
10 string so it would probably feel a little less crowded on the fretboard. I think is is a
good choice though because the playing experience is much different and would be a compliment to the twelve.The way the thumb fits 'into' the bevel, how different the playing surface is and I think the most noticeable difference; the pickup creates a sound that you cannot get any other way. With Midi it would be off the charts as another way to explore music
especially with your talent.
Another thought, if you are a Matched Reciprocal player then go with Emmetts 'Raised
Matched Reciprocal'. You might not like it at first but everything is the same just in a higher
register :| ...I realized that the Railboard in this tuning is actually, or could be thought of as
a Baritone Alto :twisted: It seems to be right in the sweetspot where the Alto can seem too
high and you want a little more bass but a regular Stick does not get the highs
that are as easy to play without going up really high on the fretboard. My thoughts anyway...

jRj
:geek:

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat May 10, 2014 12:01 pm