It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Changing from Medium gauge to Heavy Gauge 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Changing from Medium gauge to Heavy Gauge
I was reading Pers last posting on tuning and string tension…. I would like to have the tension be a little more "stiff" . By putting replacing mediums w/heavy gauge, am I going to have to do a lot of tweaking with the bridge and truss? Thanks….

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Changing from Medium gauge to Heavy Gauge
I am curious about this as well...!

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

rclere wrote:
I was reading Pers last posting on tuning and string tension…. I would like to have the tension be a little more "stiff" . By putting replacing mediums w/heavy gauge, am I going to have to do a lot of tweaking with the bridge and truss? Thanks….

The big change you may have to make at the bridge is on the 6ths string -- If you're going from a wrapped-at-the-bridge C to a unwrapped one, you'd have to adjust the action. As long as the other strings sit at the same height, you'd probably on have to adjust the truss rod.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

When changing string gauges or tuning you should check everything (truss rod, string height and intonation.) as all 3 could be effect by the change. As said above, the biggest change will come in string height at the bridge due to a change from a wrapped or unwrapped string end.

I've gone between light and heavy a few times so I have had to make those changes. They should be less when going from medium to heavy.

If you are just trying a tuning or a gauge to see if you like it, the intonation might not be so far off that it is worth changing until you are sure if you want to stick with it.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

good points so far. Don't forget that the fatter string will ride higher in the V channels at the nut and bridge, which means those will need to be "lowered" except in the case of stepped strings.

I like to suggest taking a couple of photos of the bridge especially, but there will be indentations in the slide blocks from where you have the intonation currently set, so you can "revert" easily enough.

Generally speaking, all the strings will need to be lengthened slightly, unless one changes from a plain to a wound string, in which case it will need to be shortened slightly.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks all for the replies, very much appreciated...

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 pm