It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 pm

Scale Length: Grand Stick or SG12? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Scale Length: Grand Stick or SG12?
In the months since I canceled my Stick order to fund my prototyping efforts, I have rid myself of at least half of my previously mind numbing fatigue. That progress has forced me to reevaluate a number of plans and conclusions developed by my fatigued former self, whom I have come to refer to as "Zombie Rob."

The new year sees me planning my budget for the next six months and slowing down on my prototyping work (given how long it will take me to afford the patent fees). To that end, I am thinking about my upcoming Stick order. My original order for a Grand Stick was based solely on the kinds of music I expected to make with my Stick. However worthwhile that line of thinking was, Zombie Rob forgot to consider scale length. My G&L Legacy HB (the recipient of my prototype circuit) has a scale length of 25.5 inches, and the distance between the first and third frets is impossible for my left hand to span. It is possible that the Stick's construction will allow my left hand to stretch more effectively, but I think it unlikely that such an improvement would overcome the 1.081 inch addition to that distance created by the Grand Stick's 36 inch scale length. It is difficult to argue with a neuromuscular disorder at the best of times, so I am thinking of getting an SG12 for its shorter scale length.

Did any of you transition from electric guitar to a Stick with either a 34 or a 36 inch scale length? How difficult was that transition in terms of fret spacing?

For those of you who have transitioned between a Stick and an SG12, what is your perspective on my fret spacing concerns?

As usual, everyone is invited to add whatever the feel is relevant to the discussion. I am looking for outside perspectives.

Oh, I should probably explain: I realize that the lower frets are unlikely to be used, especially for chords, given the range of the Stick's bass side. I am unusually fond of low notes, but my primary concern is overall fret spacing as dictated by scale length.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Scale Length: Grand Stick or SG12?
with all due respect… stop talking, stop posting, order your STICK and Play… you will have much joy!!! :D

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
with all due respect… stop talking, stop posting, order your STICK and Play… you will have much joy!!! :D

The price of a Grand Stick with the PASV-4 Block is 33.5% of my gross annual income, so please forgive my tendency to measure repeatedly before indulging in the cut. :ugeek:

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

if u like low notes, get a big Stick. if u follow this forum, u will notice that the Stick is not a guitar and guitar technique does not only not apply, but is a hinderance. look at Emmett's method and Greg Howard's instructionals. FREE HANDS.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
if u like low notes, get a big Stick. if u follow this forum, u will notice that the Stick is not a guitar and guitar technique does not only not apply, but is a hinderance. look at Emmett's method and Greg Howard's instructionals. FREE HANDS.

I appreciate the spirit of your post, but can you answer any of the questions I asked?

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:

Analysis paralysis...

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have a 36" scale 10-string and I play the lower frets all the time. My Stick is tuned to baritone melody, so it's a standard bass tuning.

I don't play guitar and have not tried a SG-12, so I can't offer any advice from that perspective. But it sounds like you know the exact distances between the frets, maybe try to graph that out on some paper and see how your hand does against that? Also, look up how chord shapes look on a Stick. There are various posts here with people providing a code/graphic representation, so that should give you some idea of what sort of shape your hand will need to be able to do.

It's difficult to advise, I doubt any of us can know what sort of challenges your neuromuscular disorder creates for you. Honestly, I think your best bet is to find a way to try out either an SG-12 or a Grand and see how your hands do.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

When you say you can't span the 1st and 3rd frets of your guitar, are you referring to your first finger and pinky? "Holding" a chord shape or moving from one note to another?

I played guitar and bass before Stick, and didn't find fret span to be much of an issue, but I don't know the particulars of your medical condition - I found that the Stick was much easier to play on the bass side compared to a similar scale length bass (the closer spacing and inverted strings have something to do with this - chord shapes are more "ergonomic", as well as the fact that the left hand plays a very different role- you don't typically "hold" wide stretches while the right hand articulates notes as on guitar or bass, but instead you move your hand around more). In all, the difference in playing method between Stick and guitar/bass (the mentality of two handed playing, tapping to articulate notes vs. "holding" shapes, etc) is a much bigger transition issue than fret spacing.

If you like low notes I would be more inclined to get a Stick, you can always focus more on the higher frets if necessary.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

carvingcode wrote:
Analysis paralysis...

Robstafarian wrote:
The price of a Grand Stick with the PASV-4 Block is 33.5% of my gross annual income, so please forgive my tendency to measure repeatedly before indulging in the cut. :ugeek:

Actually, the proper term is being 26% below the poverty line and subject to punishments for having additional income.

Show some respect for my situation, if not the years of suffering it has caused, please. It is quite likely that I will only have one chance in my entire life to afford a Chapman Stick, so my decision must be as informed as possible.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Claire, graphing the distance is a brilliant idea. I will do that very soon, especially if I can find a way to model the thickness of the fingerboard.

Rob, I am referring to spanning the first to third frets with the first finger and pinky as one would a chord on a guitar. I do not expect to do that, exactly, but I find that there is a relationship between my left hand's stretching range and a difficult to articulate intuitiveness of positioning (somewhat like hand/eye coordination). Basically, I am worried that a Grand Stick's fret spacing would be too large to span and big enough to get lost in. Maybe I will think of a better way to articulate the concept in the near future.

robmartino wrote:
I played guitar and bass before Stick, and didn't find fret span to be much of an issue, but I don't know the particulars of your medical condition - I found that the Stick was much easier to play on the bass side compared to a similar scale length bass (the closer spacing and inverted strings have something to do with this - chord shapes are more "ergonomic", as well as the fact that the left hand plays a very different role- you don't typically "hold" wide stretches while the right hand articulates notes as on guitar or bass, but instead you move your hand around more). In all, the difference in playing method between Stick and guitar/bass (the mentality of two handed playing, tapping to articulate notes vs. "holding" shapes, etc) is a much bigger transition issue than fret spacing.

Thanks, this is exactly the perspective I was hoping for.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:13 am