It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 pm

amps n cabs, whats your choice... 

Post amps n cabs, whats your choice...
Hi, as a bassist thats just gone to stick Im using my gk mb150 in mono, it sounds nice but the other mono jack is calling for an amp for the treble split and I was thinking roland cube or jc series, whats your set up and how much does it affect the overall stick sound when unprocessed.

nigel.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: amps n cabs, whats your choice...
nig wrote:
Hi, as a bassist thats just gone to stick Im using my gk mb150 in mono, it sounds nice but the other mono jack is calling for an amp for the treble split and I was thinking roland cube or jc series, whats your set up and how much does it affect the overall stick sound when unprocessed.

nigel.

For me it's a constant search!!! My best results have come from a full Mackie sound system, two 450 tops with sub. Over kill to be sure but what a great sound. I've been looking into keyboard amps but I keep coming back to sound systems. I think if you can afford it and can transport it a small sound system is the best bet. THEN preamps! I like Zoom A2 peddles and just bought a Rane AP13 preamp. (Haven't gotten it yet ... won it on e-bay) Then of course there's the StepABout Stick preamp which is the top dog Stick preamp today. For passive Stick pickups preamps seem to really help the sound come alive.

Do a search on the site ... I'm sure there are a million different suggestions already here .... 250 from me alone! :mrgreen:

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi Nigel,

I use a Line6 POD X3, on which I can connect both sides of the stick and choose amps and cab's seperatly for the bass and melody section.

I cannot tell you anything other than that the amp simulation is pretty accurate. There's like over 70 guitar amp models and 28 bass amp models and a lot of cabs, also the typical and popular ones for both guitar and amp.
It also has a lot of effects (essentials like reverb, chorus, delays, stomps) and quit a number of new ones (invented by Line6, pretty funny for effect freaks!!)
Signal routing can be done per preset (this comes in very handy for the stick, believe me) and also the possibilities for using your own (pre)amp/cab is there, different outputs for PA system and monitoring (even with seperate volume control!)
At home, I always practice with a headphone and I think the sound quality is very good

Anyways, maybe it's option to try one before buying real amps and cabs.

Cheers,
Bas.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 am

Personally I do not use any "real" amp for my Stick, I just plug it in my audio chain
and fire GR3. For my taste, that is even too much.... :D :D :D

Otherwise the sound is processed in the synthesizers...

Alex

Polycarbonate 10 strings "Ye Olde Polie" #2282
Grand Graphite 12 strings "Doomsday Device" #5617

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:14 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I now use a Peavey PR-15P powered front end speaker with a Rane AP-13 acoustic preamp ... love it!!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

nig wrote:

nigel.

Hi Nigel,

There are quite a few thread deaing with this in this section of the forum:

viewforum.php?f=4

I'm a big fan of full-range bass cabs, particularly the Bag Ends. I chose these because they sounded like studio monitors to my ear, but with a bit more spread out sound.

It really depends on whether you see yourself playing "bass+guitar" or a more integrated full-range sound.

Try as many different approaches as possible, and when you hear one that really knocks your socks off, you'll have your answer (until you hear another that really knocks your socks off, that is...)

Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery