It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 New Stick Tech video: comparing the Stickup, ACTV-2 & PASV-4 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post New Stick Tech video: comparing the Stickup, ACTV-2 & PASV-4
Hi everyone,

I've put up a new Stick Tech video showing you all three of the pickups available for the various Chapman Stick models, the Stickup, ACTV-2 ("Active Two") and PASV-4 ("Passive Four

Various sound samples played on two Grand Sticks (one wenge and one rosewood) with the same tunings and string gauges, both direct through a preamp and through a guitar and bass amp. The Stickup has one "sound", the ACTV2 was played with tone all the way up and also rolled off, and the PASV-4 was recorded with all the various pickup and filter combinations.

I hope it's helpful to you in deciding which pickup to get for your instrument.

Because there are so many sound samples, it's a pretty long video. I'll be organizing the sound samples in an mp3 table for the SE website as well for easier comparing of the different sounds.

If you have any questions about the pickups, please feel free to post.

Happy Viewing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxgqXv74FQ[/youtube]

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New Stick Tech video: comparing the Stickup, ACTV-2 & PA
Greg, the quality and selflessness of your work has made me quite effusive lately. Rather than embarrass both of us, I will just say this: you could not have picked a better time to post this (honestly).

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Greg, the quality and selflessness of your work has made me quite effusive lately. Rather than embarrass both of us, I will just say this: you could not have picked a better time to post this (honestly).
Cheers, Rob,

Glad you like the quality of the video. For me it's a real pleasure to put stuff like this out there. The Stick is such a great-sounding instrument. I hope you get a chance to catch a show soon. I have a few in Virginia next month, which I'll be posting soon.

I think I may start using the PASV-4 instrument on more gigs, I found some really nice things about it doing the sound samples.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great video Greg, really enjoyed it
I'd say my favorite bass sound was easily the Stickup. Its low end character and acoustic like properties were an easy sell.
Now my favorite melody sound was a huge toss up. My favorite distorted sound was the ACTV-2. Although the clean sound was a very tough call, I liked them all!

I feel I made the right choice ordering the stickup on my to-be stick. This video is going to be a tremendous help to those ordering sticks.

The only addition I'd make is time markers in the description that can be jumped to for an A/B comparison.

Last edited by AndyJPro on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
I hope you get a chance to catch a show soon. I have a few in Virginia next month, which I'll be posting soon.

Thanks, I hope I'll be able to get to one. Unfortunately, various aspects of my transportation situation (that sure makes it sound more sensitive than it is) mean that I will almost certainly have to miss out when you play roughly 20 minutes away from me next week.

Oh well, there's always Skype.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Great video! Thanks Greg!

Your video just confirmed my choice for the Pas-4 as being the correct one for me. When I ordered my stick I wasn't quite sure which pick up because I didn't have the option of playing them all side by side. I went with the Pas-4 because it showed the most versatility so i figured I'd cover most bases with it. Although I like the sound of all the pickups, especially the stick up, the versatility of the Pas-4 really gives alot of options for sound. I am very happy with it.

Tom

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Chiming in with the Greg praising choir - well done, this post makes history! :-) Great with the scientific approach, comparing every single sound option of all three pickups. It would be nice with a "Part 2" where you play a short tune, the same tune played by the same player through all three pickups.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
...played on two Grand Sticks (one wenge and one rosewood) with the same tunings and string gauges...

Hi Greg,
which String Gauge is it?

Michael

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

michaelpaffen wrote:
greg wrote:
...played on two Grand Sticks (one wenge and one rosewood) with the same tunings and string gauges...

Hi Greg,
which String Gauge is it?

Michael
Hi Micheal, I mentioned it in the video but forgot to here. Medium gauge.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Proof that good work can have unforeseen benefits:

Watching that video gave me an idea, which then caused me to contact Emmett regarding a collaboration (the seeds were planted months ago in the thread about the Railboard). Time differences mean that he has not had a chance to respond yet, and I don't want to raise false hope, but it is still a wonderful tertiary effect.

Thanks again, Greg.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next