It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 am

Is 10-strings enough strings? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Is 10-strings enough strings?
Responding to a post in a different thread got me thinking a lot about whether we really need 12-string instruments, or if, most of the time, 10 strings is enough.

I'll reserve comment for a bit as I'm really interested in seeing what you all have to say.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Is 10-strings enough strings?
10 probably would have been enough for me but there was a 12 close by when I bought mine. I rarely play the B on the melody side (matched recip) but always play the B on the bass side.

kev

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lately I've taken to working up some semi-Culbertson-like arrangements of tunes that use the fingerstyle approach and for that, I like more overlap to the sides than 10-strings provide. I do find I use that higher bass string quite often. The higher melody side string (I came from 10-string Baritone Melody) not so much. I believe that's why Bob pushed for 12-strings in the first place although he was certainly not lacking on 10.

Now I suppose you could use the same logic to make an argument for even more strings so where do you say enough is enough? Well ... I do think that eventually you get to a place where your instrument becomes so unwieldy that you've negated any gains. To me, the standard 12-string instrument is just about perfect.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Being a total geek, and thinking about the percentage I play each melody string, the highest use strings would be the 3rd and 4th strings, then the 2nd followed by the 5th and then the 1st. The 6th string is my lowest use. So to answer the question, I think that "most of the time" 10 would be plenty.

However, with 6th melody string it's a case of when you need it, you need it. Even though it's the least used melody sting in my playing, I do use it far more than I thought I would when I first started 18 months ago.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 am
Contributor
Contributor

I settled with 10 because I usually handle the low end when playing with friends. I did not have a need for two higher tuned strings ,especially on the bass side.I gravitate towards low notes when soloing which lead me to Baritone melody. String spacing was also a concern for me (giant hands) and I have had 10 strings since 1984 ,so it is comfy.

Plus ,I have an XBL ,which is the coolest there is and it has 10 strings.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I had considered an SB8 when I ordered my stick, but I went with the 10...I tend to do more riff and groove oriented stuff, I very rarely incorporate either of the "outside" strings...I use the outside bass the least rarely, and usually incorporated in a chordal form...the outside melody I use almost never, I've been considering making the two highest on the melody side something different...long story short, I don't think I could handle 12, I prefer the proportions of the 10 too, the 12 looks a little too big.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Glad you switched this over Greg,...

If you combine the low string on the melody side with the extended range at the low end
of the 36 inch scale Stick there are some things that can happen that are totally unique to the 12 string, i.e. sounds and textures, cool motor's, Chunk'a, chunk'a chordy comps that once
you discover them :| I think, there is no going back. Another big part of it for me,
a 10 string die hard was Tom Griesgraber's recommendation of heavy gage
strings, I thought they would be too "heavy" :P Not true. Heavy strings are
totally playable, bendable, wonderful and in fact add huge stability
to the platform :arrow: :| IMHO...

Also the extra bass melody string can be played as another "auxiliary" bass lead :? ... I add the confused face because I don't understand the theory behind that string. It seems weird, tacked on, like it's not on the "fretboard to infinity bandwagon" (no pun intended ;) ) So you need to remember guitar like; 'oh, don't use it
here, or there; it's a clam'.

But once you understand that the string is 'particular' it has lots
of uses like it is a throwback to Emmett's "wild string"; as long as you know you have it,
a lot of the time you can just forget about it. It doesn't get in the way like the extra string on the bass side (another story) but has great use's for effect like it is a "bass ornamentation
string" :geek: Very cool and magnanimous for and instrument that was invented by a guitarist.
..*j*
...~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I love the chords that can be played using the "extra" bass and melody strings: I noticed that when I play ten strings, a large portion of what I play normally can't be played or is a lot more difficult to play...

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ten strings make you move a lot more along the instrument, which brings better timing, steadier dynamic (no need for a compressor).

Very useful when you sing. It also makes you take advantage of the timbres of the same chords played on different strings and locations on the fretboard.

Prevents position playing and since you're quickly out of your confort zone, you have to be more creative.

10 is enough, less is more.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Good morning....

I keep telling myself that having ordered a 10 XG (Graphite) 5 years ago, was a blessing in disguise for me, for one good reason. I want to be able to get the most I can out of the Stick on 10 strings.

I especially like the higher bass side for singing bass melodies and using thumb of the right hand to play the 9th interval in a chord, with root position Maj triad on melody side. These kind of shapes have become very comfortable to me and often get me out of a tight corner when transcribing songs.

I can imagine I might have been more distracted with a 12 in my hands to begin with, though one day I'm going to have to order a 12... oh yeah..!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 pm