It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 pm

Lessons with Steve Adelson 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Lessons with Steve Adelson
Today I had my second lesson with Steve Adelson and I don't live in New York, I wasn't at a seminar and he wasn't in Pennsylvania. So, how did we to it? By the advancement of modern man! Through Skype we were able to talk and see each other!

This is how it works.

1. Contact Steve.
Numerous ways this can be done, email is probably the best way.

2. Set up a time.
This is one of the best options! Steve will work with you're schedule.

3. Payment.
Rely on the security of Paypal. It's almost as fast as handing him cash.

4. Open Skype.
Call Steve or have him call you.

That's it!

Now, Steve is a great teacher. He spent some time getting to know my musical history and has tailored each lesson for my skill level and interest. When he says you get a full hour, you get an hour full of some of the best information on the Stick. You want theory? You got it. You want style? You got it. You want technique? You got it. You want him to reroute his travel plans to stop at your house? You're out of luck. But, all else is included.

Have you ever watched Steve play and are just mesmerized by the fluidity of his playing? It's like watching a magic trick. You always want to know how it's done. What if you could talk with the magician and learn the trade secrets from the source? Steve will demystify his style and show you, not only the how, but also the why.

So, you're not walking away with a simple technique that will wow audiences. You're gaining the knowledge of how to dissect music, improvise while playing with others and learning the avenues for better song construction.

If you're on the fence about studying under Steve, go for it. I've been playing Stick for over 10 years and Steve has been challenging me to break down barriers and get out of the comfort rut I've worked myself into. I'm growing as a Stick player by having someone walk me through a new style and technique I have shied away from.

All this and I get bragging rights as having studied with Steve Adelson! :-D

-Samson

http://www.samsonstick.com

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:05 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Lessons with Steve Adelson
samsonstick wrote:
Today I had my second lesson with Steve Adelson and I don't live in New York, I wasn't at a seminar and he wasn't in Pennsylvania. So, how did we to it? By the advancement of modern man! Through Skype we were able to talk and see each other!

Uh huh.

samsonstick wrote:
This is how it works.

1. Contact Steve.

2. Set up a time.

3. Payment.

4. Open Skype.

That's it!

New revenue stream for steve. Surprised it took him this long. Must be slow on the real book circuit.

samsonstick wrote:
Now, Steve is a great teacher. He spent some time getting to know my musical history and has tailored each lesson for my skill level and interest. When he says you get a full hour, you get an hour full of some of the best information on the Stick. You want theory? You got it. You want style? You got it. You want technique? You got it. You want him to reroute his travel plans to stop at your house? You're out of luck. But, all else is included.

The key word here is interest. Cause there isn't anything here you can't get with a library card and a small amount of critical thinking. Which brings us back to interest. Which I venture is higher in hero worship and interaction than musical growth.

And you want him to teach you style.....

samsonstick wrote:
Have you ever watched Steve play and are just mesmerized by the fluidity of his playing? It's like watching a magic trick. You always want to know how it's done. What if you could talk with the magician and learn the trade secrets from the source? Steve will demystify his style and show you, not only the how, but also the why.

I'm gonna save you some money and demystify this for you right now. The reason his playing is more fluid than yours is because he has played a helluva lot more than you have. You see, when you play something all the time over and over again, it gets easier. And generally speaking, when things get easier they tend to sound smoother and more fluid. Your welcome.

samsonstick wrote:
So, you're not walking away with a simple technique that will wow audiences. You're gaining the knowledge of how to dissect music, improvise while playing with others and learning the avenues for better song construction.

He apparently teaches hyperbole as well. And steve wouldn't know song construction if it fell from the sky and sat on his face. (sup Little Wing)

samsonstick wrote:
If you're on the fence about studying under Steve, go for it. I've been playing Stick for over 10 years and Steve has been challenging me to break down barriers and get out of the comfort rut I've worked myself into. I'm growing as a Stick player by having someone walk me through a new style and technique I have shied away from.

Translation: Lazy. You wanted someone to hold your hand cause you thought it would be easier than developing your own style and growing musically on your own.

samsonstick wrote:

-Samson

This pretty much sums it up.

Tritone

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tritone wrote:
samsonstick wrote:

Uh huh.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that! That response is probably the best I've ever heard! Kinda like proving something is true by putting a "DUH" at the end of a sentence. DUH!

samsonstick wrote:
This is how it works.

1. Contact Steve.

2. Set up a time.

3. Payment.

4. Open Skype.

That's it!

New revenue stream for steve. Surprised it took him this long. Must be slow on the real book circuit.

New revenue stream for anybody. It's a better way to make money with your hands than turning tricks behind a dumpster. (in case you didn't infer what I meant, I'm insinuating you're a whore)

samsonstick wrote:

The key word here is interest. Cause there isn't anything here you can't get with a library card and a small amount of critical thinking.

Well, of course it's interest. This is hardly a negation. You forgot to add "...with $.25 worth of late fees." Any more dialog from Good Will Hunting you want to quote? The difference is that, in the movie, he could actually stand up against the those he was refuting on their own ground. Not just making snide little comments.

Which brings us back to interest. Which I venture is higher in hero worship and interaction than musical growth.

And you want him to teach you style.....

I realize that the concept of looking up to someone is a foreign concept to some people. It can be mistaken as worship when it's not directed at you. But, I'm sure you worship yourself enough to not be in want.

Teach me style? Yes, as in the jazz style on the Stick. Steve is one of the best at this and also one of the most accessible. You could just read and go out on your own, but if you want to learn by leaps and bounds, direct interaction is the best method. For example, let's say I would like to learn the art of internet trolling douchebaggery. I could, on my own, read through all your past posts and what others have to say about you, or I could engage with you directly. See how that works?

samsonstick wrote:

I'm gonna save you some money and demystify this for you right now. The reason his playing is more fluid than yours is because he has played a helluva lot more than you have. You see, when you play something all the time over and over again, it gets easier. And generally speaking, when things get easier they tend to sound smoother and more fluid. Your welcome.

I think you're confused. Take the song Greensleeves (or any song) and try to post a video of you learning it. I'll watch you progress and if you're right I'll concede that you are right on this point. Your lack of response in a video format will be an admission of error on your part.

Notice how I used the words your and you're? While you are (you're) at the library pick up your own copy of a basic grammar book. Because it's not my welcome. I don't posses a welcome.

samsonstick wrote:

He apparently teaches hyperbole as well. And steve wouldn't know song construction if it fell from the sky and sat on his face. (sup Little Wing)

If you haven't studied with Steve, you wouldn't know what he teaches. I suppose you would think that the way you write a song is by having an anus on your face while outside. I guess my dumpster scenario was closer to reality than I thought. (in case you missed it, I'm making another reference to you being a back alley whore)

samsonstick wrote:

Translation: Lazy. You wanted someone to hold your hand cause you thought it would be easier than developing your own style and growing musically on your own.

Let me re-translate this with my douce bag driver installed: Learning different styles of music makes me soil myself. Therefore, I will refuse to learn anything about music and force myself to "find my own style", which just means I suck, (not a whore reference but could be taken as one) and anyone who I see trying to better themselves in any way that I disapprove of I will try to discourage rather than encourage them because I can't find the merit in different musical disciplines. Mommy didn't hug me enough.

samsonstick wrote:

-Samson

This pretty much sums it up.

Yup. That's why it's a concluding sentence.

Tritone

You even spelled Ass-Clown wrong when signing off in this post.

http://www.samsonstick.com

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Well I thought I should win the award for most predictable and boring member of this forum, but that honor clearly belongs to tritone. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Same old song and dance. Mediocre players desperately clinging to self denial and defensiveness. How often does steve change your musical diaper? Maybe one day you'll be big enough that you can go all on your own.

But hey, maybe it's me. I think I've figured it out though. My problem is that I'm looking for artists. Yet I'm surrounded by organ grinders. Bad ones at that. But you....you aspire to be a COPY of an organ grinder. Really??? How low are your aspirations and expectations as a thinking human being that being a bad copy of a bad copy brings you fulfillment? Man, that's just fucking disheartening. Oh well. The search continues.

Oh. And the attempted ridicule from the grammer police when you can't spell dialogue or explain what "the those" is, well, that's pretty much the definition of ironee...........fuck!

Tritone

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I see that you are still right here, Tritone. You are one seriously lonely guy.
Sean Rhys Stirling

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:
Well I thought I should win the award for most predictable and boring member of this forum, but that honor clearly belongs to tritone. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No matter how many students you have. No matter have many books or cd's you sell. No matter how many dvd's you sell. No matter how many crappy bookstores or coffeehouses you play. You will never be the musical equal of ANY of the old guard stick players. You are the proverbial last man picked for the team. Can you feel the derision when your back is turned?

Tritone

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tritone wrote:
greg wrote:

No matter how many students you have. No matter have many books or cd's you sell. No matter how many dvd's you sell. No matter how many crappy bookstores or coffeehouses you play. You will never be the musical equal of ANY of the old guard stick players. You are the proverbial last man picked for the team. Can you feel the derision when your back is turned?

Tritone
Well that settles it. I MUST be tritone! ;)

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ah now we reach the tritone dilemma. He is smart, he has opinions, however he cannot back up what he says at the risk of revelation.

For instance. I think Greg is a GREAT artist his cd's are some of my favorite ever made. It's a bit strange for me to say that, he is a friend, and a teacher of mine....so it seems like i'm brown nosing or worshiping my hero....But I'm not.

I agree with your search for artistry tritone. In my opinion Greg is the Real deal. For me the greatest Stick artist ever...... Yes Bob C is the technique master but Greg is the composer/artist.

That just MY opinion. Here's your dilemma......what are some of you fav artists? why are they artists? and not Greg or Steve? Can you give examples?................. No you can't. because that would give clues to who you are, and would open up your opinions to contention.

So here is my challenge to you I will pick an artist who plays stick, you pick a non/stick artist and we will debate why one is artistic and the other may not be.

Are you willing Tritone?

Oh and Samson, keep on expressing your opinions even if they praise Steve or Greg.

Without the real appreciation of Stick players, we have a much less valuable tool.

There has been some great music made on the stick by REAL artists regardless of what Tritone says.

I have always been a supporter of outside points of view.

I bet tritone won't take my challenge

Brett

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I guess I'll help you out a little with your more than obvious isolated life, Tritone. Here's another post for you to look at.

Have I missed something from you? Have you ever posted any recording of your own musical ability? Do you enjoy constructive criticism or just the obvious derision you attract? That last post of yours was a very weak attempt to put down a remarkable fellow.

Read on, Tritone: I was once given some extremely valuable advice from a mentor at one of the Conservatories I attended while continuing my studies as a pianist. You might even make a buck or two from it or find something else valuable after you have done it - I profited from it immensely both in knowledge and income.

It was basically - If you do not like a particular musician, then find out more about that person.
Sean Rhys Stirling

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery