It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

retrofit 

Post retrofit
Anyone here had a truss rod retrofit lately? If so can you give me an idea how much it was? Just a ballpark figure is fine. Thanks.

Josh

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: retrofit
Well, it really depends on just exactly what you have done and the model you have. I had absolutely everything done, including a brand new Stickup. The best thing to do is just call them up and ask. The procedure is that you send your Stick to them. Emmett and Grace will look it over very carefully and then call you back with a very detailed quote. The quote will include everything they could do to make your Stick as good as it can be. You then pick and choose what you want done and then do they do it. If you decide that you don't want anything done they ship it back to you and I don't believe there's a charge for the estimate.

SE is really wonderful to work with on the phone. The turn-around time for a retrofit is just a few weeks which is almost tolerable! That's my retrofit article up on the SE web site and I am a very satisfied customer. I have also ordered a new 12-string and I did consider selling my new/old 10-string once the new comes. But, after playing it for a few minutes this baby is mine forever!

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

So what was the price on the truss rod?

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

wise2178 wrote:
So what was the price on the truss rod?

I don't remember because I did everything. My closest guess is under $200. It was a year ago and I don't know what current prices are.

What kind of Stick do you have? How old is it?

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Not mine yet. Guy wants to sell a polycarb 10 to me. Made in 86. Haventt decided if I want it yet. If I do I'll have to get a truss in it. So wanted to find out how much others have paid.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Call S.E, ask them a straight question and they will give you a straight answer. Once you have a quote for the truss rod I suggest you to make provisions for a few extra $; the instrument has more than 20 years and even with tender care, it must show a few sign of age. I think that Emmet is a perfectionist and is proud of everything that leaves his shop so he will find a few other areas of improvement on an old poly. The setup is crucial on a stick so trust The Man and go for the fixes he will suggest; I think you won't regret it, I love the deep sound of the bass strings on a poly with a stickup, yummy.....

Cheers, arsacane.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:50 am
Contributor
Contributor

arsacane wrote:
Call S.E, ask them a straight question and they will give you a straight answer. Once you have a quote for the truss rod I suggest you to make provisions for a few extra $; the instrument has more than 20 years and even with tender care, it must show a few sign of age. I think that Emmet is a perfectionist and is proud of everything that leaves his shop so he will find a few other areas of improvement on an old poly. The setup is crucial on a stick so trust The Man and go for the fixes he will suggest; I think you won't regret it, I love the deep sound of the bass strings on a poly with a stickup, yummy.....

Cheers, arsacane.

Once again someone asks a simple question and gets a long winded, condescending post that answers nothing. I love how you assume he's some noob that knows nothing about the stick or it's functions. Cause it couldn't possibly be the case that he knows how to set up a stick but just wanted to know how much others have paid for a truss install BEFORE HE DECIDED TO BUY THE STICK. :roll:

His question was simple. "If you've had a truss installed, how much did it cost you?" If you have, then tell him. If you havent, then move along.

Josh, I've never needed a truss retro but my best guess would probably be 200-300 dollars. I could be wrong though. Hopefully others that have will chime in and give you an answer. Instead of condescension. Good luck to you.

Tritone

Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:03 pm

lol. no worries. depending on the price of the retrofit it may not be worth it to buy the poly which is why i was curious as to what others paid. and se usually doesnt do hard quotes until they have the stick in their hands which obviously i don't have yet. so like i said if any have had it done let me know ballpark what you paid. gracias.

Josh

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

tritone wrote:
His question was simple. "If you've had a truss installed, how much did it cost you?" If you have, then tell him. If you havent, then move along.

Josh, I've never needed a truss retro but my best guess would probably be 200-300 dollars. I could be wrong though. Hopefully others that have will chime in and give you an answer. Instead of condescension. Good luck to you.

Is this a case of 'do as I say, not as I do'? ;-)
(sorry for noising-up your thread, Josh)

ps - you can't be a n00b...you've had a thread diminished by tritone 8-)

Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tritone wrote:

Tritone

Tritone, since you have never needed a truss retro, shouldn't you be the first one to move along?

I had a truss retro on my old 1979 ironwood Stick in 2002. It cost me 180 dollars.

Olivier

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery