It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm

Writing music 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Writing music
Hey Stickist.
I'm in a bit of a rut. I practice stick anywhere from 4-6 hours a day, working on almost everything I need to from scales to 2 hand independence, and learning tunes, but I just can't seem to compose anything that doesn't make me want to barf. All thats coming out is something I've heard before, or its just plain awful? Has this happened to you? What can I do?

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Writing music
Take a break?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:08 am

Yes maybe take a break...
Maybe you work too intensely, this might cut off your inspiration somehow.

When this occurs I spend time tweaking my multifx and try to find new sounds to explore.
This might renew your inspiration: this little trick has a positive effect on mine, anyway.

"I have nothing to say and that's what I am saying" (John Cage)

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Man, I wish I had that many hours spare each day for Sticking! :)

How about dropping an hour off your formal practice and spend the time playing random notes, chords, shapes, arpeggios and rhythmic patterns and feeling your way around the instrument? Just start with a few notes on one hand and progessively add more, alter, shift, repeat. You can try every weird hand position that comes to mind, every weird arpeggio that your fingers can manage and then every internal/external fret-shift on top of that. If you find weird and dissonant tones, milk them and bend them until they are useful. :)

I can't decide whether to call it "Crazy Time" or Random Acts of Discovery (RAD)...

EG

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Take a break!

I can't it's in my blood, I'm infected, I can't get enough! Will I need shots? Is it terminal?

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Do Not take a break. Practicing is the only thing that will take your Stick prowess to new heights.
For your creative rut:
1-Try linking a few new chord voicings, either one or two handed. The new found harmony could suggest where to continue.

2-Melodically, play phrases restricted to a number of notes. Say you play 4 note phrases, but you can vary the intervals and rhythms.

3-Play chords or rhythms with one or two hands in a designated rhythmic statement. (i.e. "Shave and a Haircut")

These may seem artificial but they could jump start your writing process.
They are thematic. Once you have an idea or motif, the composing should progress. It's like life's dialogue. Pick a topic, start chatting and listen as the script unfolds. Kinda' like this thread.

Steve A

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

You could try a new stimulus:
http://www.amazon.com/Guitarists-Guide- ... 0634016350

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Try playing along with the radio. Select a station that plays tunes that you are unfamiliar with. This can force you into a different musical space and lead to new approaches. Good luck.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Steve

Kenny Werner has some great ideas about this in his book "Effortless Mastery".
In short he recommends sitting down with a piece of manuscript paper and just writing down a few notes and rhythms. Then just work from there trying to build musically around them. slowly develop themes and motifs, harmony etc. This is a great exercise whether your in a rut or not. As Werner says you will often come up with something really interesting and different and if you don't it was a fun exercise on its own. You can also do this with modern recording, just record a few random notes and then try to build off of them. try not to create a masterpiece just write as an exercise like you would practice your playing skills. let go of your ego and just let your creativity show. this is what a lot of the book is about you have to "not care" about your writing and playing in order to really reach the "zone" in which you are truly creative.

I highly recommend the book

http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Master ... 451&sr=8-2

Brett

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm a beginner too so I'm not sure I can contribute much here. But, when I'm in a rut I transcribe music from classical and folk music. Trying to work out the voicings of a simple piano piece makes me learn the fretboard and stretch my fingers into new shapes. I am discovering new sounds and chords this way. Seems to get the juices flowing.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery