It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

Carrying on... 

Post Carrying on...
I have to bring my stick on an airplane flight which either means bringing a hard case for baggage or soft case for carry-on....

Anyone had any experience checking in a grand stick? Does it fit the size for carry on?

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Carrying on...
cguerin wrote:
I have to bring my stick on an airplane flight which either means bringing a hard case for baggage or soft case for carry-on....

Anyone had any experience checking in a grand stick? Does it fit the size for carry on?

What a shame ... before the original forum server had a melt down there were several threads on the subject. I'd expect because of the length the airline may want it stored as baggage but you never know. Good luck!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wondering the same. I'll be flying to Spain next month so it would be great to know.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have flown with my Grand Stick in a gig bag in the overhead compartment. This was pre-9/11 though and I haven't flown with my instrument since then. It will definitely fit. The only question now is whether or not they'll let you carry it on the plane.

Glenn

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there: I did the research some time ago, and after much recommendation from stickist.com I chose to bring it with me as a carry on. I did not have a soft case or flight-case, I just had the hard-wood case. I got a bass soft-carry on case, and I put the Stick on it. I used one of these baggage belts to "round" the bag around it and off I went to South America and back with no problems. I carried it in my back.

If you attempt to go with a hard-wood case, it is probable that they will push you to send it with your baggage. I sold that Stick since, and it got damaged in the trip to its new owner, so I would totally discourage you to send the instrument in anything other than its reinforced hard-flight-case.

In all cases, bringing it with you as a carry on will be the best choice. If you get in a small regional airplane, be sure you smile at the air-hostess so she/he let you use their baggage compartment for your instrument.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:35 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That's a tricky one... I've travelled extensively with the Stick in the gig bag, but I've been very close to either send the Stick in the gig bag with the luggage or stay in Paris (not the worst place to be stranded, but eventually they let me bring the Stick on board with me). A friend of mine had to remove the strings from the guitar, and in general it's a hit or miss situation, mostly up to the check-in and cabin crew.
After the problem in Paris that I've only used a flight case, but it also presents drawbacks as it's oversize and will have to be sent separately from normal baggage. It has happened that my Stick was lost... it was found and brought to me, and I was returning home so no gig trouble, but still it was NOT fun!

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello
I bought my 12 string grand in October from Stick enterprises at the time I also opted for the fitted SKB hardcase - I had Stick Enterprises ship the stick in the case to Chicago where I picked it up I checked the stick in it's case into the hold of a 747 bound for Birmingham UK via Amsterdam - Any problems ? None what so ever it was treated as oversized baggage and seperated from other baggage. The only thing I have had to do is adjust the truss rod and that was after a couple of weeks - but different country different climate you would expect this.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:32 am