It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Band or Solo? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Band or Solo?
Hi Steve great post

I came to stick from a sort of upright burnout as well. I now find playing the bass very rewarding, though i prefer to play classical music on it or just use it on a tune or 2 during a jazz gig I just love the stick so much that it's hard not to play it. Of course the solo thing really makes the stick amazing. I would say that I gig about 75% ensemble and 25% solo. though. its more a matter of what gigs i can get than a preference. the nice thing about ensemble playing is in the interplay and arranging.

Brett

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

It's an honor to have my name mentioned in this amazing thread. I thank you all for the inIspired words. I'd like to respond to JRJ who brought unusual focus to the subject.

"...roots in "an" archetype of self expression that has never existed before because the vehicle for that expression is new."

Yes, that's how I've felt about it since the moment I first discovered the playing technique on guitar. New instruments have the potential to create new music in the player's hands, but a new playing method takes that newness to a higher level. I felt like I was pouring myself into a new musical archetype, so I designed an instrument that would look, play and feel like the archetype. It could be Sagittarius the archer, half man and half horse, who sees his goal at a distance and hits the mark, but this metaphor might be selling short the musical values. Somehow, posture, gesture, and multiplicity (the orchestral entirety) make up the archetype.

"...there is a driving force, an inner motivation that comes from a fundamental desire that very much shapes things."

This is true. We find it readily enough in the expression of our personalities, which seems to come naturally for most. Some are lucky enough to find it in their occupation or "life's work". Ideally, the driving "inner motivation" should find expression through music that makes it as unique and powerful as the personality.

"...think it is almost like a "calling" like becoming a priest or a monk and playing solo
is just or i guess can be a deeper part of that calling."

As a kid in church I learned the concept of a "ministry", which is a more humble and mature way of saying "talent".

"It's like there is a mystical side to this idea of the "priesthood of the Stick" that I am making up and that has to do with trance and dare I say higher states of consciousness."

I do believe the practice of music and art can lead to those "higher states", which in turn benefit the mind and body, as well as those around you. As for presiding over a "priesthood", if I were choosing metaphors I'd rather be the coach, inspiring others to strive for excellence.

"if you find yourself playing the Stick for hrs and hrs over and over when ever you get
a chance; never getting bored. And when you are in this place this playing frenzy
it's like you are getting fed from some fountain that never stops giving."

I have to thankfully agree again. I never get bored, but I don't get to play nearly enough either. The archetype rises up once more - Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter, the "greater fortune", a fountain or a flame that never quits. Best, Emmett.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Emmett, I am glad that you enjoyed my post but if given the chance to briefly expand
on the priest or monk metaphor those references are coming more from Herman Hess'
"The Glass Bead game" than any association with contemporary religious belief.
Interestingly enough in this book the main character Joseph Knecht has a mentor
who is known as "The Music Master" who is very much like a coach but at the end
he (The Music Master) becomes enlightened and poor Joseph doesn't know what to do
with him.
Also one of the main themes is about the "Magister Ludi" which translates
as "master of the game". I have always seen The Stick Game Of Music article in
a Glass Bead Game context.

I admit the book is pretty deep and like the Stick not for everyone. If you
or anyone reading this has not read it this post may not make any sense at all. :)
But if you insert the Chapman Stick into the Glass Bead game it would fit more elegantly
as a lens or musical-instrument-like Rosetta stone for gleaning complex wisdom
through musical exploration that any instrument I can think of... What? the piano; way
to steeped in polite societies expectations. Perhaps Mccoy Tyner could fly it there
but it's too staid. Maybe the electric guitar? :| Even worse all of the baby boomers
romantic fantasies hold it to the ground. But the Stick lifts off easily and glides through the key hole; most folks won't even remember when they wake up.
As always best to you.
JRJ

P.S. I am sending two more of your long lost children in for some rest and recuperation.
Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glass_Bead_Game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:34 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wow! :D
When I opened this thread, I had an idea that the topic might veer into the realm of what I felt as a deeper calling. I can’t expound on loftier insights of why I feel this way as eloquently as JRJ and Emmett. Call it what you will, karma, destiny or even shear luck, but the invention of these instruments was, IMHO, way ahead of its time. All I know is that with the NS/Stick in my hands, I feel kind of an obligation to do great things and better still, I feel as if I can do great things. I sincerely believe, for myself anyway, that I wouldn’t have felt this if I restricted myself to the “band only” mentality. I guess, when it comes down to it, it really doesn’t matter if it’s the band or solo, it’s what you do with it. When the novelty has worn off and you still feel the call and can’t help pick up your Stick because you feel your music in your bones, and need to express it, You are a part of the Stick brotherhood. So, I thank you all for sharing your insights.

Burnis

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:11 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Bheardjr wrote:
Wow! :D
When I opened this thread, I had an idea that the topic might veer into the realm of what I felt as a deeper calling. I can’t expound on loftier insights of why I feel this way as eloquently as JRJ and Emmett. Call it what you will, karma, destiny or even shear luck, but the invention of these instruments was, IMHO, way ahead of its time. All I know is that with the NS/Stick in my hands, I feel kind of an obligation to do great things and better still, I feel as if I can do great things. I sincerely believe, for myself anyway, that I wouldn’t have felt this if I restricted myself to the “band only” mentality. I guess, when it comes down to it, it really doesn’t matter if it’s the band or solo, it’s what you do with it. When the novelty has worn off and you still feel the call and can’t help pick up your Stick because you feel your music in your bones, and need to express it, You are a part of the Stick brotherhood. So, I thank you all for sharing your insights.

Burnis

The way I express myself is not very eloquent I'm afraid, I hope the eloquent part of my personality comes out in my musical expression. I do believe that when you "become one" with a musical instrument it feels like "touching god" and when I listened to players like Victor Wooten, Jaco, Chick Corea, and players on that level I always think to myself that they have "touched god." So I can relate to "deeper calling" idea.

For me ... I've played a musical instrument since very early childhood. Drums, Bass, Guitar and keyboards all professionally at some time in my life, and honestly I was looking for something to ignite that excitement of discovery in me again. I was becoming bored and discontent as a musician. The Stick did that for me ... gave me that very much needed feeling of excitment and discovery! Since discovering the Stick and now the NS Stick I simply don't play bass guitars anymore, haven't touched my 6 string guitars or keyboards and only play drums to record tracks for the Stick and NS Stick based tunes I'm composing. I will never give up my other instruments altogether ... however at this point in my life my musical interest revolves around my Sticks. For me they are instruments that allow that "next level" of musical discovery to be explored. I couldn't see myself living without both my Stick and NS Stick. And thank god ... i don't have too! Thank you Emmett!! :)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

This is a great post and has gave me some insight to the walls I created through doubt and uninspired playing which can become is a vicious circle when left un-checked.
Thanks to all.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Its great to know that other people feel exactly like I do when it comes to Stick. It really is a calling!

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Greg wrote:
Playing as a soloist is about "being complete" and playing in a band is about "being part."
I thought that was a very complete sentiment, which many band memeber could do worse than read, so I repeated it!

Anyway, I am motivated to be a part in a band and this shows in the things I practice: Two handed basslines, metronome practice with repeating single notes between all pairs of (adjacent) fingers, transcribing/refingering classic basslines and comping basslines and chord voicing (accompanied by my battered copy of that fine publication: The Real Book!)

As with all things I'm sure my tastes and interests will go through many changes before I'm done tapping!

Last edited by Thor on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Well, I was asked to sit in with a band last night for a few songs with the NS/Stick and then do a solo bit. The crowd absolutely went dead when I started playing. It was like they had never seen anything like it before. I motioned for the drummer to come up and went into Pink Floyd's Money. The crowd got into it again and the bend joined in.

That's what I get for accepting a sit in and solo spot at a country bar. :arrow: move along :P

Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Wow!
Lots of perspective and motivation in this thread.

I was originally a guitarist , then an electric and upright bassist.

After playing these instruments for a period of years I began wishing I had a way to combine basslines with chords and melodies on one instrument.

Upon seeing my first Stick I knew that it was the obvious answer but I had no idea that it would open up such freedom.

As a band member playing Stick I am still holding down basslines but with the ability to chord in my right hand I can create tensions and textures that support a vocalist or soloist in ways I have never been able to.

As a soloist the Stick gives me multiple weapons. I can do a singer/ songwriter kind of vibe or do solo instrumental stuff.

I can play bass against melody or play a piece where the Stick becomes a HUGE full range guitar like sound.

Stick has allowed me to really expand my imagination so much of what I write is created with no instrument in hand.

I hope that I can one day perform the things I currently hear in my mind.

Kevin Keith
http://www.ejeband.com
http://www.kevinkeith.com
myspace.com/kevinkeith11

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery