It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Recommend a cd 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Recommend a cd
Ok I need some new stick music. Recommend something for me.

2 rules You can't recommend your own music, and....... No Greg Howard, Bob Culbertson, Emmett Chapman or Steve Adelson (I have all of their stuff).

Tell me why you like it.

Brett

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Recommend a cd
Liquid Tension Exp. Tony Levin. There is a lot of stick on it. It runs from Very heavy and fast to slower and more moody. There are two CD's and some live stuff.

I like it because it is pretty heavy and technical.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:36 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Either (but preferably both) of the first two CDs by Guillermo Cides, El Mundo Interior de los Planetas and/or Primitivo.

He plays like he's on fire. Lots of passion. Wonderful sonic qualities. Very unique compositions and playing style.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I was going to say Cides' Bach tribute CD. In addition to fine playing, there is some clever signal processing to imitate various instruments.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Steve Hahn, Sh...

I've had this disc for years and it continues to draw me in, surprise, and move me. Steve's compositions and playing are harmonically, melodically, texturally and emotionally compelling. His tone is quite pure and sparkling ( a bit of chorus, echo and a bit of rare distortion pop up in places) and the production seems to emphasize a natural acoustic space. This is a Stick tour de force augmented by Steve's tasteful (and Miles-inspired - the title is a reference to the In a Silent Way track) trumpet playing and sensitive, complimentary drumming by Matt Houston. I cannot describe the personal place this disc holds for me but I'm certain that anyone, Stick enthusiast or not, would find themselves returning to Sh... again and again.

http://www.deepchocolate.com/sh_bklt.htm

Eric

Bamboo #6277
Polycarb #2267

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Eric W wrote:
Steve Hahn, Sh...

I've had this disc for years and it continues to draw me in, surprise, and move me. Steve's compositions and playing are harmonically, melodically, texturally and emotionally compelling. His tone is quite pure and sparkling ( a bit of chorus, echo and a bit of rare distortion pop up in places) and the production seems to emphasize a natural acoustic space. This is a Stick tour de force augmented by Steve's tasteful (and Miles-inspired - the title is a reference to the In a Silent Way track) trumpet playing and sensitive, complimentary drumming by Matt Houston. I cannot describe the personal place this disc holds for me but I'm certain that anyone, Stick enthusiast or not, would find themselves returning to Sh... again and again.

http://www.deepchocolate.com/sh_bklt.htm

Eric
There are so many good records, I will stick with lesser discussed but brilliant titles:

+1 for sh. A jazz vibe, but not a "jazz" record. Perhaps the best use of CD dynamics I've heard involving electric instruments. Along these lines, I also like Pascal Gutman's Ed Rehm, and one of my favorites, Vince Warren's Sweet Toof, just a guy playin' and singin' the blues.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pascal Gutman's "Cascades", the two first from Guillermo Cides, Jim Lampi and Mathias Sorof.
And I would like listen to some recordings from Pascal Glanville, he may have some interesting things to offer!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I really like the "Stickistas" compilation CD from the Stickcenter. The overall sound is distinctly "latin", but not in a traditional sense, and the album features players from near beginners to seasoned pros like Cides himself. There are also 3-4 tracks from SB8 players, which is something we don't hear enough of.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Also Larry Tuttle's "Through the gates". Larry seems to fly under the radar a bit, but he's quite possibly got the best time/feel I've heard on solo Stick, and a great, clean Stick sound.

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Leo Gosselin "Border Crossing", (not heard the later ones but want to...), Marco Cerletti "Random and Providence" and the classical ones by Andre Pelat (the titles of which I can't recall right now)...

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 pm