It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 am

Troubleshooting some weirdness 

Post Troubleshooting some weirdness
I recently switched back to Standard tuning (10 string) with brand new strings and I'm having some problems tracking down a setup issue. I've changed tunings and string gauges several times and I'm familiar with how a properly setup Stick show sound/play.

1) The 6th and 7th strings (G & C) are playing at "1/2 volume" on the first fret ie: I tap at fret one and get a beautiful clean note, normal sustain, no buzz, but it is at about 1/2 the volume of fret two. This only happens on these 2 strings.

2) The overall action on the first 5 frets of these strings feels off. Almost like I'm having to beat the crap out of the string the get the notes to sound. Action feels right but it's just not giving me the usual punch.

3) I had to replace a broken slide block on the 6th string (ID10T error) and I marked the position of the old block (before my last tuning experiment) so I'm reasonably sure I've got it in it's old location.

My stick has Flaps, Rails, and the adjustable bridge.

Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Troubleshooting some weirdness
frankenkat wrote:
I recently switched back to Standard tuning (10 string) with brand new strings and I'm having some problems tracking down a setup issue. I've changed tunings and string gauges several times and I'm familiar with how a properly setup Stick show sound/play.

1) The 6th and 7th strings (G & C) are playing at "1/2 volume" on the first fret ie: I tap at fret one and get a beautiful clean note, normal sustain, no buzz, but it is at about 1/2 the volume of fret two. This only happens on these 2 strings.

2) The overall action on the first 5 frets of these strings feels off. Almost like I'm having to beat the crap out of the string the get the notes to sound. Action feels right but it's just not giving me the usual punch.

3) I had to replace a broken slide block on the 6th string (ID10T error) and I marked the position of the old block (before my last tuning experiment) so I'm reasonably sure I've got it in it's old location.

My stick has Flaps, Rails, and the adjustable bridge.
Hi Frank,
A little more info would be helpful. What was the last set of strings you hand on there (tuning and gauge)? Are the strings from SE or from somewhere else?

Once I know these details I can probably help you.

Fri May 14, 2010 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

What was the last set of strings you hand on there (tuning and gauge)?

Medium gauge Stings from SE. Baritone Melody Tuning. I stocked up on strings a few years ago so the old set was new but was probably from '05 or '06. I rolled the bass side over to a straight 4th tuning as an experiment about 2 months ago, but I reset the bridge screws, slide blocks, and flap back to their original positions (I marked the positions and took serious measurements before anything was moved) and put the old strings back on (I was missing the inverted 5th too much, but that's another story). Action was fine everything sounded great, intonation was on. The problem I'm having now wasn't there. After a few days of playing I decided to go ahead and order a new set of strings. This is when my issue popped up.

Are the strings from SE or from somewhere else?
They are a brand new set of Medium gauge Standard Tuning from SE
I noticed that the new 6th string is a different gauge and the end of the string that goes over the bridge saddle is thicker (the old string went down to what looks like the core wire and the new string is wrapped all the way to the ball)

The intonation on the new 6th string was off (flat) so i slid the slide block up a little and got it back in, but the problem I'm having was there from when I put the string on.
???

Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 am

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All that was needed was to make a miniscule (Less than 1/16th of a turn) adjustment to one of the allen screws on the bass side FLAP to raise the 6th string a hair. This nailed it and even eliminated the small fret buzz I couldn't get rid of. To test this I was able to replicate the problem on strings 9 & 10 by moving the Flap screw on that side. While I was at it I was able to get the action on the melody side a bit lower.
I'm thinking the difference in thickness between the old 6th string and the new one was enough to create this issue. I was thinking I read here somewhere that the string gauges on the mediums changed in the last few years.

Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am
Contributor
Contributor

frankenkat wrote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All that was needed was to make a miniscule (Less than 1/16th of a turn) adjustment to one of the allen screws on the bass side FLAP to raise the 6th string a hair. This nailed it and even eliminated the small fret buzz I couldn't get rid of. To test this I was able to replicate the problem on strings 9 & 10 by moving the Flap screw on that side. While I was at it I was able to get the action on the melody side a bit lower.
I'm thinking the difference in thickness between the old 6th string and the new one was enough to create this issue. I was thinking I read here somewhere that the string gauges on the mediums changed in the last few years.

Thanks for posting.My New Bamboo is changing in the Va Humidity-first Truss adjust today-might need a Flap Tweak-had screws on the old one so I need to study the Flaps.
Mike

Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 am

After a few days of playing, I'm really loving my 'reset' Stick. I forget to do the routine maintenance sometimes, and since I'm usually the only Stick player around I don't tend to pick up another Stick to remind myself to check my own setup. Gotta put that on the calendar as a regular thing.

Sun May 16, 2010 11:05 am