It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:23 pm

SB8 on eBay 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post SB8 on eBay
What do you think about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2

The seller says it's less than a year old, but it looks like rust on the bridge screws. Would that be a concern to you?

Thanks,
Rich

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:54 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: SB8 on eBay
I've had guitars for less than a year that get rust on some metal parts. Its not that big of a deal on them. At least for me, anyway.

And if it were a big deal, how much would SE really charge for 8 little screws if you needed new ones?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's not just the rust itself, but rust on an instrument less than a year old points towards neglect or just a lack of proper care. I think I'll let that auction ride. Maybe if there were better pictures or it had a return policy other than "No returns accepted".

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Not necessarily. I suppose on a stick, where there's no hand contact with the bridge on a regular basis, that may be the case. However, some people just have corrosive sweat. I've managed to rust the bridge side of the OFR on my main guitar. I care for it properly, keep it set up, etc. Its only two years old. It just gets played A LOT.

That, and, considering how willing SE is to serve their customers (even second hand purchased instruments), i wouldnt feel that bad about bidding on it. Then again, its your money, not mine :lol:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ick. Corrosive sweat. Now I really want it. ;)

I guess what's setting off the bells and whistles is the blurry pics. Maybe they aren't the best photographer. The lack of detailed description. It's "Used". The lack of any detail in the email response to the question I asked. Any one of these would be okay, but combine them and it looks like they're trying to hide something about the condition. So since I can't physically check it out before buying, my gut tells me to pass.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

That serial number could very well be around a year old. My Stick is almost three years old and looks the same way that it looked the day I received it, perfect.

Maybe its just me but the price seems high, even if you can get new screws. You shouldn't have to for two grand....

Steveoh-OH

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Where you live has a big effect on rusted components. I'm in central Texas, which is brutally hot and REALLY humid. My Alto developed rust on parts of the bridge within the first three months! I take care of my Sticks and they're in the case when not being played (which isn't very often), but the weather had its way. So anyhoo, the owner of the SB8 may not be to blame.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've been watching it on eBay and the price went down to $1999 and it's now up to $2200. I guess they included free shipping. Something just strikes me as odd about the auction. Maybe I'm just too skeptical.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

200$ worth of shipping? Better be there same day :lol:

Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 pm

What do you want me to say...
It's a SB8 !
and play's like a SB8 !

the $2,200 was someone offer me that, and ship it to Europe.
he back out; do to, the custom fee one has to pay, differant countries differant fee's. i know this, becuase i lived outside of the U.S.A. for many years.

on the otherhand,
if you have a Question, one can call me...?
my # is on the Ebay page.
I have the SB8 , ready to ship, with strings loosen, for no "stress" on the instrment, for climate change. It get's Very hot and humid in AL.
lavoncalhoun.com

Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 am