It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:08 am

Poll? Does prior experience on a different instrument make i 

Does past experience on an instrument help in learning the Stick?
Poll ended at Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:04 am
yes 95%  95%  [ 19 ]
no 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll? Does prior experience on a different instrument make i 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Poll? Does prior experience on a different instrument make i
I was on Stickwire and one of the members was "talking" about Zen and their belief that being able to approach the Stick with "The Beginners Mind" might be better then coming to the instrument from another instrument. This probably over simplifies the point he was making but the idea was he seems to believe that coming to a new instrument like the Stick with NO prior musical background on a different instrument, with no preset ideas or expectations is perhaps better then coming to it from Bass guitar / Guitar / Keys, etc.

Personally I think the idea of "The Beginners Mind" makes a lot of sense however I believe having a bass/guitar/keyboard/drum background didn't really hurt me. Especially having a bass / guitar back ground I was able to learn the right hand melody strings very quickly. Then again I think in the inverted 5ths bass the "beginners mind" could have been a plus.

So for me ... Prior experence helped me with the right hand and may have made it harder for me with the left. Still I voted Yes. What do you think?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Poll? Does prior experience on a different instrument make i
I can't believe that it is easier with no musical experience. I think that all instruments become easier if you play something else first. You get the right mindset and your fingers get an element of coordination. We all love the stick, but it isn't magic, it's just another instrument.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If 'Beginners Mind' means that you approach the stick as a new instrument and not as a bass+ / guitar+ / stringed keyboard / whatever combination, I agree.
But any other instrument experience will help with rhythm, harmony, music theory, reading and ear training, so it is an advantage for me.

People comming from different backgrounds might apply or 'transpose' techniques / ideas from other instruments to the stick enriching its vocabulary (T.Lev 2 handed bass lines, Bob C. 2 region arpegios etc)

Cheers, Daniel

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:43 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

twizzle wrote:
I can't believe that it is easier with no musical experience. I think that all instruments become easier if you play something else first. You get the right mindset and your fingers get an element of coordination. We all love the stick, but it isn't magic, it's just another instrument.

Actually I think there IS magic in the Stick, in inverted 5ths tuning. ;) I think the "beginners mind" idea does have it's merits even though I started the poll and voted that I believe experience helps. I came to the Stick as an experienced musician. I think I perhaps had a harder time accepting the idea of the inverted 5ths bass set up because of my "normal" accending 4ths mind set. If I had NO mind set maybe I wouldn't have FOUGHT the concept as much? And I DID fight it. I went as far as tuning my Stick as an SB10 before deciding I had lost something beautiful by getting rid of the inverted 5ths bass. If i had "a beginners mind" I wouldn't have known the difference and would have simply accepted the inverted 5ths bass tuning.

Soooooo I vote experience helps but see value in having a FRESH outlook, a beginners mind.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Previous musical knowledge:

Yep, it helps a lot. If you try to take that knowledge and frame it into Stick-playing.
You are trying to work out your inner music, perhaps you already have your voice.
That way you are using the Stick to your advantage, and everything comes more naturally, since you kind of figure out what you need to express yourself.

Coming from a different instrument:

The other edge of the blade.
It might hinder you if, as previously said, you simply try to translate things verbatim into your Stick Playing.
It always works to your detriment and you never fully realise your potential, IMHO.
I agree with what as been said, and that Stick is just another way to convey that music you hear on your head.

Coming from a sort of multi-instrumentalist background, I know it helped me.
While I may be locked inside boxes at times, my hands are much more loose and I feel like I don't have to exert myself so much to apply certain concepts/exercises/etc.

I also have to change my playing mode to polyphonic, bass has ruined me! :p

P.S. This colours thingie is pretty cool :p

Skype Me™!

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

locks wrote:
Previous musical knowledge:

Yep, it helps a lot. If you try to take that knowledge and frame it into Stick-playing.
You are trying to work out your inner music, perhaps you already have your voice.
That way you are using the Stick to your advantage, and everything comes more naturally, since you kind of figure out what you need to express yourself.

Coming from a different instrument:

The other edge of the blade.
It might hinder you if, as previously said, you simply try to translate things verbatim into your Stick Playing.
It always works to your detriment and you never fully realise your potential, IMHO.
I agree with what as been said, and that Stick is just another way to convey that music you hear on your head.

Coming from a sort of multi-instrumentalist background, I know it helped me.
While I may be locked inside boxes at times, my hands are much more loose and I feel like I don't have to exert myself so much to apply certain concepts/exercises/etc.

I also have to change my playing mode to polyphonic, bass has ruined me! :p

P.S. This colours thingie is pretty cool :p

I'll have to start another poll ... color thingie VS no color thingie! ;) ...... Just kidding! :lol:

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

88persuader wrote:
I'll have to start another poll ... color thingie VS no color thingie! ;) ...... Just kidding! :lol:

Hey hey, don't highjack the thread! ;)
And tell me you didn't enjoy reading that gradient post!

Seriously now, a bit of colour here and there really improve readability after going through two or three forums and my whole set of feeds!

Skype Me™!

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 am

I'll let you know in June.... ;)

Since Beginner's Mind is - it is said - an achievable state for any aspirant, I'm hopeful that I can approach the instrument in that way in spite of my years of experience.

#5547 Padauk grand, M.R., Stickup

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:52 am
Contributor
Contributor

I'm gonna go with no on this one. I've been really struggling to shake the bassist and guitarist mentality, and have a Stick mentality. On contrare, my girlfriend who hasn't played any instrument since 6th grade clarinet, picked up the Stick and learned some things really quickly.

I think if you have a blank slate, you don't have to shake the mentality a lot of us have. IMHO.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:33 am
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe everyone should learn piano while they wait for the Stick to arrive.
It opens up a lot of new perspectives -- poliphony, arrangements, chords, -- and it seems more adaptive to the new Stick environment.

The familiarity with a fretboard for guitarrists/bassists is what makes it so hard to shake off the mentality, it seems.
You just stare at the frets "well, I know this" and you're instantly trapped!

Break out of the box!

Skype Me™!

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 am