It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 am

Stereo output question 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Stereo output question
The stick I'm going to be getting is a ironwood one from the mid80s. I've seen some modern pickups that have the option to flip a mini-toggle and switch between stereo out and mono out. Is there a quick easy way to do this with the older stickups?

Conversely, is it possible to retrofit a new pickup block in the older sticks?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:31 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stereo output question
metalken wrote:
The stick I'm going to be getting is a ironwood one from the mid80s. I've seen some modern pickups that have the option to flip a mini-toggle and switch between stereo out and mono out. Is there a quick easy way to do this with the older stickups?

Stick-up pickups are TRS output so usually the cord is TRS output into dual mono outputs. The easy cheap way to put them into one output so you can plug into a mono amp (like a bass or guitar amp) is to use a "Y" dual mono into single mono patch cord. OR plug the output of the Stick into a small CHEAP multi channel sound board then into the amp. Stick-up pickups unfortunately don't have the stereo/mono switch the block pickups have.

In regard to retrofitting to a Block, the channel needs to be widened but Stick enterprises can do that for you for a reasonable fee if you send the Stick to them. And keep in mind many players like the Stick-up MORE than the blocks. It has the classic "Stick sound" so think twice before changing the pickup. AND since your Stick is an iron wood from the 80s it's probably a good idea to send it to SE for upgrading anyway. At the very least I'd recommend getting an adjustable truss rod so you can keep the action dead low and even. Sooooooo a lot to consider but in regard to simply playing it as it is into a mono amp the "Y" patch cord is the cheapest way out.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Regarding updated the stick by sending it to SE, does that usually take a while? And will they be able do things such as adding adjustable saddles?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
Stick-up pickups are TRS output so usually the cord is TRS output into dual mono outputs. The easy cheap way to put them into one output so you can plug into a mono amp (like a bass or guitar amp) is to use a "Y" dual mono into single mono patch cord.

I can't really recommend that, because it will change the sound of the Stick - the two channels will influence each other and will sound a little dull. Also if you turn down one side completely, it will mute both sides of your Stick. It's OK as a temporary or emergency solution, but will not make you happy sound-wise.

88persuader wrote:
OR plug the output of the Stick into a small CHEAP multi channel sound board then into the amp.

I have had good experiences with a Boss Line Selector used as a two channel mixer for that application. Of course, the StepAbout is the ideal solution, but a little more expensive... ;)

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

nashorn wrote:
88persuader wrote:
Stick-up pickups are TRS output so usually the cord is TRS output into dual mono outputs. The easy cheap way to put them into one output so you can plug into a mono amp (like a bass or guitar amp) is to use a "Y" dual mono into single mono patch cord.

I can't really recommend that, because it will change the sound of the Stick - the two channels will influence each other and will sound a little dull. Also if you turn down one side completely, it will mute both sides of your Stick. It's OK as a temporary or emergency solution, but will not make you happy sound-wise.

88persuader wrote:
OR plug the output of the Stick into a small CHEAP multi channel sound board then into the amp.

I have had good experiences with a Boss Line Selector used as a two channel mixer for that application. Of course, the StepAbout is the ideal solution, but a little more expensive... ;)

I agree with your assessment of the drawbacks to using a "Y" cord. You really have to leave both sides of the pickup on full and the sound won't be quite the same (It won't stink IMO but i agree it's not as good sounding) BUTTTTT it does work until a better (more expensive) solution can be purchased.
Cheap small mixers are available with REVERB for around $100 and then there are 1000 different peddles that will do the job so there are a lot of work-able cheap ways to get around the fact that the Stickup is stereo only.

OH in regard to your questions about sending in the Stick to Stick Enterprises ... it will take "a little while" but most people,think it's time well spent because the Stick comes back playing like new. (or better) I don't know about adding the adjustable bridge to an Iron wood Stick. My advice is CALL Stick Enterprises. (Don't e-mail them, call them) Ask them all your questions directly! They are very knowledgeable and friendly people to deal with and speak with and you may even end up talking with Emmett himself! They'll tell you what they can and can't do, approximately how long it will take for the tune up and give you a good estimate on cost! Sooooo my advice is go straight to the source for questions regarding upgrading the Ironwood. Emmett likes when his older Sticks come home and visit him every now and then! :-) MIND YOU ... call them don't e-mail them. They are awesome on the phone but don't always reply quickly to e-mails.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have the Stickup on my Rosewood Grand and as others have said - the tone is magic.

Whatever you decide to use for combining the stereo signals keep an ear to the high frequencies. If you have an extra moment, plug "impedance matching audio" into Google. That will help you match your solution to your amplifier setup.
Sean Stirling

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
metalken wrote:

I installed a "mono" switch into my Stickup pickup but never use it because of the "tone suck", as someone eloquently put it here on the board, that occurs when you combine two passive pickups before they go through a preamp.

Best to get a cheap little stereo DI Driver, or stereo preamp, like a Presonus Blue Tube, then mono after the signal has been raised up to line level.

This is an issue for the Stickup mainly (since it's a passive pickup) and not for the block, since that's an active pickup with preamps already built into the pickups.

Good luck!

Randy

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

My main concern why I'd consider replacing the stickup for another pickup or stickup is (and was, in the case of my first stick), because the age of the instrument, sometimes there's more noise and crosstalk than I'd like, along with scratchy pots. If neither of those end up occurring with the one I'll be getting soon, i wont even give replacing it a second thought. Especially considering how everyone here is saying now that compressing the signal to mono sounds worse.

I have a Line6 Tone port with two inputs, so I'll just use that for the time being. I just figured a mono-out switch would be easier, and let me use a single amp for practice purposes. If it makes the tone bite it, then I'll deal with the inconvenience of an extra wire :lol:

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 am
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to replace the pickup you can just get a new stickup put in that wont have any of those old problems.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I have one more question. I realize its not really appropo in this thread, but its about the same stick, so why not?

I was considering using a different tuning on the stick i'll be getting. If thats the case, since i have the fixed bridge model, will the intonation be that screwed up if i, say, tune the bass side down, or tune to 4ths, etc? Like if i wanted to, say, Matched Reciprocal or inverted 4ths?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 pm