It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

tremolo tapping 

Post tremolo tapping
I was curious if one of you players out there could explain to me the technique of stick tremolo tapping. I understand how to do it with octaves, and I think I may have heard that Emmett himself plays a double finger on a single fret. Is that the main way of doing it? I once saw Nick beggs playing a Zeppelin tune, both John Paul and Pages parts, and even though he was playing both melody and bass (all fingers had one their own fret), there were notes that he hit that sounded like tremolo picking. Please fill me in on the knowledge and how to pick up speed with single fingers (tremolo).

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: tremolo tapping
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but your question sparked a chord...

Bob Culbertson's videos for guitar-like technique on Stick are simply outstanding:

Go here!

He discusses tremolo at about 2:17 in the above video.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: tremolo tapping
schizoidman wrote:
I was curious if one of you players out there could explain to me the technique of stick tremolo tapping. I understand how to do it with octaves, and I think I may have heard that Emmett himself plays a double finger on a single fret. Is that the main way of doing it? I once saw Nick beggs playing a Zeppelin tune, both John Paul and Pages parts, and even though he was playing both melody and bass (all fingers had one their own fret), there were notes that he hit that sounded like tremolo picking. Please fill me in on the knowledge and how to pick up speed with single fingers (tremolo).

Bob's video is great. If you have the strings available to double the notes on different strings what he shows is a great approach. If you need to do it on one string, here's my suggestion.

The best way to play repeated notes quickly is to shift the hand position slightly along the line of the string while you tap. This moves the fingers out of each others' way and lets you get to the sweet spot, just behind the fret, for each note. This results in a sound that's more like alternate picking.

This video has several instances in each hand where this technique is used:
http://www.stick.com/onlinevideos/bigbang.html

And if you have The Stick Book, Volume 1, there are warmup exercises on pages 2-1 and 2-2 that will help you build this skill.

Being able to play repeated notes rapidly and smoothly is a pretty important skill to develop, and it's one that is often ignored in more "position-based" approaches.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery