It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Online Stick Lessons/Instruction... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Online Stick Lessons/Instruction...
Wouldn't it be cool if we created what could eventually be a sizable collection of online Stick instructional video clips?

One little technique here and there could really add up. Nothing fancy would be required. Simply a explained demo of a technique or an exercise.

I am personally certainly not lacking in content for study right now, but I think this could be very valuable for the community at large.

It would also be neat if folks would make a little video demonstrating and inquiring about a little stuck point, perhaps hand positioning, technique, ect. That way others could respond with some instruction specific to someone else's challenge.

Wouldn't that be cool? To get it together all we need is two things really... folks with questions/challenges and folks with answers/potential solutions.

I would think we are probably not lacking in either.

-Curtis

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Online Stick Lessons/Instruction...
It would be nice ... there is a great shortage of qualified teachers on the Stick. The only issue I can see is fair conpensation for the instructors who would have to take the time to create the videos and instructional programs. It's not fair to ask them to "give away" the techniques they worked hard to learn and in many cases create.

Maybe a Stick instructional web site could be created and to get the lessons you must be a monthly dues paying member?

If it could be worked out I think it would be a wonderful resourse. But again I don't expect a person like Greg or Steve (to name a few) to give away all their time and hard earned knowledge. I think they're already very generous with their free advice and tips. Plus the cost and time creating and operating a web site like that wouldn't be cheap.

I DO think a web site like that could be profitable thought. The majority of we Stick players only get lessons where we can SEE how something's done and ask questions if we can attend a Stick gathering. Personally I think many of us would be willing to pay to be ciber students.

Hummmm Food for thought. Opinions ... ?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I am a web developer and teacher of web development. I have been kicking this same idea around for a year now. I know how to create sites like this and I have been casually planning what it would look like and how to manage it. How do you all envision how this would work? What would be the process of giving online lessons and taking them? I know that there are sites like this for learning guitar, has anyone looked at those? I have a friend who takes online lessons. I'll get a tour from him and see how it works. This sounds like an idea whose time might be here. I know how to make it but I would need help to make it successful.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Last edited by EricTheGray on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Are you suggesting that this could be a way for Greg and Steve (to name two) could have some sort of revenue stream from their efforts? If so, I don't see a problem with it. One of the big disadvantages towards learning to play a Stick is the sparse distribution of teachers. The internet could fight that.

On the other hand, does Manny want to turn Stickist into a business?

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:57 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

fcoulter wrote:
Are you suggesting that this could be a way for Greg and Steve (to name two) could have some sort of revenue stream from their efforts? If so, I don't see a problem with it. One of the big disadvantages towards learning to play a Stick is the sparse distribution of teachers. The internet could fight that.

On the other hand, does Manny want to turn Stickist into a business?

I am suggesting that anyone who would teach using this method would be paid. It's great that Greg, Steve and others are part of this forum and help people out with suggestions and tips however I'm suggesting an internet teaching system for pay and hopefully for the teachers some profit. Possibly through paypal. A true GLOBAL CLASS ROOM for the teaching of the Stick. I think MANY forum members would sign up ... I would! And it would be a different site then Stickist.com ... something that doesn't exist right now. It could be lessons with Stick notation as well as videos showing the lessons OR for extra $$$ could even be live video group or one on one lessons via webcams. There are a ton of possibilities ... it's an untapped (excuse the pun) market right now and possibly a good business opprotunity. I don't think anyone will get rich but it might be worth while for the teacher if set up right and would be a definite help to new Stick players around the world.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

88persuader wrote:
It would be nice ... there is a great shortage of qualified teachers on the Stick. The only issue I can see is fair conpensation for the instructors who would have to take the time to create the videos and instructional programs. It's not fair to ask them to "give away" the techniques they worked hard to learn and in many cases create.

Maybe a Stick instructional web site could be created and to get the lessons you must be a monthly dues paying member?

If it could be worked out I think it would be a wonderful resourse. But again I don't expect a person like Greg or Steve (to name a few) to give away all their time and hard earned knowledge. I think they're already very generous with their free advice and tips. Plus the cost and time creating and operating a web site like that wouldn't be cheap.

I DO think a web site like that could be profitable thought. The majority of we Stick players only get lessons where we can SEE how something's done and ask questions if we can attend a Stick gathering. Personally I think many of us would be willing to pay to be ciber students.

Hummmm Food for thought. Opinions ... ?

Didn't realize mindless social chatter and small-talk went for advice and tips these days. The only person that can claim to have "created" anyhting here is Mr. BSharp himself. Anything else is just bluster and varying forms of self promotion.

A monthly fee based Stick site is just about the worst idea I can think of. Unless you think it's worth your money to see someone print up a simple 4ths exercise and throw a title on it.

You guys need to ease up on the hero worship. There are no systems or methods. The scales are there. The chords are there. And the notes are there. You got 12 of em. You can use them however you want. So grab you stick, put it on, turn on your IMAGINATION, and find your own way.

Preaching a method or system is just another form of self importance and turf guarding. And completely counterproductive to the reasons and ideas behind picking up any instrument, or exploring any artform.

tritone

Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:39 am

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the stickist forums, as you can probably see from my posts: 1 :(. But found stickist.com a while back when I became interested in stick playing after experimenting with touchstyle for year or so on guitar.

I personally feel that a lessons sub-forum would make a great addition to the forum, similar to the space we have on the paul clark forum at http://www.paul-clark.com/forum/index which is just a place for members to ask questions and get answers from each other on technique theory and gear. Although I seem to do a lot more answering than asking, I believe that its fine for things like that to be free as its hardly comprehensive, and is just sharing knowledge in an informal manner. Also having something as simple as that on here wouldn't exactly be a costly ordeal, but would give everyone a chance to find out about those areas of playing that have been giving them trouble. As a young guitar teacher myself I can see that even the best progressing students benefit from seeing someone else's slant on a topic.

I hope you'll think about this, and not just dismiss it as some one trying to catge help off of better players.

:)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:10 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thor wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the stickist forums, as you can probably see from my posts: 1 :(. But found stickist.com a while back when I became interested in stick playing after experimenting with touchstyle for year or so on guitar.

I personally feel that a lessons sub-forum would make a great addition to the forum, similar to the space we have on the paul clark forum at http://www.paul-clark.com/forum/index which is just a place for members to ask questions and get answers from each other on technique theory and gear. Although I seem to do a lot more answering than asking, I believe that its fine for things like that to be free as its hardly comprehensive, and is just sharing knowledge in an informal manner. Also having something as simple as that on here wouldn't exactly be a costly ordeal, but would give everyone a chance to find out about those areas of playing that have been giving them trouble. As a young guitar teacher myself I can see that even the best progressing students benefit from seeing someone else's slant on a topic.

I hope you'll think about this, and not just dismiss it as some one trying to catge help off of better players.

:)

There is already a place here where people can ask questions about technique, theory, and gear and get answers and opinions. It's called the forum.

tritone

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:51 am

tritone wrote:
There is already a place here where people can ask questions about technique, theory, and gear and get answers and opinions. It's called the forum.

where we rely on the good nature of better players and instructors with lots of experience to give away the knowledge that they've gained over years and years of work, thus cutting into their own revenue streams.

We've had discussions about your economic and business acumen before.

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:23 am

fcoulter wrote:

where we rely on the good nature of better players and instructors with lots of experience to give away the knowledge that they've gained over years and years of work, thus cutting into their own revenue streams.

We've had discussions about your economic and business acumen before.

I don't like the way many music forums tend to end up in bitter and lowdown insult barrages, so would rather not start something in my 1st post..however are you suggesting we don't ask each other questions?

Plus, I do actually see a lot of sense in tritone's arguement to figuring all the scale fingerings/cords etc etc out yourself, as I believe it makes you a far more unique player, increasing the the chance of coming up with original phrasing ideas and lines. But surely there's nothing wrong with sharing thoughts on topics?

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:39 am