It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 am

Question before buying my first Stick 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Question before buying my first Stick
Hi all,

Long time lurker and only recently posting since I'm about to take the plunge and take up Stick. I'm a long time player of various instruments (guitar, bass, banjo, lapsteel, pedal steel, etc.) and want to check myself on how to enter this world.

I wrote SE and was told it's more or less 7 months wait time for a new instrument. As much as I'd like to get going sooner, I think getting the right instrument makes sense and that may mean ordering.

Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts about getting a Ten-String Grand vs. a Traditional Ten String. I'm wondering if the Grand may be a good first instrument as the spacing is a little wider and I have what I'd guess are fingers in the 75th percentile on size. But then again, maybe it's more subtle than I imagine and a traditional ten string would be fine. There may be other reasons to go one way or the other that I don't understand yet as well...

Sorry if this is an old conversation. I searched the board but did not see anything specifically relevant.

All thoughts and comments on a good first Stick are appreciated.

Best wishes,

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Question before buying my first Stick
Karma wrote:
Hi all,

Long time lurker and only recently posting since I'm about to take the plunge and take up Stick. I'm a long time player of various instruments (guitar, bass, banjo, lapsteel, pedal steel, etc.) and want to check myself on how to enter this world.

I wrote SE and was told it's more or less 7 months wait time for a new instrument. As much as I'd like to get going sooner, I think getting the right instrument makes sense and that may mean ordering.

Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts about getting a Ten-String Grand vs. a Traditional Ten String. I'm wondering if the Grand may be a good first instrument as the spacing is a little wider and I have what I'd guess are fingers in the 75th percentile on size. But then again, maybe it's more subtle than I imagine and a traditional ten string would be fine. There may be other reasons to go one way or the other that I don't understand yet as well...

Sorry if this is an old conversation. I searched the board but did not see anything specifically relevant.

All thoughts and comments on a good first Stick are appreciated.

Best wishes,
Hi Karma,

I played a standard 10-string for 25 years. Recently I got my first Ten String Grand. The spacing is a bit greater, but it doesn't really impact on the technique. If you are leaning that way, I would say the only reason to not get one is that the Stickup, the classic Stick pickup, is not available on that model, due to the string spacing.

If you've got big fingers, then I'd say go for it.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Question before buying my first Stick
Greg,
Thanks for your perspective. I've since looked at spacing a little closer (measuring comparable spacings on my Stratocaster at different frets) and see that spacing differences are not as great as I might have imagined. So, that has me wondering if I should also consider going straight into a 12 string instrument (I've had it in my mind that I would ultimately upgrade to a 12 string after gaining some level of competence).

My question is this; Do players find that having an additional (lower pitched) melody side string helps in moving chords shapes across the fingerboard? It seems to me that on a 12 string there would be something of a natural relationship in the two lowest pitched bass side strings (for playing roots) and the two lowest pitched melody side strings for playing first inversion chords in the right hand (assuming the hand spacings of classic or matched reciprocal tunings).

Sorry for the long message and basic questions... thanks for any insights.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:40 am