It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am

Have you checked the S.E site lately? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Have you checked the S.E site lately?
Didn't want to put this in Announcements, as Greg or Emmett might want to do that, but have you checked out the new Custom Tuning pages on the S.E site lately? Wow, cool! :)

On a slightly related note, I recently tried out a type of "Deep Crafty" tuning on my GG-10 lately, that was fairly interesting! At first I tried out the "proper" Crafty tuning with four melody fifths (#5-#2) with a minor third on top, but found that very strange and went for a fourth on top instead. Slightly better, but still very weird! :)

In general, I found having fifths on both sides to be very strange and rather weird sounding, but it *was* quite cool having strings 5 and 6 lined up, so you could do octaves on the same fret with one finger. Talk about MONSTER low-note grooves! The other (fairly obvious) thing I found to be a bit of a mind-f***, was the fact that the "reciprocal matching" goes from centre out to edges, rather than across the fretboard. My poor brain just found it a bit weird to move my hands together and apart to play matched/reciprocal parts on both sides, rather than across the fretboard in unison. (It probably just takes time, I'm sure you'd get used to it and then reap some rewards.)

Ányway, I generally found it too strange and couldn't easily practice "normal" tunes, so have switched back to DMR for the while. Might give it a go a bit later on, when I have a second Stick at my disposal. :)

Cheers,

EG

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Have you checked the S.E site lately?
Hi Justin,

We just got it up yesterday. Emmett's really into the concept behind his hardware, which is that the only limitations to the tuning are the bounds of physics (too low to sound good tapped, or too high to avoid string breakage). The new page is designed to make it easier for people who are interested in custom tunings to tell us what they've decided.

If here's anything about them that's unclear, please let me know:

http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/custom/

Most of my experiments with custom tunings haven't resulted in tunings I liked to play as much as the 4ths melody/inverted 5ths bass, but that can always change...it's still Free Hands, no matter what the tuning is.

Thanks to Glenn for his expert scripting!

Happy Tapping,
Greg

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Nice work, Glenn! Very impressive.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:48 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

cool silhouettes. -Rob

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery