It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 pm

Physically challenged. 
Post Physically challenged.
I'm not one to complain, but currently I am in physiotherapy as a result of poor posture and over exerting myself in practice. Not Happy.

I am looking at a serious break from Stick, at least one month, and totally redressing my approach to the instrument.

Let me be clear that my upper body strength has not been good for the last 3 years, (2 car accidents) and this has accumulated over time resulting in further injury.

Please be careful everyone. Get used to bringing your head up from looking down at the touchboard. I know I'm going to have to really get used to reaching for notes, without looking down and this will be a good practice for me.

The main issue is compressing the nerves when looking down and to the left. Compressing the nerves eventually leads to muscle fatigue. I did have a heavy week of practice last week with more breaks, but it goes to show that muscle fatigue is accumulative. My example may be a little severe but I don't think it is unique. Physical balance and a neutral posture is key, including regular breaks which require different muscle movement.

I know how obsessed I am with the Stick and I don't want anyone else to come a cropper.

Later.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:58 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Physically challenged.
Ouch, so sorry to hear that, my super-dedicated Stick-Brother! Hope everything repairs well and you are easily able to adjust to a less troublesome playing stance. I often have to be careful of my own posture and hand ergonomics, as I already suffer neck stiffness and mild RSI from I.T work, so I'll be more careful from now on.

Did you say you've tried occasionally practicing in front of a mirror? I've done that a few times and really enjoy it, as it *does* force you to look up, but still lets you glance at your hands, to get used to positioning.

Cheers,

EG

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:46 am
evilgus wrote:
Ouch, so sorry to hear that, my super-dedicated Stick-Brother! Hope everything repairs well and you are easily able to adjust to a less troublesome playing stance. I often have to be careful of my own posture and hand ergonomics, as I already suffer neck stiffness and mild RSI from I.T work, so I'll be more careful from now on.

Did you say you've tried occasionally practicing in front of a mirror? I've done that a few times and really enjoy it, as it *does* force you to look up, but still lets you glance at your hands, to get used to positioning.

Cheers,

EG

Ah. Great trick. I look down on the fretboard just way to much. Hoping for a speedy recovery, Radkon. Don´t know where you live but during winter time I always dress warm and do some stretching before playing my instrument.

Sincerely//Jan

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Radkon wrote:
I'm not one to complain, but currently I am in physiotherapy as a result of poor posture and over exerting myself in practice. Not Happy.

I am looking at a serious break from Stick, at least one month, and totally redressing my approach to the instrument.

Let me be clear that my upper body strength has not been good for the last 3 years, (2 car accidents) and this has accumulated over time resulting in further injury.

Please be careful everyone. Get used to bringing your head up from looking down at the touchboard. I know I'm going to have to really get used to reaching for notes, without looking down and this will be a good practice for me.

The main issue is compressing the nerves when looking down and to the left. Compressing the nerves eventually leads to muscle fatigue. I did have a heavy week of practice last week with more breaks, but it goes to show that muscle fatigue is accumulative. My example may be a little severe but I don't think it is unique. Physical balance and a neutral posture is key, including regular breaks which require different muscle movement.

I know how obsessed I am with the Stick and I don't want anyone else to come a cropper.

Later.
Hi Konrad,

Not that I've experienced the kind of physical trauma that you have, but I hope I have a recommendation that can help. About 20 years ago I had some real problems with the muscles behind my left shoulder blade and up into my neck, which I came to realize were from practicing for long periods of time with my head craned over to the left, and also from holding my left arm "up" at the shoulder.

Fortunately at the time I was dating someone who was a student at the local school for Alexander Technique. She hooked me up with her guru for a couple of sessions, and I've applied the principles ever since, with no more recurrence of discomfort there, even after playing for many hours at a time.

There are a lot of Alexander teachers in Australia, in fact the technique originated with an Australian actor.

Based on everything you've written, I think you should definitely check it out. It's a very different attitude compared with things like chiropractic care. They are all about teaching you how to heal yourself.

Here's a very good website about it:

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

I hope your suffering ends soon.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I would heed any advise Greg would have on this topic
He truely teaches in a ergonomic fasion
But also the stick is really designed for "touch style" bad pun not intended
After 20+ years of blues/rock guitar I developed what is called trigger finger
and have had 8 out of 10 fingers operated on
I am by no means a stick player ( more like a stick owner who tries to play )
BUT posture and awareness of posture are extremly importin
Take a look at what happened to Phil Collins

Thanks for posting the topic

Tom

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Radkon. I've a horrible back and have taken to doing some quick stretches before playing the Stick.

Whew! There's a lot to remember whilst playing this instrument. Let me see.....

Stand up straight.
No slouching.
Mind the head angle/tilt.
Get the height of the instrument correct - not too high, not too low.
Keep the left arm down at the shoulder.
Tap lightly.
Let the hands do the vertical moving, not your fingers.
Try not to look at the fretboard so much.
Get those hands moving (wait, I listed that one already!)
Keep those thumbs in their proper place.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm already exhausted. :lol:

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:11 pm
Hi Guys.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Dating the friend of an Alexander guru, that's a classic Greg. I'll be sure to take the essence of everyone's suggestions and turn it into a practical reality.

One other thing I've learnt so far is that wrist pain can often be associated with stiffness that has originated in the neck. I noticed, on one of my recent "muscle-dislocation" periods, that my wrist felt like it had an RSI type pain, which was a wrist strain occurring from the whole arm being pulled. It seems that wrist strain is a precursor to RSI, if not kept in check.

So all I'm saying is that it pays to be aware of what's happening with your body and seek help if needed.

It's definitely a learning period for me, like I have to get pro at being a health nut, or at least do something for my health everyday. I've been lucky to have good health for a long time, now the body needs help.

No health. No Stick (Bob Marley) Nooooo Health no Stiiiiiick. Do you remember when we used to sit
in the practice room for hours.
O for an Osram as he made the fire light
Ooooohhh into the night.

OK That's enough!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I sure hope your condition improves and does so quickly, Radkon. I hate to think of someone's musical quest sidelined or slowed down by physical problems.

I'm fighting a physical issue of my own these days. It only seems to happen when I play a 12-string. It happened while playing my old zebrawood Grand, but disappeared once I switched to the Alto. But it rears its ugly head again as I play my SG-12.

My whole left arm, from the shoulder blade to the fingertips, falls asleep and goes totally numb while playing. I know it has to be due to bending of the wrist and cutting off the blood supply. I make a conscious effort to raise my left elbow instead of bending the wrist, but I often regress in the heat of battle (8-10 hour shows in most cases).

It's certainly not as serious as other ailments that fellow Stickists suffer from, but it's a real bummer to not feel the strings or the instrument itself!

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Woh!

I think that sounds serious enough.

The statistics for musicians playing with some kind of physical pain is up 82%. Coming from a drumming background I almost never had any trouble playing drums. It's time to translate the economy of motion that I've learnt on the drums to the Stick.

The only thing you have to careful of with drums is holding the sticks too tight and not sitting up straight in a totally relaxed way, like your body is falling with gravity as the head stay in a neutral upright position. Stick, guitar, piano require a total awareness of how to use all the muscles in the neck right down the forearms and wrist and fingers. Total body awareness, (adjusting the keyboard here)..... lol. If you in trouble at the computer with neck/arm trouble, obviously I'm still at the computer, then push the keyboard way forward and use the desk as a support for the forearms. This takes the pressure away from the pecks and supporting muscles of the neck and shoulder. Definitely helps.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 pm
P.S.

Just read the Phil Collins article. I remember looking at pictures of Phil in Modern Drummer as early as 1981 and thinking he looked kinda cool, BUT I did'nt want to sit at the drums like that. I was almost scared of doing that, having been made aware of the consequences of this kind of posture, very early on in my study.

I'm amazed he lasted that long. Who can say, anyhow that's his business.

I'm visualising what the ideal Stick posture will be for me, before I pick it up again. Time to re-programme.

Program Park

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm